Puppy on iMac?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
SnowDog

Puppy on iMac?

#1 Post by SnowDog »

I've read (somewhere) that linux can be run on a mac....Anyone tried Puppy on an iMac?

My daughter (who lives far away) wants a pc for web browsing, e-mail etc., so I'm gonna send her one and was thinking of an iMac because it has monitor already built in & it looks cool (She's 18, so looking cool is probably a requirement)...but I really wanna give her the option to run Puppy on whatever I ship.

I found an iMac G3 233Mhz CPU, 128MB of ram, 4.3GB hard drive, CD-Rom, 15in XGA display, USB, ethernet and modem ports, NO keyboard or mouse, but apparently it will use a PC-USB keyboard/mouse with logitech drivers for the already installed OS 9.2.

I have never seen a Mac of any kind much less ever used their OS, so I'm a bit worried about sending her something that I can't offer long distance tech support for.

If anyone has tried live cd pup on one of these, please let me know if/how it performs, and if there are any issues I should know about.

Thanks
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

No.
Every binary file had to be recompiled.

There are some mac-linux versions,called "linux for PowerPC".
Mandriva , Debian,yellow-dog (google for these terms with "powerpc").

Unfortunately, not every software will work, for example flash is just available for Standard-PCs.

If your daughter is no "Linux-geek", I would suggest buying a "normal" notebook.

Look here:
http://tuxmobil.org/
for recommended models to avoid frustration with nonworking inbuilt modems and other parts.

Mark

SnowDog

Thanks MU

#3 Post by SnowDog »

Thanks for that info MU.
I have Ubuntu 5.10 for PPC, I guess that would do the trick?
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

That should work, and would be a fine system.
But I don't know how easy it is to set up.

I *think* (but am not shure) you cannot resize MacOSX, so you must erase it, install Linux with partitioning the harddisk from scratch, and then re-install MacOS.

If you really want to use a Apple-Computer with linux, do some google-research first... (I'm no expert in that, just read german articles from time to time).

Mark

MU

#5 Post by MU »

But there is a way torun Linux-programs in MacOSX, using "fink".

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/u ... /fink.html

http://fink.sourceforge.net/index.php

heovha

Puppy on iMac?

#6 Post by heovha »

Did you achieve to put Linux on a Power PC old iMac?

regards

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

Well now that Puppy 5 is based on Ubuntu 9.04, it makes sense to choose this distribution for PowerPC users.
It should be possible, too, to use the Woof build process to create a PowerPC-compatible Puppy.

Here are the download locations for the PowerPC ports of Ubuntu 9.04 and Xubuntu 9.04 -
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/release ... owerpc.iso
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports ... owerpc.iso

kilon

Re: Puppy on iMac?

#8 Post by kilon »

SnowDog wrote:I've read (somewhere) that linux can be run on a mac....Anyone tried Puppy on an iMac?

My daughter (who lives far away) wants a pc for web browsing, e-mail etc., so I'm gonna send her one and was thinking of an iMac because it has monitor already built in & it looks cool (She's 18, so looking cool is probably a requirement)...but I really wanna give her the option to run Puppy on whatever I ship.

I found an iMac G3 233Mhz CPU, 128MB of ram, 4.3GB hard drive, CD-Rom, 15in XGA display, USB, ethernet and modem ports, NO keyboard or mouse, but apparently it will use a PC-USB keyboard/mouse with logitech drivers for the already installed OS 9.2.

I have never seen a Mac of any kind much less ever used their OS, so I'm a bit worried about sending her something that I can't offer long distance tech support for.

If anyone has tried live cd pup on one of these, please let me know if/how it performs, and if there are any issues I should know about.

Thanks
Puppy runs on an iMAC , but it has problems detecting the display. I run the live cd and i run puppy as well in Pararrels.

It has issues through pararrels (very slow at some point) but it seems to run ok from the live cd .

About MACOS , it actually the easiest OS out there , figuring it out took me days and it was minimum effort. And generally is a completely trouble free OS, so I do not think you will need to worry about it.

Further more, macrumours forums and excellent video tutorials by apple are more than enough to solve a problem . Personally I only had 1 issue in two years with bad graphic card drivers (when i first purchased the iMAC) and was resolved by apple with an update in 15 days. But I never moved a muscle .

The only thing to be careful with , is what hardware to choose to run MACOS with (i mean printes , scanners etc) as MACOS tends to be a bit picke , but you can again ask away in the macrumour forums (or the regula Apple forums) and be fine .

EDIT:
Oups just realised that this is a dead thread.... sorry ... I am the necromancer lol