pup4dos Where are the zip files?[SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
hitchup

pup4dos Where are the zip files?[SOLVED]

#1 Post by hitchup »

Where can I find the pup4dos zip files? The links to them on puppylinux.org fail.

The link reference puppylinux-org.../jrey/
Last edited by hitchup on Tue 28 Oct 2008, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Pup4DOS Murga-Linux.com Links if you want them.

And a big Opps, you posted in the wrong section, you'll get moved for that boo-boo.

hitchup

#3 Post by hitchup »

Using searches, all I can find is traffic about Pup4DOS. I need a link to the actual download of the zip files or an ftp site that stores the zip files. Also, if someone has the zip please include as an attachment to a reply.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Maybe I found it

Pup4DOS check it out. Let us know.

Googled this way : pup4dos +download

hitchup

#5 Post by hitchup »

Bruce,

That is where I found the broken links. If you follow the links at page bottom to download a version of pup4dos zip the links fail. I think it has something to do with a transfer of the wiki server. The wiki transferred but the underlying links or directory structures with the files didn't.

Same result with your wiki write up for puppy w/o CDROM or Floppy or USB. The links within the wiki that point to the zip fail.

Thanks for the reply.

I left an entry on superuser blog but that didn't appear to be an active blog. If you know the wiki meister please forward.

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

Maybe not a problem. You tell me two things.

1) You want to use a floppy disk as your boot loader

2) You can make your own ms-dos boot disk

If true, then I can make you something a lot better than the pup4dos anyway, using a menu system and the real grub boot loader, not tiny. If you don't know how to fill out menu.lst, tell me exactly what you want to boot, all the specifics.

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

hitchup wrote: Same result with your wiki write up for puppy w/o CDROM or Floppy or USB. The links within the wiki that point to the zip fail.

Thanks for the reply.

I left an entry on superuser blog but that didn't appear to be an active blog. If you know the wiki meister please forward.
Don't get me fired. I need this job. I didn't write the wiki or make the links. I was just helping you Google for what you need.

hitchup

#8 Post by hitchup »

I have an older PC w/winME that is patched to boot like w95. It has a 93GB hard drive that has a Disk Drive Overlay (DDO) within the Master Boot Record (MBR). I attempted a full install, Gparted resize=>move balked with clusters greater than the size of the drive. I went to the fall back of furgal an wanted to boot with out CD, floppy, or USB stick.

That's when I searched and found the dos4pup method. If there is another approach I can use the information.

Would still like to see the wiki links fixed.

Thanks for the past replies.

trapster

#9 Post by trapster »

This baby was dug in like an Alabama tick!
Pup4DOS-0.6.zip
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

hitchup

#10 Post by hitchup »

Thanks for the reply and the file.
I'll post results.
Have a busy weekend ahead and might not get to pet puppy 'til next week.
:D

hitchup

#11 Post by hitchup »

I have resolved the boot of puppy 410 frugal and winME from the hard drive without floppy or CDROM. However, I didn't use the pup4dos method because I couldn't make it boot. I think the configuration settings were wrong for 410 and the satahd.

A pup4dos directory was added to puppylinux.ca with pup4dos version6 zip included. So, the file is available for use.

After reading several posts I decided on the Lin'N'Win approach. Rough outline of the procedure follows:

1.Patch winME to boot like a win9x system.
2.Follow the win95 selections of Lin'N'Win.
3.Change menu.lst drive entries to satahd and sdaX in place of idehd and hdaX.

This works but, it isn't as smooth as I hoped because of double clutching between config.sys and grub menu.lst for the default OS (winME) boot. Selection of Linux transfers control to grub which provides another selection for Default OS and Linux. There may be an edit to drop the default OS selection for menu.lst and bypass the second request but, I haven't gotten that far yet.

If there is interest I will edit this post with links for entries 1 and 2 above..

Thanks to Bruce B and Trapster for the replies.

J_Rey

#12 Post by J_Rey »

I'm surprised no one PM'd me like the Pup4DOS page said to, but I didn't realize that with the addition of the new wiki that my Puppy member mini-site (where I had the files hosted) went away. :oops: Now as far as getting ahold of Pup4DOS 0.7 it seems to be up to other users who don't mind sharing, since my Win98 machine broke down and the HDD is probably gone for good. I could also see about continuing development of Pup4DOS if interest is revived....

mmmrr

yes to more pup4dos

#13 Post by mmmrr »

i'm interested: i tried to set it up because i liked the idea/approach but it wouldn't get past the gujin line, [about line 3], in dos after 'puppy'>enter.

i haven't had a chance to try the slightly different directions given by ukbob, i think, in wiki--it may be that ver 0.7 doesn't hang--the idea/approach is still sweet so i'll try again with 0.6 but am eager for 0.7 or tips, cheers, mm

running pup217/412/w98se
toshiba 4010cds laptop
pntm2/266/160mb/60gb

J_Rey

#14 Post by J_Rey »

OK. Well, for now I've restored the Pup4DOS wiki page and eventually will be re-releasing with updated info on newer Puppy versions & including latest Guijin and without the zip/unzip utilities included.