Does anyone here use ONLY Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
John Doe

#21 Post by John Doe »

I use "ONLY Puppy" as far as any POSIX system is concerned.

Still boot my XP install now and again.

Probably around 90% Puppy and 10% XP.

Shooting for 100% Puppy in the next couple months.
gary101

#22 Post by gary101 »

I have used puppy 2.16 as my only operating system since it came out and find that I almost have it exactly to my needs. (I think I will always tinker)

Never needed to go back to windows for anything, there always seems to be an open source alternative.

I still try the odd live CD if it sounds interesting but puppy always seems to do the job for me.
I recently tried Slitaz (I still can't believe they called an OS that name, lol), less than 25Mb with firefox included, very interesting and has some stuff that I would like to implement on my computer. but puppy has the best balance of size, speed and usability for me.
raffy

Yes

#23 Post by raffy »

Yes, and I have installed it (with OpenOffice 2.3.1) in an office with shared printer and Internet via LAN, and they've been using it happily ever after.* :D

Tip: You need to know when to use newer Puppy version for newer hardware. Usually, version 2.17 and up should go to dual core machines.

* Since February 2008.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
lotech

#24 Post by lotech »

I carry my Pup wherever I go, I have it on a tiny flash drive tied to my keychain. I use it for email, simple web page editing, copy files from crashed window$, test internet connectivity on infected window$ before blaming on the lan card. I also keep windows$ files on it they share the same FAT partition, those are what I am doing with the Pup beside impressing my friends such a tiny Pup can do wonderful big things.
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :wink:
urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#25 Post by urban soul »

common mistake is to ask 'whether or not'. I use at least three systems and each has its strength... but only Puppy gets to see the internet, occasionally OS X (but I get more and more annoyed by the many unrequested outgoing connections, - eg. iTunes, Logic, Safari phones home. Also OS X is easy to attack.)
Basicly GPL'ed software means you can release shit because no costomers come after you - just answer with: "it's open source, fix it if you like". The consequence is basically that shit gets released. On the other hand freaks are all over and they come up with creative, amazing solutions. It's fantastic.
As Windoze treats you without respect, you may respond the same way. Use it for warez and hacking only.
alienjeff

#26 Post by alienjeff »

I flushed Microsoft down the crapper in early 2006 and used Puppy as my only OS for around two years. Then I saw The Light and finally got me some religion.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]
noiseglas

#27 Post by noiseglas »

I can work pretty well with just Puppy, it could certenly be used as the main and only OS because off some reassons it is fast and accurate, it is very tweakable it uses not more then strictly necesarely.
But there are some things wich can be improved to my opinion, for example a better structured and more extended packetmanager, for example synaptic as debian uses from known sources, it would be interesting to create one database for the use off many applications into one packetmanager where you can just click to install the desired application
without just searching for pup's and dependency's and try and try before it works, and also to delete it with one click without searching into all maps to find and select to delete it.
Also I still am not sure by working as root continuesly is a save solution, i know it makes it fast and it could be easyer for users, autologin in others distro's is still saver I think.
But practically just as a desktop system I find puppy quite comfortable, but it could be made more comfortable to get and keep more users happy.
benali72

Puppy-only on older boxes, multiple OSs on newer boxes

#28 Post by benali72 »

Our family uses Puppy exclusively on our two old P-IIs. It made them useful again -- replaced Windows 98 and upgraded them to broadband connects with Puppy and network cards. Then topped out their memory at 256 M and 384 M to run Puppy from memory. Secure, fast web surfing from old P-IIs... who'd have thunk it?

On our two newer boxes we have Puppy, Ubuntu, and XP installed. Nice to have 3 OSs... for example, I had a line-speed problem the other day with my DSL provider... it was easy to check that it wasn't an OS problem by testing with all 3 OSs.

We keep all data on its own partition, separate from any of the 3 OS partitions. This seems to me the most secure way to manage personal data. In an era where you can easily multiple OSs on a machine I'd recommend it as a sound design principle for your data security and backup.
magerlab

#29 Post by magerlab »

I use only puppy
currently
Boxpup on desktop
and puppy 4.1.1( why there's no code name for it? :D ) on EEE pc
also i use puppyRus ( not only use but also am involved into russian puppy team)
puppy is not my first linux( Alt linux was also fine but i used the same apps as in puppy)

many people think of puppy as just a recovery tool
it's true but puppy is very good for everyday use
i'm an ordinary, not a geek, may be my tasks are small
but puppy fits them well
web multimedia basic text editing and foto editing
also i now know much more about my system and i'm the player not watcher
working as root is not a problem at all

try imagine if in a real life we had to use ...sudo and pswd to make significant steps :D
roook_ph

#30 Post by roook_ph »

i use pup livecd coz it has everything i ever need

freebasic, mpaint , opengl. plus my pc is old.300mhz celeron and everythings on a low. I wont use winxp if i can make this usb sound card to work.
bugman

#31 Post by bugman »

yes

[though i am in a mixed marriage]
JavaNut13

#32 Post by JavaNut13 »

I use a bit of Windows XP, Ubuntu and Puppy.
ndujoe1

puppy only

#33 Post by ndujoe1 »

yes
can8v

#34 Post by can8v »

I have only used puppy at home for a little over a year now. Prior to that it was my main OS for a couple of years. Windoze has seen very little action at my house since Pizzasgood released Pizza Pup 3. I have since migrated to WolfPup2, then NOP based on 4.0 and now NOP based on 4.1. I love it. I am forced to use Windoze at work for lack of a quality linux alternative to Flash Pro CS3 or CS4, but I still use My customized version of NOP often at work and I have even used it to save our server and a couple of Desktops. My wife is one those users that really has NO interest in learning anything new and even she has finally been won over by Puppy Linux. She really likes the new NOP. That is reason enough for me to love it.
hayagix

#35 Post by hayagix »

No. We would love to never use windows.

Everything has Xp and Puppy installed. Unfortunately, Skype works best in windows and this is important when we are away from home with laptops.

My wife has been using Boxpup now for at least 10 days without rebooting. She loves the look and so do I. Media support is really good outofbox. None of the 4.0 puppies would give her sound.
She loves to play "Scrabble Complete" and that only works on windows. I have setup Parsix linux to run Xp because it comes with VirtualBox Ose but scrabble refuses to run on anything other than the first Xp we ran it on. Could be setup to do that to prevent copies? So, occasionally she will use Xp. Hopefully, I can find a way to run scrabble via linux(puppy preferably).

Muppy is my daily driver. I cannot ask for anything more.

I find the Puppy software selection to be excellent. Thanks to Wolfup for supplying my faves. Thanks to Valpy for supplying the Tor/Privoxy pet which I could not live without due to my situation. The Tor/privoxy pet is the best setup I have run. In most other distros it is problematic.

We hope to see a Buddapup based on 4.1.1.

I, occasionally, bootup remastered Wolfpup, Nop, Buddapup, and more, just for a change of pace. Variety is nice and Puppy derivatives excel.

I would love to see more full-blown derivatives like Muppy Live.
urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#36 Post by urban soul »

hayagix wrote:Unfortunately, Skype works best in windows
:? ?!
ignoranza

#37 Post by ignoranza »

On my PC, Puppy is my only choice; let me explain why

have you ever tried to have whatever distro (ubuntu for instance) recognize your 56k winmodem?
You'd have to do the following steps:
#0-lspci to recognize chipset
#1-no results
#2-get somehow a "scanmodem" script
#3-no results
#4-reboot windows, and see it from control panel
#5-discover that for the linux drivers (by linuxant) you have to pay more than to buy an external modem
#6-wait for DELL to write some drivers that might work
#7-install-compile-configure
#8-configure wvdial
#9-modem does artooo-deeetoooo but won't connect
#A swear like crazy!
#B if done with swearing goto 8

with puppy: click-click-click, modem found, click, connected.
done!
I still have gentoo on my other laptop (for didactical purposes...) and use DVL sometimes for experiments. but on my old PC, that boots in less than 20 sec now, puppy is the choice.
tom4jean

#38 Post by tom4jean »

Greetings,

I am new to Linux for about a month and half, and new to Puppy for two days. I started with Umbutu on my "old" Dell laptop with a Celeron processor. It worked, but was slow. I then took our old windows 98 computer out of the closet (which I was planning on throwing out once I got around to wiping the hard drive) and I put Archlinux on it. (which I love and won't change on that computer as a distribution, it really taught me how to use Linux)

So anyway, after searching through many websites and Distrowatch.com for a good fast Linux for my laptop I tried Puppy.
It took me an hour to decide to do a full install.
I love it, my computer is like a new machine!

As a new Puppy user I do have a few observations based on my limited use and the search I did to decide what Linux distribution to try;

(Please don't take these as criticisms but as the friendly observations of someone that would like to see Puppy get more recognition for the great distribution that it is)

1. When I was reading on the many websites to decide which distribution to try Puppy came up a lot as being fast, but it was also not taken seriously as a main OS.
I think this is due to the fact that is so heavily advertised as running off a CD or thumb drive. I almost did not try it for that reason, it just sounded too "light" and I did not think it would be robust enough for my everyday needs.
However once I tried it I found out that was not the case and Puppy more than meets my needs. I analyzed what I do on the computer which is; use the internet, email, play an occasional game and do word processing. Puppy does all that well and more.

2. This perception that Puppy is not engineered to be a someones only OS is further perpetuated in the forum and even when you install it. In the install process it gives you the option to go frugal or full and "recommends" the frugal install over the full. (I still don't understand why) The whole frugal thing (although I don't think it is intentional) gives the impression that you would not want to use Puppy as your main OS. (at least it does to me)
Ironically even the title of this thread perpetuates the idea of not using Puppy as a main OS.
"Does anyone...?" cynically implies that most people probably would not.

But after searching the forums and reading many posts for and against it, I went for the Full install, and don't regret it a bit.

3. Besides the unbelievable speed of puppy the one thing that set Puppy apart for me, and quite frankly amazed me, is how good Puppy is at recognizing hardware and getting everything working right out of the box. It is obvious that Barry and the team put a lot of effort into building that ability into it and they have done an incredible job. I have a Broadcom bcm43xx wireless card in my laptop that is notoriously hard to get working in Linux without jumping through hoops, and many of the big distributions don't support it out of the box. But Puppy did! Great job.

4. Finally, I also wanted to offer one more thing as advice. Archlinux has put most of their effort into building a system that is incredibly easy to update and maintain trough the "pacman" program, and from what I understand Gentoo has a similar system.
I would suggest that in future developments of Puppy that effort be concentrated in that area. If the team could do as good a job as they did on hardware recognition with making full installs of puppy easy to upgrade and maintain Puppy could end up being a top distribution, in my opinion.

So, yes I use puppy as a full install and as my only OS on my laptop.

But I will also maintain Archlinux on my old win98 desktop.

Finally,we still have a shiny new "slow!" Vista family computer the wife and kids use, but I am slowly "converting" them too!

Blessings,
Tom
edoc

#39 Post by edoc »

Puppy 4.11 on 3 old laptops and one desktop.

The other desktop is Win2000pro but is soon to go.

The other laptop is WinXP but soon to be converted to Puppy as well.

Within a week or two we should be 100% MS-free!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603
sullysat

#40 Post by sullysat »

alienjeff wrote:I flushed Microsoft down the crapper in early 2006 and used Puppy as my only OS for around two years. Then I saw The Light and finally got me some religion.
Hey Jeff,

Just curious, as I've seen some other folks comment about Arch recently, if you could provide some objective comparisons.

I've read and followed enough threads on this forum to know that I've enjoyed your insights on other topics, and given that I have a variety of hardware and issues I deal with periodically, I'd really appreciate your perspective.

Also, if anyone else has any thoughts on Puppy vs/compared to Arch, I'd be pleased to hear them.

One issue I have is that there doesn't seem to be a live version of Arch, which makes it difficult to play with prior to making an installation decision. Also, I can't seem to find any screenshots or apps lists on the website to even get an idea what its got, or looks like, out of the box.

Thanks,
Sully (and another Jeff, btw!)