How do I use (parallel port) scanners?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Rich

How do I use (parallel port) scanners?

#1 Post by Rich »

How do I install and access a scanner ( parallel port ).
Is there something already within Puppy ( 1.0.1 ) that I can't find, or do I need extra software?

Cheers

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

There is a program called Sane that should work. It should be much easier in your case vs. a USB scanner. It is on the download page.

Guys, is it a Pupget package also?

I seem to remember that the help pages in Puppy have information on it also.

I have not tried it in a while, but should again.

Of course, it depends on your scanner and compatibility with Sane.

What scanner is it?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

I can't remember with 1.0.1, but now for 1.0.3, Sane is definitely a PupGet package.
Also Xsane, the GUI.

shrdlu

HP PSC500

#4 Post by shrdlu »

I have subject printer working beautifully using CUPS and hpijs. I thought I'd see if I could get the scanner to work. (Someday all I will ever need is Puppy!) Pupgot Sane. No go. Apparently, I need hpoj. Before I go down that road, I want to make sure I won't mess up the hpijs environment. Any coaching would be appreciated. Thanks.
If only I could be half as good as my dog thinks I am

alex_b

HP all-in-one

#5 Post by alex_b »

Shrdlu

this is from the HP OJ website
4-October-2005
With HPLIP 0.9.5 parallel port is now supported. We recommend HPLIP instead of HPOJ for all locally connected HP devices.
HPLIP requires the ppdev/parport kernel modules for parallel support. If your device supports both parallel and USB use USB, generally USB I/O will be faster.

The parport module conflicts with HPOJ, be sure to remove HPOJ devices with "ptal-init setup". Please submit all HPLIP questions and feedback to the HPLIP forums.
The HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and Printing) driver includes the hpijs driver with the scanning backend. Have been chasing this to get some HP PSC 1315 all-in-one working for friends that have Pentium I with 64-90MB memory. Under Windoze their scanners will not work. :(

Thanks to Puppy with CUPS it looks like they will have it all :D

Alex
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them"
- Albert Einstein

shrdlu

#6 Post by shrdlu »

Alex,

Thanks to your input I found a helpful overview of how to setup HPLIP: http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/hplip_readme.html
The overview had a very understandable schematic of how CUPS and the scanner backend are wired together. It looks like I would be ok having hpijs installed and then installing HPLIP. One of the caveats was that the HPLIP startup script must be executed before the CUPS script at boot time. I am afraid I am a little out of my depth, but I do appreciate the pointer.

Good luck with your project!

alex_b

hplip installation

#7 Post by alex_b »

shrdlu

Found this post on the Zenwalk discussion regarding hplip
http://www.slackplanet.org/index.php?topic=1132.0

it should prove helpfull in solving your problems with installing hplip :D

Alex
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them"
- Albert Einstein

shrdlu

#8 Post by shrdlu »

Thanks, Alex.

This is a promising thread. Looks like the way to fire up hplip first is to fiddle with the /etc/rc.d/rc.M script.

I am looking forward to getting back to this after I get 1.07 cooking. :wink:

alex_b

Further to hplip install

#9 Post by alex_b »

this was originally sent as pm to shrdlu on 29th Dec 2005
the link is not Puppy specific. the rc.M file does not exist in Puppy. The files you will need to edit are the rc.local or rc.local0 (whichever one you find the rc.cups called in) This is in the /etc/rc.d/ directory, and within this directory will be the rc.cups and rc.hplip scripts as well as the above scripts. The rest of the information works. I got the HP PSC1315 's to work in scanning and printing. I compiled the hplip from source. (Care - it installs rc.hplip in /etc/init.d/ directory, which does not exist in Puppy - need to create it before make install, or rc.hplip will disappear!) I needed python 2.4 , perl 5.8 (in usr_devx.sfs file along with all compile progs and tools for Puppy) to compile it. If you wish the toolbox to work, you will need the other packages (sip, pyqt ). One source is from Slackware (linuxpackages.org), and you will get all compiled packages there.(use 10.1 version) You need to be aware if they were compiled to work with extra packages not in Puppy; as this will cause dependencies.

Sorry, have shifted residence to house-sit a place for friends, whilst they are away. Have not been able to post a more detailed solution.
Alex
- Albert Einstein