put firefox 3.0 on now I have none

Booting, installing, newbie
racepres

put firefox 3.0 on now I have none

#1 Post by racepres »

Hey all... just when I thought that I had a tentative handle on this Puppy thing! I got the bright idea that I would "pet get" firefox 3 to put onto my HD installed 4.1.2. Well I should have realized that when the darn installer gives ya a warning one should heed! But... I went on w/ the thing.. found that there were bunches of missing dependancies... and worser for me, I now don't seem to have Firefox at all. Course I can't seem to figger out where the heck it was at in the first place. I'll be looking on another installation whilst I await either a solution or an admonition, as in now I have to reinstall, and start "fattening 'er up" again. Later... and color me "dumb".. RP
malderson

#2 Post by malderson »

I ran into a similar problem trying to install Firefox 3 in Puppy 3.01 (HD). Firefox 3 wouldn't work, and I had destroyed the working Firefox 2. Here's what worked for me without having to reinstall Puppy from scratch.

Since I had used Pupget to install a PET of Firefox 3, I uninstalled it the same way. Then I installed the Firefox 2.0.* PET from the official repository through Petget. You should also be able to download the Puppy 4 version (using Seamonkey) from:

http://puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/pet_packages-4/

Hopefully that PET will install and run properly. Then I just waited until Firefox said it had downloaded an update. (It will routinely check on its own from time to time.) Let it install, and it should take care of any dependencies at the same time.

I haven't tried it, but once Firefox 2 is working, you could probably get it to update by going to "Check for updates" under the Help menu.

Letting Firefox update itself will not change its entry in Petget. Puppy will still think you are using the original Firefox 2 PET.

This process worked fine with Puppy 3.01. Hopefully it will do the same with Puppy 4.
racepres

#3 Post by racepres »

Thank you Thank you!!!! I will try it.
Note that I have already tried the update of firefox at the help "box" . No Go. It actually shuts off and wants to send an error report!
Thank Goodness for SeaMonkey!!!!
RP
racepres

#4 Post by racepres »

Got It!!
Thanks Malderson! You settled me down and got me goin!
I did indeed go to pet get in the install window. Now take a second and look at the installed packages!!!!
Right clicked on firefox 3, to uninstall. Reboot.
Problem solved... Didn't even lose my bookmarks nor those pesky passwords that I can't remember so Firefox does!
Easy Peasy.... But.. That's another topic HUH??
Thanks again for the Nudge! RP