Ripple Releases (Puppy with Compiz-fusion, more)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

#201 Post by dinky »

Edit: repeat of above post. Thanks Rolf! Back to work now.

~dinky

cb88

#202 Post by cb88 »

FYI the nvidia drivers ALL just got updated so you might wanna check that out also building mplayer with support for the video accel would be a great idea
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

dinky

#203 Post by dinky »

Thanks mate, can you please give us a link to where we can find the updated drivers? Also, Ripple 06-2 (current stable build) comes with a patched version of mplayer supporting graphics acceleration. I'm keen to include either xine-ui, or vlc with the next release, though I haven't found a way to get Xine working yet with Ripple. Haven't tried vlc yet. Cheers.

aarf

#204 Post by aarf »

let me get this straight, if you follow rhadons link and download MU's pet: ati-stuff.pet
install it into a pup_save and reboot all your driver problems are over? anyone with black backgrounds to cairo dock, and widget all over the screen, tried it?

also just wondering,
if ripple was built on this
"Unnamed pupplet --puppy411 kernel-2.6.27.5 Xorg-7.4 LXDE" from wow at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36592

would all the graphic card driver problems disappear?

particularly of interest fro there is this quote fromMU
"xorg 7.4 supports many new Ati graficscards, that made problems with older versions.
If I remember well, it took 2 years to develop 7.4.
So for users of such new Ati cards this might be the best puplet around."

37fleetwood

#205 Post by 37fleetwood »

I have the un named puplet with compiz and a pupsave running smoothly and just to see if it would solve my video driver issues I used the Nvidia drivers and the sfs files. it's a no go. I love the idea of Ripple and the look but cant stand Rox so I haven't been playing with it too much. I think after getting the driver installed it's more about getting xorg.config sorted out.
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

tombh

#206 Post by tombh »

Okay, so I would suggest releasing a beta, that at the very least, has the following drivers included;

They must be renamed to .tar.gz !

ATI
It seems that you are having success with some of the earlier ATI cards, around the radeon 9000 range, am I right? That would mean that the open source driver is working, this is great because it is actually better than the propreiatray driver in many cases. However the open source driver doesn't support newer cards and the proprietary driver doesn't support older cards; there is some overlap, but in order to support all ATI cards this driver will need to be included --
ATI_fglrx_Pup4.1-8.5.pet

nVidia
The oldest nVidia driver (ie NVIDIA-71.86.06-k2.6.25.16.pet) is not needed as those cards won't run Compiz anyway :(

NVIDIA-173.14.12-k2.6.25.16.pet

NVIDIA-96.43.07-k2.6.25.16.pet

Intel
So what about these Atom chipsets? Has anyone in Puppy got these working in shape or form?

Is wNOPinspect in Ripple? It would be very useful if it is, perhaps renamed though!

A beta update (UNTESTED!) of the cfwizard is attached here also.
Attachments
cfwizard.tar.gz
(125 Bytes) Downloaded 455 times
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

Max Headroom

Tom Thanx 4 Y'r assistance here, Man...

#207 Post by Max Headroom »

But then again this was Y'r baby / idea orginally anyway that Dinky Adopted / Rescued from that Debian Rip Tide :)

dinky

#208 Post by dinky »

Awesome. Thanks Tom. I'll get working on it soon. Massive heat wave in Victoria at the moment, and our 4 month old isn't coping that well, so we might be in and out of here over the next couple days. Will build a beta release to test this shortly. Cheers mate.

~dinky

tombh

#209 Post by tombh »

oh yeah, and the drivers need to put in /usr/ripple_drivers

:)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

37fleetwood

#210 Post by 37fleetwood »

nice to see you back here Tombh, even if it is only for a quick visit :D
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

dinky

#211 Post by dinky »

Wow! It's been hot here! 44 degrees celcius in the city... too hot for me. We escaped to the coast last night, and will probably head back today... so hot! Today we might get a thunderstorm though... point being I haven't done anything yet, but should be able to work on it in the next few days. Hope you all are cooler than we are!

~dinky

puppyluvr

#212 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello Dinky,
Well, I have an interesting bug...
After about 2 weeks of steady use, (cause I cant turn it off..LOL),
Emerald quit... so I opened the GUI, and switched themes, and it came back, except the Browsers!!!
All the other windows have a title bar, close ect.. buttons..except Opera and Firefox!!! (Netsurf is fine, different rendering engine???).
Still usable, as I use it in xvesa on a different machine, and can use it without Emerald anyhow..
Compiz is functioning fine, and there seems to be no other abnormalities so I havnt done anything to it yet...
Very odd that it just affects the two.....
The only commonality / difference I see is Flash is enabled on both, but not netsurf, or obviously other programs, ie gimp ect....
Strange....

@@Edit...I full screened them, and then restored them and they came back....for now......Firefox took two attempts before it corrected...Im using the older Ati drivers, and, as I said, Compiz works very well....Hmm...

puppyluvr

#213 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
@Tombh wrote,
So what about these Atom chipsets? Has anyone in Puppy got these working in shape or form?
Yes Tom, Ive run 4.10 on the Atom chipset smoothly, and will be trying Ripple on it ASAP...I believe it should work..

Also, I want to point out that Ripple sees both my Broadcom bcmxxx wireless (pci) and my Netgear (cardbus) wireless using ndiswrapper and the marvel drivers.
A $14 card at Staples...Sweet....

Oh yea, in care no one has mentioned, the wallpaper setter don`t work for me...

davesurrey

doesn't work with nvidia GeForce4 MX440

#214 Post by davesurrey »

Running an nVidia GeForce4 MX440 graphics card (1GB ram and SiS chipset on K7S5A Mobo). Very common card and mobo by the way.

Tried a full install and also just running from the CD live but although xorgwiz recognises my card and suggests the 96.43.07 driver, I can't get CF to work. To test I set CCSM (Compiz Config) for 5 desktops and enabled cube desktop and rotate. But nada.

Not surprising as looking at /etc/X11/xorg.conf I only see the nv driver under the Device section. So looks like the required driver didn't load.

How can I get it to load correctly?

Why does it suggest 96.43.07 when there is a later one 96.43.09 which has been recommended on the nvidia forum for a while and is even in the Ubuntu packages?

By the way Compiz works just fine with the same PC and card under Ubuntu.

There does seem to be some attempt either to run the 96 driver and/or compiz because I am suffering from a lack of what I believe is termed "windows decoration" ie the title bar and minimise/maximise/terminate icons at the top of the application windows are all missing. An effect that has often been seen on other distros when this combination is incorrectly configured.

Anyone who has had any success with such a driver care to help me out?

Thanks
Dave

dinky

#215 Post by dinky »

Hi dave, your problem is simple, we haven't configured Ripple to work with Nvidia cards yet. It's coming shortly hang tight for a week or so. tombh, the original creator of the cfwizard script has posted a new version for me to try, which I'll be working with shortly. Basically this is the script responsible for configuring your box to use compiz-fusion under Ripple. It also hasn't helped that I didn't include any of the nvidia drivers in the last build. Anyway it's coming, check back in a few days.

@pupyluvr
Wallpaper setter doesn't exist under Ripple, as we're using Rox to set the background; nothing to do with JWM. Right click on the desktop, and go to 'backdrop'. Have a play, and would be truly awesome if you could add this to the wiki. Re your emerald problems; weird. I'd consider wiping your current pup_save, and starting over. This may not be an option. Please let us know how you fix it.

Re the atom chipsets Yay! How have you gotten compiz-fusion under puppy running on them? Can you please list the stats of your machine make, model, etc, and tell us how you did this? Also let us know when you've tried Ripple on it. Cheers.

@others
Forum member aarf suggested I try and extract money from Asus to develop Ripple. Any thoughts on this? I'd love to, but Ripple's not yet supporting any Asus series past the 900. I'm dubious, but I love the idea. How the heck would I work on that one?

~dinky

~dinky

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#216 Post by Lobster »

Forum member aarf suggested I try and extract money from Asus to develop Ripple. Any thoughts on this? I'd love to, but Ripple's not yet supporting any Asus series past the 900. I'm dubious, but I love the idea. How the heck would I work on that one?
They are using Xandros and XP on their machines also.
Contact their technical support/development dept - tell them what you have done and ask for any hardware you need. That would be a start.

It is worth a try :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

davesurrey

#217 Post by davesurrey »

I didn't include any of the nvidia drivers in the last build.
Hi Dinky,
In which case I'm well and truly confused as I thought you had added some nvidia drivers in the latest build. And it seemed to recognise my card and suggest the 97 driver.

Oh well. Better to wait rather than spend time trying to fix something that won't work yet. I'll continue to monitor the thread.

Good luck with your progress on this and thanks for your efforts.
Dave

dinky

#218 Post by dinky »

@ Lobster
Thanks for the tip, will see what I can do. Would be great if I could get some of the more recent Asus hardware... see what happens. Thanks for the encouragement. And you never answered me... assuming you still have the eeepc701 you were using eeetiger on, have you tried Ripple yet? Feedback? Does it match up with eeetiger? What features would you like to see?

@Dave
It all depends which build you had. The test build, ripple_06-3 had the nvidia drivers added, but I wasn't sure what I was doing, and more or less botched it. Try the iso below, fresh build tonight. Nvidia drivers included
---------------------------------------------------------
NEW TEST ISO!!!

ok folks, based on tombh's advice and latest cfwizard script, here is a version of Ripple with wider graphics card support... we hope! Grab the iso, and give it a whirl.

I've added the nvidia drivers into it, as well as the ati proprietry driver. Please keep in mind THIS IS NOT AN UPDATED RELEASE!!!!! I simply grabbed the old config files I had on hand, and added the new material to it. Once the cfwizard and drivers are sorted, then I'll make an updated build.

Ripple 06-4:
http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ ... /test_iso/
Make sure you choose ripple_06-4.iso
The md5sum is on that page too. It will be up within the next 30 minutes.

My wonderful wife and kids are away for the next week visiting family in Sydney, so for the moment I have more time. It is a bit of a novelty... so lets get testing folks! The sooner this is sorted, the sooner the next stable release of Ripple can come out. Cheers!
~dinky

dinky

#219 Post by dinky »

Hmmm, i spoke to quick. Weird problem, I Can't run the cfwizard scrit in the new iso! Defaults into JWM.... Will look at it tomorrow. Oh well... post more soon. Dinky

jtouso

Dinky, hot weather and Ripple

#220 Post by jtouso »

Hi Dinky,
Hope better weather and time to do a better (if it is possible!!) Ripple to work with Asus Eeepc 901...and also with my other pc with Ati graphic chart...
I wait to download 0.6-4-bis with cfwizard fixed
Thanks for all your work (and Thomb and all others)