Password stealing malware masquerades as Firefox add-on

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Password stealing malware masquerades as Firefox add-on

#1 Post by Flash »

Does this apply to Linux as well as Windows?
KC1DI

Re: Password stealing malware masquerades as Firefox add-on

#2 Post by KC1DI »

Flash wrote:Does this apply to Linux as well as Windows?
I would assume that since this malware is Firefox centric, it would affect linux installs running Firefox just as it would windows. Key make sure you know what addon your using in FF and use only those that are neeeded to complete the task you must carryout.
Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

Dancho Danchev is well known & respected, but windoze-centric

He doesn't say if this affects linux, but posts an excerpt, that indicates ca key logger, which logs bank oriented key strokes

Danger for dual booters of crossover, as well

I wouldn't trust it !!

Aitch :)
urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

Re: Password stealing malware masquerades as Firefox add-on

#4 Post by urban soul »

Flash wrote:Does this apply to Linux as well as Windows?
Answer: yes.

It logs the outgoing traffic to banking sites and logs the keys you pressed on your computer keyboard in a quite intelligent way.
37fleetwood

#5 Post by 37fleetwood »

do you know if there is a way to check for it?
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]
Aitch

#6 Post by Aitch »

Scott

Simply check Firefox’s add-ons directory

delete anything you didn't specially install yourself, I wouldn't try uninstall as spammers/scammers often put active cr*p in uninstallers

If in real doubt uninstal/re-install Firefox

urban soul

#7 Post by urban soul »

You know that you have it, because you - the user - has to download and install it. There is currently no known way to install FF plug-ins without user interaction. Uninstalling it removes everything according to http://www.heise.de.

Solution: only download FF plug-ins from mozilla.org. They try to keep their site clean. MD5sum is also available.

BUT: Don't forget to read the user comments; Torrent searchbars are MALWARE (steal your private data) - and they can be found on mozilla.org. Also, for half a day (grumble) the keylogger was awailable on mozilla.org, too. (They promised to check the plugins in future for these routines. But it is very easy to obscure the code).

Generally I consider mozilla.org a clean site run by very experienced admins.

Urban
Aitch

#8 Post by Aitch »

Urban

Would be useful if your Heise link was in English? :wink:

urban soul

#9 Post by urban soul »

Verrry useful, indeed. 8)

...sorry, couln't find any useful english documents.
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Trojaner ... ung/119969 ger.)

"Please let bitdefender do the job to clean your computer, your Out house and your granny."
Edit: -> that (or something very similar :twisted: ) is the advertisment text they throw at unsettled users. What a mockery!!
Last edited by urban soul on Wed 10 Dec 2008, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
37fleetwood

#10 Post by 37fleetwood »

urban soul wrote:You know that you have it, because you - the user - has to download and install it. There is currently no known way to install FF plug-ins without user interaction. Uninstalling it removes everything according to http://www.heise.de.

Solution: only download FF plug-ins from mozilla.org. They try to keep their site clean. MD5sum is also available.

BUT: Don't forget to read the user comments; Torrent searchbars are MALWARE (steal your private data) - and they can be found on mozilla.org. Also, for half a day (grumble) the keylogger was awailable on mozilla.org, too. (They promised to check the plugins in future for these routines. But it is very easy to obscure the code).

Generally I consider mozilla.org a clean site run by very experienced admins.

Urban
sorry if my question offended you, I just thought it was unlikely that anyone would download a plug-in called "banking info stealer", though you never know. what I meant is, is it known what the name of the plug-in/s are that have this issue.I read your referenced site and the add-on is a fake version of Greasemonkey
thanks
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]
SirDuncan

#11 Post by SirDuncan »

At least one variant of this trojan identifies itself as Greasemonky, a popular FF extension used to inject your own javascript into sites to improve functionality.
http://www.privacydigest.com/2008/12/04 ... romeinject

BitDefender says that it installs some javascript and a dll file. If it is actually a dll and not just a file with a .dll extension to hide its true purpose, I don't think that Linux would be affected. I mean, we can't use dll files, can we? Unfortunately, the BitDefender site seems to be the only with actual information, everyone else just quotes them or gives a link to them.

BitDefender also says:
Trojan-Spy:W32/Banker.IVX, Win32/Inject.NBT trojan, Troj/Bancos-BEX, TR/Drop.Small.abw
Notice the reference to Win32. It seems that the javascript part uses something in the dll file that is not cross platform (or BitDefender is misrepresenting things). I think that we may have dodged the bullet here. Still, this should be a strong reminder that we are not invulnerable.

Remember: CONSTANT VIGILANCE!
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath
urban soul

#12 Post by urban soul »

Scott,

no offence here. It is the BitDefender site that bothered me. They try to withhold information about the malware in order to sell their software. This is UNTRUSTWORTHY style. Never trust anti-virus or anti-spyware companies anyway. (The ideal persons with the required knowledge are former malware authors).

On topic: yet another way to spread a FF plugin is to drop an install script + payload. So, next time FFis restarted the plugin is being installed. This is most likely a windoze szenario and would not apply to linux users today (because linux is unattractive to the authors).

I recommend using NoScript! All of these tricks require JavaScript at one or the other stage.

Urban
droope

#13 Post by droope »

SirDuncan wrote:At least one variant of this trojan identifies itself as Greasemonky, a popular FF extension used to inject your own javascript into sites to improve functionality.
http://www.privacydigest.com/2008/12/04 ... romeinject

BitDefender says that it installs some javascript and a dll file. If it is actually a dll and not just a file with a .dll extension to hide its true purpose, I don't think that Linux would be affected. I mean, we can't use dll files, can we? Unfortunately, the BitDefender site seems to be the only with actual information, everyone else just quotes them or gives a link to them.

BitDefender also says:
Trojan-Spy:W32/Banker.IVX, Win32/Inject.NBT trojan, Troj/Bancos-BEX, TR/Drop.Small.abw
Notice the reference to Win32. It seems that the javascript part uses something in the dll file that is not cross platform (or BitDefender is misrepresenting things). I think that we may have dodged the bullet here. Still, this should be a strong reminder that we are not invulnerable.

Remember: CONSTANT VIGILANCE!
Ha, the funny thing is that you can add javascript to any site anywhere, just by adding javascript:<code> in any site.