Remove Live USB Drive after boot possible?

Using applications, configuring, problems
jameskinds

Remove Live USB Drive after boot possible?

#1 Post by jameskinds »

Hello puppsters!

Does anyone know if it is possible to boot Puppy 4.1 off a live USB pendrive and then remove the drive once the system has booted? This is something that you can do with a CD boot.

If I try and unmount the drive after it boots I get a message saying that Puppy is using the drive and can not unmount it.

I have tried launching puppy with no parameters and also using the parameter "pfix=copy,ram".

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

James

code_m

#2 Post by code_m »

Puppy should copy to the RAM by default.

If you are booting from the USB drive then I would assume that you have your pup_save.2fs on there as well.. and that would be why you can't unmount it.

Puppy copies the files required to tell the PC what to do (the kernel I believe) but not the pup_save.2fs file because this would mean you would need to put it back in at shutdown and the file would need to be over-written. This would highly un-useful because if you crash, any files you just wrote to are completely lost.

If you want to be able to remove the USB drive then you would need to keep you pup_save.2fs on the computer locally (which would defeat the purpose of a mobile USB drive). The only files you would use on the USB drive is the same files you find on the CD.

jameskinds

#3 Post by jameskinds »

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

After a bit more hunting around I found that I was able to unmount the USB drive that I booted from, however I needed to do it from the CLI.

In short the Puppy Mounter in the application menu does not allow you to unmount the drive but "umount /mnt/xxx" does.

What this means is that I can now boot up Puppy from a USB stick, unmount it, and run 100% in RAM. This provides a great environment for web-surfing etc. on remote PC's without disrupting any files on those machines.

Regards,

James

PS: Just for confirmation, I did not have a pup_save.2fs file on the USB but Puppy's mounter app still refused to unmount the drive.

code_m

#4 Post by code_m »

Not sure why the Mount system was not unmounting then. Try using the mut mount engine with the GUI mount.

There's a little button on the bottom-left that says "Engine : default" , click this, check the box, and hit ok.

I'm pretty sure that this only detects different type of drives/files, but it may umount differently as well, so you mise well try it.

jameskinds

#5 Post by jameskinds »

Hi,

Thanks again. I tried MUT but with the same results.

In short "umount" from the command line works but none of the graphical mount/umount front-ends do.

I'm not sure why this is the case. However I am really happy to have found a way to boot off a USB drive and then remove it.

In short it provides a perfect temporary environment for browsing, etc. that leaves absolutely no trace on a borrowed machine.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

James