gxine and yle.fi net radio question

Using applications, configuring, problems
liberomureddu

gxine and yle.fi net radio question

#1 Post by liberomureddu »

Hi,
first of all, I'm so happy! With Ubuntu, it took me ages to try to see both videos and net radios from the finnish state tv/radio.
Well, Puppy experience is until now soooo smooth.
Last time, after a fresh install of ubuntu 8.04 and vlc, it didn't work again. There are some discussions in various forum about that, however...

The gxine mozilla plugin didn't work, as I expected, here's the error message:

Code: Select all

No input plugin was found.
Maybe the file does not exist or cannot be accessed, or there is an error in the URL.
and then,

Code: Select all

Network unreachable
http://195.248.86.134/liveklassinen
but saving and opening the link with a text editor (as suggested from someone here), showed me two links, the first one not working, but the second one is the right one!
That's good and enough (compared with my previous experience), but the curiosity remains: does someone know why this happens and if there's an alternative solution, in order to use the gxine plugin?

The tv/radio link is http://yle.fi/.
I put some instructions of what I did in my blog (with a screenshot): http://liberomureddu.blogspot.com/2008/ ... happy.html

Thanks for any help.
Libero
zgp152

Re: gxine and yle.fi net radio question

#2 Post by zgp152 »

liberomureddu wrote:Hi,
first of all, I'm so happy! With Ubuntu, it took me ages to try to see both videos and net radios from the finnish state tv/radio.
but saving and opening the link with a text editor (as suggested from someone here), showed me two links, the first one not working, but the second one is the right one!
That's good and enough (compared with my previous experience), but the curiosity remains: does someone know why this happens and if there's an alternative solution, in order to use the gxine plugin?

The tv/radio link is http://yle.fi/.
I put some instructions of what I did in my blog (with a screenshot): http://liberomureddu.blogspot.com/2008/ ... happy.html

Thanks for any help.
Libero
Congratulations,

Is there someone around who could fix the link opening routine so that it could use a mode parameter. I mean that somewhere in the application, along with the stored urls of interest (yle.fi for example), a switch would guide the player application to dig up the second line of information, thus eliminating the steps described above. In default cases, the switch would not be set. You may know how adblock is managed: it has a list of urls that are handled exceptionally. Perhaps a similar list would work here, too, but in positive sense.

Perhaps the links to bbc.co.uk bear a similar burden since I have had difficulties with them, too.

"Perception becomes reality", maybe some day with this too!

zgp152
liberomureddu

#3 Post by liberomureddu »

zgp152 wrote:

Congratulations,

Is there someone around who could fix the link opening routine so that it could use a mode parameter. I mean that somewhere in the application, along with the stored urls of interest (yle.fi for example), a switch would guide the player application to dig up the second line of information, thus eliminating the steps described above. In default cases, the switch would not be set. You may know how adblock is managed: it has a list of urls that are handled exceptionally. Perhaps a similar list would work here, too, but in positive sense.

Perhaps the links to bbc.co.uk bear a similar burden since I have had difficulties with them, too.

zgp152
Mmmmh, quite weird, I tried to launch the working link from the terminal, using the verbose option (in order to understand what's wrong with the main link from the webpage) , and since then it doesn't work anymore.
I had to delete both .gxine and .xine folders, restart the x server and now it works again.
Does someone have any idea about the reason for this behaviour, or some suggestions about how to track what's going on?
Thanks
Libero
liberomureddu

#4 Post by liberomureddu »

zgp152 wrote:

Congratulations,

zgp152
Sorry, before I quoted you without replying, it was a mistake.
Yes, that would be great. In fact I remember in ubuntu an addon for firefox (or a different mozilla plugin), that allowed to choose from the embedded links.
However, I solved here the isntability issue posted above installing xine-lib-1.1.14-i486 and gxine-0.59-1, so probably it was a bug in the library.

And for sure there's a problem in the way xine works with asx files, even though I have to admit that I never had so great experience with both mplayer and vlc.
Ciao
Libero