I can`t access my external harddrive

Booting, installing, newbie
ellocodiablo

I can`t access my external harddrive

#1 Post by ellocodiablo »

I just installed macpup 4.1.1f to my compaq presario 700 laptop.I have an external usb harddrive that`s NTFS,but pmount is not showing it.How do I access it to get photos off of the drive.Thanks for any help.

bajaman61

#2 Post by bajaman61 »

Can you confirm with a dmesg command on the terminal/console that the system recognizes the hard drive's existence?

I have a similar system and have Puppy loading form my Western Digital 500 GB hard drive linked in through a USB.

Running just dmesg at the terminal/console # gets lots of output about my system, part of which definitely confirms that the system recognizes that external drive.

I suggest running that on yours as the results would be the first major fork in the debugging chart. (And Puppy auto-detected my external hard drive, making me suspect and suggest this.)

ellocodiablo

#3 Post by ellocodiablo »

Thanks bajaman.Well,I did that and it`s showing there.It even shows the brand of the drive.I back up from XP to this drive,but I`m a complete newb with linux.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

please type "lsmod" and look, if "ehci_hcd" is listed.
If not, type:
modprobe ehci_hcd
Then check, if it is found.

Also type:
fdisk -l
That lists all partitions.

Also try Muppyquickmount, it uses a different way to detect drives:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32575

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

bajaman61

#5 Post by bajaman61 »

ellocodiablo wrote:Thanks bajaman . . . but I`m a complete newb with linux.
Have you read The Rute Guide, a link to which is in this forum, this section I believe? It explains Linux in a comprehensive way. Plus Puppy Linux has a book too, but the Rute Guide is thorough on the general topic of Linux, something that is not easy to find.