problems with Pcurlftpd and JWM at boot

Booting, installing, newbie
Rossco

problems with Pcurlftpd and JWM at boot

#1 Post by Rossco »

Hi,

It was very easy to share my usb external 500gb drive with my network on puppy 4.2.1 frugal insatll (CF flash ide) using pcurlftpd. It seems to work flawlessly with my xp machine immeidately after set-up. I followed this guide http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=294703 but am using netdrive on xp rather than the inbuilt client.

I want this drive to be shared on every boot, so selected this option during ftpd setup. This puts a line in rc.local to initate the share on boot. The only other command I have in rc.local is mkdir /mnt/sdb1 and then a line to mount /dev/sdb1 (the usb drive) in this directory.

I was having problems accessing the drive over the network if I symlinked it to the default ftpd directory for the root user. I read on the forum that a solution to this was to change the root users home directory to /mnt. This seems to have done the trick.

When I rebooted, x, rox and the desktop image are loaded but it appears that JWM does not start. None of the icons load and the main menu is not available. I suspect this is because I changed the root users home directory. Can anyone advise how it might set up pcurlftpd so that my dirve is shared on boot without messing up the rest of the system?

Thanks,

Ross

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Hmm...not a good idea..put root back as it was.
1)You can create a new user with adduser then edit it to have /mnt as its home folder (or whatever), give it suitable privilages...set netdrive to use the new user.
2)Net drive can start from a higher folder...set in profile something like ../ and use the original root setup.

mike

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

As Mike suggests don't change $HOME

I'd want to check if /dev/sdb1 (the usb drive) mounts
before X. Different ways to check, but I'm edit /etc/profile
and comment out the exec xwin
line. Then test if /dev/sdb1 is mounted.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

I wondered about that but access to sdb1 would only occur when an access is made from a remote machine so I assume that would occur some time after mounting. If this was nfs that would be a different matter.(and I couldn't find a free nfs client for windows only servers lol)

mike

Rossco

#5 Post by Rossco »

Thanks for your responses. It dawned on me that it was probably changing the root directory that did it.

I am away from the puppy system just now, but will try adding another user.

I will check that the drive is mounted before X starts, as it is essential that this happens. Later down the line I am planning on running the system as a headless media server and will enable the pfix=nox command. hopefully pcurlftpd does not rely on on x starting as well.

I had assumed that the drive was mounting before X as the command was in rc.local which seems to be executed first, and I noted drive activity early in the boot process (more than just detecting the drive). I had read some posts in the forum where people have had issues mounting external drives at boot as the usb_storage module isn't loaded before rc.local.

Thanks,

Ross

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

I will check that the drive is mounted before X starts, as it is essential that this happens. Later down the line I am planning on running the system as a headless media server and will enable the pfix=nox command. hopefully pcurlftpd does not rely on on x starting as well.
As a server only pureftp only is needed which can run happily without x and can be started before the mounts are ready. Changing the root folder is your only problem here.

mike

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

Rossco wrote:I had read some posts in the forum where people have had issues mounting external drives at boot as the usb_storage module isn't loaded before rc.local.
That about sums up my concern.

GUI, GUI, GUI

TUI can do it, but we wait for GUI, but if you want to "grab
the bull by the horns", then we shall. TUI, TUI

Rossco

Solved

#8 Post by Rossco »

Guys, thanks for the tips.

The desktop now boots fine.

I set up a new user and made the home directory mount, set permissions, and netdrive picks that up no problem in xp.

I also booted with pfix=nox and sbd1 is mounted, and the share also works automatically. I haven't edited fstab or had to explicitly load usb_storage. Does puppy now load this module at boot by default?