Ubuntu or Puppy?

Ubuntu :)
8%
Puppy :(
92%

Total votes: 61

hillside

#61 Post by hillside »

I've found the conversation to be very interesting and have learned a fair amount.

When it comes to pleasing everyone; it just can't be done. Most folks like apples, but some would prefer a pear. Many people like green beans, but I'd rather have peas. There are even a few people in this world that think pizza's good. :)
DMcCunney

#62 Post by DMcCunney »

WhoDo wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:"We saved X amount of space in the distro!" might be a compelling reason for you, but I might not agree.
Of course. I'm not trying to please everyone; just almost everyone! :P
You can't please everyone. You please as many as you can. My only concern is effects on the existing user base. Like I said, what you are doing looks dandy for new users.
DMcCunney wrote:I'm afraid I see the savings of space as a poor trade-off for potential effects on existing users.
If I had my way, we would STILL be using the full Seamonkey suite, BUT the problem is that I can't make it fit in the current configuration.
2Mb is a lot to a sub-100Mb distro.
I guess my question is "Why do you have to make it fit the current configuration?" Is there a rule I'm not aware of ala DSL's "The distro may not exceed 50MB"?

If there is, I withdraw my objection. It may be the best compromise you can come up with to include desired functionality while remaining at a certain size.
That situation will likely change with the following release. Deep Thought is about "Look, Pa, no hands" - i.e. doing it without Barry - and if we crash well, so be it. We're young and resilient and we'll surely learn by our mistakes but not by being so careful that we won't try new things.
Agreed.
DMcCunney wrote:And if you use the default JWM desktop, putting things on the desktop is drag and drop. If you don't, it's a different matter. Run Icewm and want desktop icons? Run Idesk on top of it, but it's not drag and drop.
I can't answer for the others, but Icewm is definitely drag-and-drop when creating desktop icons for Puppy with Rox; no need for Idesk. Where did you experience otherwise? Surely not in Puppy?
In Puppy. But I've been playing with half a dozen different WMs, including JWM, Icewm, Xfce4, Fluxbox and Enlightenment, so it's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious. I'll play some more and see what happens.
DMcCunney wrote:Computers aren't there yet. You too often do have to be a mechanic and know something about how the box works to make full use of it.

If that's what you want to do, fine, but the goal is you shouldn't have to, and we aren't really there yet.
No, not in ANY iteration of Linux, Window$, MacOS or whatever. MacOS comes closest IMHO, but that comes at a price and I don't just mean dollars. Remember that if you remove the need to "tinker" you have also effectively removed the ability to "choose". One size NEVER fits all.
Huh? Sorry, but that doesn't follow. Going back to cars, if I want to be a mechanic, I can learn what I need to know and hop it up to my heart's content. The fact that I don't have to hasn't removed my choice as to whether or not to do it. I just don't have to to be able to drive at all.

I'm not a Mac fan because Apple tries to make it hard to do that, and certainly makes it more expensive with a proprietary architecture. (And there were cars like the old VW "bug" that deliberately did their best to limit what you could do to to goose them.)

But I'm not the user Apple aims at, and their preferred audience won't see it as an issue. Fine by me. Less folks I'll find myself having to try to support at some point. :P
______
Dennis
JavaNut13

#63 Post by JavaNut13 »

So, why would he want a server with no X instead of the all mighty puppy?

As the blue people would say: "Keep moving" "There is nothing to see here".
Because you can install an X server... What 'Blue people'?
--
:shock:
[url]http://Negativ5.webs.com[/url]
John Doe

#64 Post by John Doe »

JavaNut13 wrote:What 'Blue people'?
Probably a reference to that MS commercial with the guys painted blue dancing around.
mcewanw

small, fast, and flexible

#65 Post by mcewanw »

Puppy is small, fast, and flexible.

I particularly like the way a user can simply bolt on devx_xxx.sfs to provide a good development environment for programming in C

It is an easy to use system, pretty easy to develop applications for, and great for experimenting and learning. It's also a perfectly good single-user desktop system. I have no particular complaint about Puppy Linux at all. If I was asked, however, for what I would most like to be added to it, I would, like some others here, ask for full multiuser capability. Admittedly, not everyone needs that or would ever want it.

On the old laptop I'm currently typing at, multiuser capability (allowing lots of users to log in via the network at the same time, to run their own environments and applications, and to share data and so on) is hardly an important issue. On a networked, more powerful computer though, I'd prefer to share the resources of the machine (and access it from any machine I'm sitting at on the network) - that's something Linux is great for. In practice, I have another, more powerful, Linux box which is multiuser capable (currently Ubuntu) and I can (and do) use Puppy as basically a thin client to remotely log in to that. In my case, such use is less to do with sharing computing resources with my family, than to do with my own interests in computing and computer networking (that was my profession). I'm often experimenting with several machines and with router configurations, and I prefer to sit at one machine and log in to the others remotely (in separate GUI windows, using X or sometimes vnc).

Since full multiuser capability doesn't add much to the size of a distribution (DSL, Slitaz and tiny core linux are all multiuser) I really hope Puppy will end up bringing that back. I don't think it is a trivial matter to get it all working again (involves far more than "adduser"), but I do hope Pizzasgood successfully manages. The idea, and the difficulties involved, has been discussed by the likes of Nathan F (of Grafpup) for a few years now in thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15839
mcewanw

Linux admin teaching

#66 Post by mcewanw »

Also, if you happen to teach Linux admin, Puppy Linux isn't too good for that because multiuser admin is a major component of such teaching. Pity, because, it is nice to give students a live CD of Linux to play with, and Puppy doesn't fit the bill for such a purpose.
Pizzasgood

#67 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, I've decided that I will make that my main Puppy-project for the summer. I won't be able to give it serious thought until then. I'm on spring break now, but I expect the next half of the semester to be even more hectic than the last half.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
racepres

#68 Post by racepres »

OK. I voted now... just got this box, a Dell somtin or other, w/ dual boot win xp and ubuntu, I'll give ya the version later. The college "type" I got it from was using it right along... me! I just spent an hour on it trying to put some [less depressing] wallpaper on it, and make the wireless work... It can find the interface, and the network .. but wont allow connection unless I give password. I did... It didn't! Wrong pw ya say? cntrl-alt-f1 and log on as root w/ same pw no problem.. but no "network-admin" for me! No problem, I will reboot, log-on to "x" as root.... Oh No That is also verboten!! Geeeze! Who's computer is this anyway?? Stuck the Puppy cd in and in a minute or so... here I am!!! Remember that "fun" thing. If all I had was Windoze, and something even like ubuntu... well I would just stick [smugly] w/ my Mac thank you.
Thanks way bunches Barry, as well as all puppy developers everywhere... "god bless you every one".. RP

Edit: OK in defense of Ubuntu, the guy I got this box frm hastily deleted the "initial user" leaving it with root, and "children". After some investigation, I have restored "sudo" administrator, [not root, luckily I got that PW]. and things are closer to "normal". SNAFU
naw... definitely Not Windoze, so I feel better now... not Puppy better , but better.
mac84

#69 Post by mac84 »

I like puppy over ubuntu since I can make it my own.

run it from almost anything.

imagine if puppy had the following of ubuntu?
technosaurus

#70 Post by technosaurus »

unfortunately Puppy has been run as root for so long that many of the core programs are hard-coded for /root (when ~ could have been used) ... hope you have some rubber gloves Pizza
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].
mac84

#71 Post by mac84 »

nothings impossible when you put your mind to it
Pizzasgood

#72 Post by Pizzasgood »

unfortunately Puppy has been run as root for so long that many of the core programs are hard-coded for /root (when ~ could have been used) ... hope you have some rubber gloves Pizza
I know. But I'm good buddies with Grep and Sed.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
VK6FUN

#73 Post by VK6FUN »

I've said before Puppy is just a toy but it's the BEST toy I have ever played with.
Puppy makes broken toys into new toys. Instant computer fun in your pocket wherever you go.
Managing users and passwords is for pompous Unix System Administrators.

cheers

73deVK6FUN
Pete
hillside

#74 Post by hillside »

I've said before Puppy is just a toy but it's the BEST toy I have ever played with.
Your comments make me think of my gardening tools. I used to have a really nice perennial shovel. It's just like a regular shovel, but it's scaled down in size. The smaller size makes it easier to work then you are digging and dividing perennials. Several years ago, I stressed it a bit too much and broke it right at the point where the handle attaches. I tried welding it, but it was never the same. One day, when I was at the store, I noticed a set of gardening tools for children and in that set was a scaled down shovel that looked like a perfect replacement for my perennial shovel. I bought the set to get that one piece and still use it today. It's a toy to many people, but for my purposes, it's a great tool.
zgp152

#75 Post by zgp152 »

Libretto100ct wrote: What it comes down to is this:

Puppy is a thinking man's (or woman) OS. It's for people who have passion in all areas of their life. It's for people who are creative and enjoy individualism. It's not for spectators.......though that degree of usability is obviously well on it's way.
I wish to add: it is for a few languages only.
Some so-called big distros have enough momentum (# of followers if you like) to have the localisation done not too long after the techie language I am using now instead of my native one. But for many Puppy is out since the localisation is not covering as many languages as say, Mandriva or Mint, or Ubuntu.

rgds zgp152
macrocephalic

#76 Post by macrocephalic »

I'm a complete linux noob and I'm the first to admit it; but I need to learn to use it properly. I got the entire way through a software engineering degree without learning how to use linux at all.

My story is that I bought an MSI Wind for a toy - I don't need anything on it - it's not my main computer - just some fun and something to carry around. I installed kubuntu on it - but the kernel version conflicted with my ethernet and I couldn't upgrade it to the proposed version (remember noob, plus upgrading a kernel without net access is a pita), so I tried Easy Peasy (eeebuntu). Easy Peasy worked out of the box ok until I wanted to install an rndis package to get internet through my mobile - but I needed a bunch of headers, installing these killed my touchpad.

I was just about to completely give up on linux when someone suggested puppy. I tried it with a live usb and it all worked (even wireless). I installed an rndis pet and it works with my phone - so already it does everything I need on a netbook (wireless, phone, ethernet, basic applications, fast). I did have a problem with GRUB but I just found out what the problem was - it was because the partition was formatted with ubuntu.

I can't guarantee that I'll have the patience to stick with it forever - but I'll try. Also having one central version makes it easier for n00bs like me because when I find instructions on how to do something I know it's probably going to work on my install.

So so far puppy has been a better distro for me than *buntu - now I just need to make it less ugly ;)
01micko

#77 Post by 01micko »

macrocephalic wrote: So so far puppy has been a better distro for me than *buntu - now I just need to make it less ugly ;)
Want bling?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
JavaNut13

#78 Post by JavaNut13 »

I still use ubuntu. but Puppy is still the best live CD/ USB OS, all the others crash after a while (i.e: when you want to DO something..)
and there are a few bugs with Ubuntu on old hardware, but all I use it for, is to use the GIMP..
--
:shock:
[url]http://Negativ5.webs.com[/url]
bugman

#79 Post by bugman »

JavaNut13 wrote:I still use ubuntu. but Puppy is still the best live CD/ USB OS, all the others crash after a while (i.e: when you want to DO something..)
and there are a few bugs with Ubuntu on old hardware, but all I use it for, is to use the GIMP..
there's a gimp pet, search the forum
maggotspawn

#80 Post by maggotspawn »

I love Puppy. Fast Installs. You have to try to break it, and if you do it's pretty easy to get back up and running. I'm speaking from the vantage point of frugal installs. It's the first and only Linux I've ever tried.
And this Forum rocks, great support system.
[url]http://www.agitprop666.com/PuppyLinux.html[/url]
[url]http://www.agitprop666.com/PuppyLinux2.html[/url]