Laptop sound too faint in Puppy; ok in Windows (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
DaveS

Laptop sound too faint in Puppy; ok in Windows (Solved)

#1 Post by DaveS »

Odd problem this one, probably without an answer, but can anyone suggest why the sound from my laptop should be so much quieter, to the point of being unusable, in Linux, when its just fine in Windows?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
PaulBx1

#2 Post by PaulBx1 »

Sound has been a problem for me too. Seems to be kind of a sore point for Puppy.

One thing I've found is that the volume control of gxine is in the control path, even if you are not using gxine! :( So open up gxine, run the control all the way to max, and shut it again. Then see what happens.
Volsung

#3 Post by Volsung »

Part of the problem might be that there are many volume controls. There is that of the program you are using, that of the OS (Alsa) and that of the hardware. Even with all of these maxed, it is still too quiet? Odd problem indeed. I have never run into anything like it.
[img]http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3843/magussigbc0.jpg[/img]
John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

alsamixer in a terminal will give you an app to adjust all sound levels.

like paul says, gxine is wired up to one of them which is mildly annoying as it makes flash quite sometimes, but once you get the hang of it it's no big deal.
DaveS

#5 Post by DaveS »

John Doe wrote:alsamixer in a terminal will give you an app to adjust all sound levels.
Thanks John Doe, that fixed it. NOP does not show Alsamixer on the menu, so I had no clue it was there.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!