The last few things I use Windows for

Using applications, configuring, problems
wosifat

The last few things I use Windows for

#1 Post by wosifat »

- Camera - I have a Canon PowerShot S3IS and I use the USB cable and camera's software to transfer pictures to the computer. I may just buy an SD card reader, but I would like a photo viewer where I could see thumbnails of the photos contained in the folders.
- iPod - I'm still looking for a media player that can play songs off of and transfer songs from my iPod (note - I don't use DRMed Apple iTunes songs.) I'll give Songbird a shot. I'm trying to get Banshee to work but I think it said it needed a C compiler.
- Games - I'm a console gamer and don't do much gaming on the computer, but I always want more games. I don't need COD or WOW or anything of that nature though. If there are any programmers listening, I'd love clones of Dr. Mario, Lumines, Puzzle Fighter, some racing games, and a good solitaire game with games that I actually like (forty thieves, pyramid, montana, cruel, eagle wing.) Don't like any of the solitaire games I've tried in puppy yet. Oh yeah, and there's this shooter called Torus Trooper that I can't get working. I downloaded the source file, and got all the dependencies it asked for, and it said "segmentation error", whatever that means.
Other than that, I love Puppy. Works much better on my machine than Windows. I hope to learn more about it.
puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello wosifat,
For the Camera, (My Wife has one very similar), we just use Pmount to open it and Rox to veiw thumbnails. In Puppy it shows up as sda1..
For music, much the same..Puppy 4.1 has an autoplay feature you can set up, but IDK if it does USB yet. IDK which media player will play .acc files, (I-Pod format).. I know Teenpup has I-Pod software, perhaps John Biles knows...???
For console games in Puppy, ZSNES (Super Nintendo) works very well.. All my kids have it. Marioworld, ect.. A little searching will turn up hundreds of ROMS, (Games) for it...( I have like 800).
If an installer told you need a C compiler, download the devx.sfs for your Puppy, and put it with your pupsave, and when you reboot you have a C compiler built in..
Good Luck :D :D
wosifat

#3 Post by wosifat »

I read in the manual to my last camera that you shouldn't hook it up to the computer without first installing the software. I had a friend who hooked that camera to his laptop without the software and it didn't seem to do anything. I just may take the plunge one day.
Well, I don't wanna do emulators. Too much legal grey area.
I'll try to see what I can come up with about the iPod.
disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Did you ever try the camera?
Most cameras either show up as a USB mass storage device that you can mount with pmount, or you access them with GTKam (included in Puppy).
The warning about not plugging it in without installing the software is for Windows - because sometimes Windows stuffs things up trying to install cameras and things if you don't install the driver before plugging them in.
For the iPod you can use GTKpod or I think Gpodder. Or Winde+iTunes.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

In windows I plugin the camera with the usb cable and I get a new device letter. I can than use any program to explore, copy or what ever. No need for special camera software unless there are functions in there you like to use.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
darrelljon

#6 Post by darrelljon »

noiseglas

#7 Post by noiseglas »

Unfortunately I like Sketchup or need to convert a DVD into a Avi or wmv file and things but especially I need music apps like cubase and'stuff, I am heavy searching and trying to find replacements for that, it isn't easy, for example you need a a realtime kernel and so on.
By the way why isn't there a music puplet, I mean a puplet espacially made to run lmms, ardour zynaddsubfx etc at the same time to record and things. Because I still didn't found out how to do this properly I still boot up Winslows sometimes, not mentioned Ubuntu-studio and other "realtime distro" for some reason they are all bloated and slow or otherwise not fill my needs. But I sure in time a genius stands up and creates the real distro. (Wish I was a genius).
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

Noiseglas, you could use this link to see if a pet exists for a program.
Last edited by Béèm on Wed 12 Nov 2008, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch

#9 Post by 106498 »

In regards to games,

tdem.net63.net/linux/files <-- look for supermariowar and libsdl_full. Please note that I think that the menu item is wrong. If it doesn't work change the file supermariowar.desktop(or something like that) to say smw as the command to run.

tdem.net63.net/files <-- look for pingus
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!
wosifat

#10 Post by wosifat »

UPDATE:
Someone compiled PySol. Thank you to whomever you were. But how do you get the music working?
Gtkam will transfer my pictures from my camera to the computer, but only seems to work once, then when I try to transfer more pictures it simply shuts down. Also looking for something what will let me browse folders of pictures and let me see thumbnails of the pictures in the folders without sorting through all the folders.
Got rid of my iPod. Looking for replacement MP3 player and media player software with a good cataloging feature.
DaveS

#11 Post by DaveS »

Interesting wosifat, because I too got rid of my iPod shortly after switching to Linux a year ago. I think the whole open approach to everything in Linux got me to thinking just what a closed up thing the iPod is. nice little player, but so tied to Apple. I now use a latish Sony Walkman (NWZ-S616F) after much testing of various players. The Sony is a real breakthrough, as it functions as a mass storage device AND an MTP device both at the same time with no settings changes needed to switch. this means you can mount it in Puppy just like a USB device, and drag and drop music and videos (it is video enabled, but fussy about format) to it in Rox, BUT it sorts the library into artists, genres, albums etc all by itself. In Puppy, I use Gnomad2 to create playlists on it, and the brilliantly clever Puppy Podcast Grabber to maintain my podcasts. You can use Pmirror (included in Puppy) to keep it synced with your music library too, which is dead simple.
Makes the iPod look totally stone age..............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
GeoffS

#12 Post by GeoffS »

I have a 1,8Ghz P4 with XP-Lite on it. It boots almost as fast as Puppy as long as I keep it de-fragged and 'cleaned'. What I use it for makes that VERY necessary. It is networked with the other Linux boxes but isolated from the internet.
It is only used for the following 3 jobs.
(a) DVD authoring. I have 2 proprietory programs which came (free) with something else and do a very good job, despite chopping up the hard drive and leaving heaps of junk around. One day I'll learn how to use DVDAuthor (under Linux) but maybe I'm too lazy :shock:
(b) PhotoCopying. PhotoCopier (by Nick Cuppon) is brilliant and produces photo copies that rival the best photo copiers. I've never achieved results even half as good using Linux packages, quite ignoring the time wasted in trying!!
(c) Occasionaly - Audio editing. Audacity (under Linux) is good and does most things for me, however I sometimes fall back on CoolEdit which does do somethings better or at least easier.
Cheers
Geoff
panzerpuppy

#13 Post by panzerpuppy »

Just install WINE for Puppy and run all of your remaining Windows apps with it
Now you can finally delete that nLited XP and use the hard drive space for better things :)

If you need the pro features of Cool Edit,you can always download Wavosaur (http://www.wavosaur.com) and use it with WINE. I find it much better than Cool Edit - free software,extremely lightweight and packed with even more advanced features than CE Pro.
GeoffS

#14 Post by GeoffS »

panzerpuppy - Thanks for the tip about Wavosaur, I've never heard of it before. Will follow that up although as I said Audacity does most things.
I didn't make it clear that the box with XP-Lite on it is dedicated to that. It has no other system on it. I sometimes use it to test new releases of Puppy or other live CD distros so the HD space is not really wasted. On my main system (which also functions as a server) I do use Wine for a number of old windows programs. I'm not sure that the dvd authoring programs would function too well and I know for a fact that PhotoCopier will NOT work, I've tried.
Thanks again for the reply
Geoff
E2001

#15 Post by E2001 »

We have 3 machines, two of which still run Windows.

1) My girlfriend's machine: AthlonXP 1800+, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9500, Soundblaster128 Audio, Windows 2003 Server (because I can)... World of Warcraft. Nuff said.

2) Our main system: AMD64 3400+, 1GB RAM, Nvidia 7600 Dual-Head, Audigy2 Audio, ATI TV Wonder Pro (old, but reliable), Windows XP Pro... Used primarily as our livingroom entertainment center. I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on it; but I rarely ever boot into it, because I still haven't got everything to play nice on 2 monitors. Would be running Puppy (less bloat), but xorg doesn't like my LCD for some reason. Someday...

3) This machine: Pentium III 850, 256mb, ATI Radeon 7000, C-Media (Diamond) 7.1 Audio, Generic bt878 TV Card, Puppy Linux 4.0... Doubles as our bedroom TV. Still has Windows 98 SE on primary partition; but I haven't needed to boot it up since sometime last summer. Running Puppy because it is the ONLY OS that can squeeze enough power out of this old junker to let me watch movies in surround sound! 8)
carolus

#16 Post by carolus »

1. Quicken
2. iTunes
3. dial-up via winmodem
4. communicating with customer service representatives for hardware or for internet services

There are workarounds but they are not convenient. The only way to escape both the limitations of linux and the limitations of windows is to dual boot. Cygwin offers almost all the linux command-line tools without having to reboot from windows, and lets you safely use them on NTFS drives, so I install that too, with bashrc and profile matching those I use for puppy so that my environment is identical.

Windows is currently cheap, at least in OEM versions for home users, and for many things offers the path of least resistance. For other things unix is more convenient, at least for the experienced user.