how do i allow FTP access?

Booting, installing, newbie
bongmaster

how do i allow FTP access?

#1 Post by bongmaster »

how do I allow ftp access through puppys firewall?
I have the ftp server running, and my router is set up to forward to it..

But there is no instructions on how to set the firewall to allow access for port 21 so that i can make it accessable online..

Its only a small basic server (2 1GB USB keys plugged into a 4 port hub, on an old 350 mhz laptop with no hard disk :D i mean BASIC!..) but it should be fine for small file sharing, and will suit my purposes

i'm running BetaFTPD, and puppys default firewall (that runs upon boot)

i dont know how to access or controll the firewall.. everything else is set up and ready to go tho :)

please help if u can :shock:

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

i think you would edit rc.firewall-morizot in /etc/rc.d and change
pupTCP_ALLOW_PORTS=""
to
pupTCP_ALLOW_PORTS="21"

then run the firewall script again by typing
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall-morizot

or just reboot

you can copy rc.firewall-morizot to somewhere in the PATH, like /root/my-applications/bin, and rename it to something convenient, like fw ... then you can type fw to start the firewall and fw stop to stop the firewall ... you could copy it again and rename it to fw-ftp and allow port 21 in fw-ftp, so you could type fw to enable the normal firewall, or type fw-ftp to enable the firewall and open port 21

i think the wizard sets it up this way ... i'm not actually sure, i just copy rc.firewall-morizot to my-applications/bin, i don't use the Puppy-firewall-wizard ... i hacked the firewall script anyway, to disable logging, because i find the log messages from the firewall annoying if i shut down X

bongmaster

#3 Post by bongmaster »

kool :) thnx :) i dont particularly like running it without a firewall.. but i had to do so to test that the ftp server was working.. and it does :)

now i'l try wat u suggested, hopefully iy will work.. :D

will let u know..