converting pics to JPEG or GIF format

Booting, installing, newbie
eag1578

converting pics to JPEG or GIF format

#1 Post by eag1578 »

Hello everyone,
Still rather new to Puppy, and trying to navigate, and learn. I need to convert pix to JPEG or GIF format (not even sure which format the pics are in at present time). I saved former JPEG pix to my computer (now using Linux) and confused as to how to convert. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

If you just need to do a couple, use mtpaint. Open them up one at a time and select 'save as' from the menu.

To do large batches there is a thread around here somewhere with a utility and a script to do it, but I don't know what it's called or where it is. Hopefully someone will come along and link it up for you.
eag1578

#3 Post by eag1578 »

Thanks. I just tried that. Problem is, I can locate the old JPEG version using mtpaint, but cannot convert from Linux format back to usable JPEG since I cannot locate the folder where it is saved...I only see the individual pics and I am unable to open any of them.
HairyWill

#4 Post by HairyWill »

eag1578 wrote:Thanks. I just tried that. Problem is, I can locate the old JPEG version using mtpaint, but cannot convert from Linux format back to usable JPEG since I cannot locate the folder where it is saved...I only see the individual pics and I am unable to open any of them.
The jpeg format is the same regardless of what operating system you use.

I have a suspicion that instead of saving the file in a different format you have just changed the file extension. If you are now trying to open the file in windows, windows might get confused.

What program is it that you are trying to open the images with? Try doing it from the console in the relevant directory and note the errors, ie

Code: Select all

mtpaint myfile.jpg
The comand file can be useful for checking the format of a file, ie

Code: Select all

file myfile.jpg
Fossil

#5 Post by Fossil »

Hi, eag1578,

First of all let's clear up any confusion. Most amateur camera's save the image to a memory card in the jpeg format. If you are using a top-end digital camera there will also be the option of a 'RAW' format of some kind.
So for all intents and purposes, a jpeg is a jpeg and can be read and manipulated just as easily under Linux as Windows.
When you say 'convert' do you mean resize, or to alter the format to another graphic form for a specific purpose?
Assuming you have successfully copied the original image(s) either directly from your camera, or the memory card via a card-reader, they must be in a folder somewhere within the computer. To manipulate the images first mount the hard drive. Use either Rox to guide you to the folder and then click on the image, which should start mtPaint. Or directly via Puppy's menu with mtpaint. Open a jpeg. Go to the menu, 'Image', 'Scale Canvas'. Select the box directly below the original size, type in the new size. If you wish to retain the same aspect ratio (top and sides) as the original, tick 'Fix aspect Ratio'. When satisfied, click 'Okay'. The image will then be resized.
Go to 'File' 'Save-As' (This is very important! If you just 'Save' the original file will be overwritten.). Then give the image a different name or suffix to the original. Save at around 75% jpeg save quality if you wish to post on the Internet, or higher if you want a good copy. Unless saving back to the same folder - permittable with a different named file - use the left-hand box to navigate to where you wish to save the new file.
I'd guess that the images you have worked on (and hopefully 'Saved-As') are residing in the root / of Puppy. Otherwise, if you've not kept the (dot).jpeg acknowledgement on the end of the images, they will not be recognized as legitimate image files.
For most purposes, resizing and saving to the jpeg format is fine. There are a couple of proviso's. The jpeg format is 'lossy', that is repeatedly resizing the same image will degrade it, as each save removes a small portion of the original's format. Always keep the original safe, work on a backup. Once that 'one-time-and-only' image has been resized, saved over it's original state - without a backup - it cannot be restored.
If you have any questions, problems, etc, please ask.
eag1578

#6 Post by eag1578 »

Many thanks to all who responded. I will play around with the directions, and will advise if I have further questions.
Thanks again!