Newyearspup 02 Micro, Mini, Midi, and Maxi RC10

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
01micko

#381 Post by 01micko »

Hello 8)

Lucky day today. Found a PC at the dump.. didn't boot, but, it had a cool enough graphics card and another 256 ram.. so now I have an ATi 9200, 128M card and 768M DDR ram..to go with my athlon 2100+ that I built about 5 years ago, but replaced the mobo about 3 years ago. NYP (midi) flies along very niceley now... tux racer works, just used xorg wizard.

For the dev_x are we using wow's?

Thanks

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
MU

#382 Post by MU »

01micko wrote:For the dev_x are we using wow's?
yes.
Mark
01micko

#383 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Mark.

I went a bit cold on NYP for a couple of weeks but now I have renewed enthusiasm!
01micko

#384 Post by 01micko »

Hello

I'm having a shutdown problem since I installed my new (to me :lol: ) graphics card. I get some strange text (looks like memory addresses) and machine hangs, I must hard poweroff. Then when I try to reboot it hangs, halfway through. I can only boot pfix=ram. I've attached my /var/log folder to see if somebody finds a clue. (asus A7S8X[SiS], athlon2100+, 768ddr-ram, ATi 9200, 128M card.) There are no issues with Puppy 4.2, it works ok. Only using Xorg.

Cheers
Attachments
xorg-log.tar.gz
(20.72 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
MU

#385 Post by MU »

the cryptic chars you see indicate a kernel panic.
So Puppy could not shutdown, and you should run a filesystem check.
Boot from CD, mount the drive that contains your savefile, then type something like:

fsck.ext2 -p /mnt/sda1/pup_save.2fs

When it finished, reboot, and try to run xorgwizard again.
The log looks good so far, it uses the radeon driver.

Just the OLD log contains a strange entry:
Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new
And it uses the vesa driver.

But f the old works, and you cannot use the new one even after cleaning the savefile and rebooting, then run xorgwizard, and choose "xorgwizard - force vesa".
Mark
playdayz

#386 Post by playdayz »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 20&t=33705

Hey MU, just in case you think NYP needs another game, the Clanbomber pet I made seems to work fine, at least with my hd3850 and catalyst 9.3.
01micko

#387 Post by 01micko »

MU wrote:the cryptic chars you see indicate a kernel panic.
So Puppy could not shutdown, and you should run a filesystem check.
Boot from CD, mount the drive that contains your savefile, then type something like:

fsck.ext2 -p /mnt/sda1/pup_save.2fs

When it finished, reboot, and try to run xorgwizard again.
The log looks good so far, it uses the radeon driver.

Just the OLD log contains a strange entry:
Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new
And it uses the vesa driver.

But f the old works, and you cannot use the new one even after cleaning the savefile and rebooting, then run xorgwizard, and choose "xorgwizard - force vesa".
Mark
Ok, tried this (blue text) suggestion, of course subbing the name of my pup_save, but it wouldn't start, (drive was mounted). I will point out that this save was on an NTFS drive. I created a new pup_save on an ext2 partition. I still get the shutdown problem but at least my save is not corrupted. Still using Xorg, haven't tried "force vesa" yet. Would a shot of my last screen be of help? It would have to be from my camera, may be difficult to read.
MU

#388 Post by MU »

a screenshot would not help me.
But it would be interesting to test, if NewyearspupMU-02-rc7-mini.iso works.
In the later versions I had updated the DRM modules and OpenGL.
Maybe this causes your crash.

If rc7 works, I could update the xorgwizard to offer to use the older files using an own menu entry in the Ati graficscard section.
Mark
01micko

#389 Post by 01micko »

Ok,

I will download NewyearspupMU-02-rc7-mini.iso and see if that works ok.

Also, I just discovered exiting to prompt (from gui) gives the same error. Sage's problem with SiS? Hmmm.... but only since I installed the graphics card. Sage, are you using agp or onboard?

Thanks for your time Mark, (don't wanna waste it :wink: )

Mick
01micko

#390 Post by 01micko »

Affirmative.

NYP rc7 works ok for me, but, I had no games to test.

Shutdown/reboot is fine, save is fine.

Thanks Mark
Sage

#391 Post by Sage »

Sage, are you using agp or onboard?
AGP (MX400). But it's the same problem for all SiS 735 & 748 chipsets.

You will find that gray's BoxPup is the only Puppy that shuts down correctly on SiS. But I think he said he used acpi-force as default? Dougal discussed this a while back and was worried that it might introduce new issues. Since then I've had none on any machine, so I would recommend that be taken as default. It can easily be overridden by a GRUB edit at start up or menu.lst for permanency. Notwithstanding, there remains a fundamental flaw in all Pups since no other distro exhibits this phenomenon.
davesurrey

#392 Post by davesurrey »

I've not really been following the forum recently due to its degeneration and being verbally abused by someone who should know better but I logged in today and was surprised to find that this old chestnut about shut-down problems on some SiS MOBOs is still being raised.
Sage quoted:
Notwithstanding, there remains a fundamental flaw in all Pups since no other distro exhibits this phenomenon.
Well I have to admit not having tried every distro there is but if you look at the thread you started

Code: Select all

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38072
you'll see that big_bass seems to have a Pup that worked just fine, at least for my install (MOBO with Sis 735 chipset).

On the basis that no-one else reported whether it did or didn't work perhaps Sage you'll try it out, especially as this seems to be of such a concern to you, and give him some feedback. Assuming it's positive it just may be a clue to help some bright dev like MU to find the final solution.

HTH
Dave

edited to correct url.
Sage

#393 Post by Sage »

I am aware of that report from big_bass. Wasn't there a corollary or update from him? I forget. But there are other contributions dotted about that confirm what I find. Some other chipsets also display this phenomenon but may respond to eg BIOS tuning, inter alia; expositions are less clear or inconclusive. Whatever, I've no interest in raking up all the previous discussions.
Since 80% of the 100-odd boards I use daily have these SiS chipsets, it is a very big deal. There may be a few distros I haven't tried and many more rejected but all the important ones shut down correctly, even with Gnome. As far as I am concerned, the SiS748 boards reached some kind of pinnacle. Nothing I have seen since or before have proved as flexible, durable (in the sense of tolerating abuse!) and long-lasting - not even any bad caps.
As any experimentalist will confirm, there's little point in upgrading beyond the AMD XP+ series of SktA chips. There aint nothin' faster because the holdups are elsewhere - HD data transfer and SW, in particular - for routine applications. Professionals would be using Sun or ARM with MIPS, not x86 architectures. 64bit isn't flying too well and M$ products are so bad they kill all thoughts of speed before they gestate. Mr Moore and his Law haven't been taking us much further forward recently. If we could return to teaching assembler (machine code) in the universities instead of iconography there might be some progress, especially if parents and schools could also engender concentration, persistence and teamwork in our up-and-coming generations. VLSI would never have got underway if previous generations hadn't learned high levels of team cooperation. Now it's time for the coders to shine after decades of indolence and misdirection by the failed graduate from Redmond. Shame really, everything was going so well in 8bit. Complexity is no excuse: perhaps folks could design a computer to generate programmes in assembler.......!
MU

#394 Post by MU »

01micko wrote:Affirmative.

NYP rc7 works ok for me, but, I had no games to test.

Shutdown/reboot is fine, save is fine.

Thanks Mark
ok, I will try to create a pet with the older libs this weekend, so it can be used in rc10.
Thanks for checking it out :)
Mark
davesurrey

#395 Post by davesurrey »

Sage:
It was very clear.
I saw that once again you were on about the shut-down problem.

I was trying to help by suggesting you might like to try what big-bass had put himself out in producing to see if it indeed fixed it on your systems. Considering you say you have 100 odd boards then you would make a good tester.
I am aware of that report from big_bass. Wasn't there a corollary or update from him? I forget.
and
Whatever, I've no interest in raking up all the previous discussions.
But even though you say you are aware of his report (it was in your thread after all) I saw no feedback saying you had bothered to check it yourself. Sorry but that seems a rather lazy approach to me, considering how much you have gone on about this problem.
But there are other contributions dotted about that confirm what I find.
I don't see anyone suggesting otherwise.

I've no idea what all the rest of your post is about. Seemed a bit of a rant to me.
01micko

#396 Post by 01micko »

Mark

I tried the Xorg-7.3.1 from the Puppy 4 repo in big_bass slaxer pup and that worked fine, although that is an upgrade. Do you think it would work in NYP?

Mick
MU

#397 Post by MU »

micko, no, I don't think so.
Xorgs hardware accelleration is based on kernelmodules.
Those from 7.4 will not work in 7.3.

You will need the old libdrm.so (/usr/X11R7/lib/) from rc7, and maybe also the kernelmodules: /lib/modules/2.6.28.5/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/.

Maybe it works, if you copy those from rc7.

I have a Radeon 9250 in an old computer, so I can run some tests on my own next week(end), when my C# course has finished.

Before, I have no time, as I must focus on my final project to get a good note.
Mark
01micko

#398 Post by 01micko »

Ok, no problem :wink:

I'll try that out later and report. Don't waste too much time on my issues!

Cheers
Sage

#399 Post by Sage »

davesurrey, I don't care for your arrogance and ignorance, kindly leave the stage. Or better, try harder to follow the plot as it happens. You seem unaware of my discourse with Mark (sorry to bust into your thread, Mark), Dougal and co. Try to improve your reading, research and comprehension. Possibly the first time in sixty years anyone has ever accused me of laziness - I've half a mind to jump on my bike and punch this wacko Brit on the nose. Apologies to RoW for this uncouth fellow - I blame Maggie for our sharp decline in education and moral standards.
davesurrey

#400 Post by davesurrey »

Sage I guess the truth hurts. Hence the insults from you.

Let me spell it out to you again (one last time.)

1.I was trying to help you on something that YOU had raised in this thread.

2. Your response was one of cavalier dismissal followed by a whole heap of unrelated moaning. Take a note out of Blaise Pascal's famous saying, which is pertinent here.

3. From your reply you made it clear you thought it too much trouble to help yourself. I guess you just prefer just to moan on and on and on. At least that will get your post count up.

Sounds like laze to me but, by your latest reply, I'll add arrogance.
I blame Maggie for our sharp decline in education and moral standards
Count me out of that one. My schooling and degrees were over before she came to power. But it does show you like the blame culture. (I wager you are a disgruntled ex-teacher or lecturer.)

The further insults and laughable threat of violence are not worth mentioning. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get on that bike of yours and get out more.

One of the problems of a web based forum is that, unlike Usenet, it's not possible to plonk someone. Oh that it were.