How to configure wakepup2 to use Mitsumi drivers?

Booting, installing, newbie
Mike Easter

How to configure wakepup2 to use Mitsumi drivers?

#1 Post by Mike Easter »

I ask long-winded questions.

My target goal is to be able to boot a Puppy 4.2.1 CD on this particular machine.

It has a funky optical drive Mitsumi CR-2801TE that needs its own drivers instead of the popular generics. I have the driver file: Mtmcdai.sys, also Mtmcdai.386

I have to use those drivers instead of the ones which come on a Win98 boot floppy and modify the Win boot floppy or the setup can't read the Win install CD files. For the Win98 boot floppy, I use the line:

device=mtmcdai.sys /D:mtmide01

.. in config.sys and add the mtmcdai.sys file to the floppy.

That part of the story above is what I have to do to be able to boot from a Win98 boot floppy so that the cdrom can be recognized to install Win98 from a non-bootable Win98 CD.

Now about bootable CDs. That is another separate but related problem for this Mitsum optical drive.

The CR-2801TE optical drive is recognized by the BIOS during POST correctly and the bios can be configured to (attempt to) boot from the CDROM, but it always fails to boot any bootable CD which various bootable CDs have been demonstrated to boot on all of my other machines.

So, I'm trying to make a custom wakepup2 for this specific CDROM. I booted Puppy 4.2.1 live on another computer which has a fdd. I installed the wakepup2 to the live demo and used it to make a wakepup2 floppy. (Which floppy errors required trying a lot of different floppies, since my old floppy media must have deteriorated or something.) In any case, the wakepup2 floppy maker was eventually satisfied that it had successfully created the boot floppy.

However, the wakepup2 boot floppy doesn't succeed at recognizing my funky optical drive with its default cdrom drivers.

The autoexec.bat says it uses "SHSUCDX.COM 3.03, a freeware replacement for MSCDEX.EXE" ie it calls shsucdx which I guess calls one of the .sys files in the driver directory such as aspicd.sys. There is also a config.sys on the wakepup2 floppy which has device configuration lines, but I'm unfamiliar with some of the syntax. In any case, whichever wakepup2 cd driver/s are tried are not successful in working on my cdrom so wakepup can't see the cd to boot Puppy.

So... I'm trying to figure out the correct syntax to change the wakepup2 floppy, presumably in the autoexec.bat and the config.sys so that it will use the proper mitsumi drivers instead of the ones which are default on the wakepup2 floppy.

Maybe I just have to change one config.sys line similar to the way I did on the Win98 boot floppy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Re: How to configure wakepup2 to use Mitsumi drivers?

#2 Post by Mike Easter »

Mike Easter wrote: device=mtmcdai.sys /D:mtmide01

The CR-2801TE optical drive is recognized by the BIOS during POST correctly and the bios can be configured to (attempt to) boot from the CDROM, but it always fails to boot
I'm all better here, but I'm not sure why.

After I fiddled with some custom boot floppies derived from the win98 booter and a custom wakepup2, the mitsumi started showing up a lot better and I could boot the puppy cd, so I'm all happy and don't currently need any help.