running pup linux along side with xp and ubuntu

Booting, installing, newbie
cirabisi2009

running pup linux along side with xp and ubuntu

#1 Post by cirabisi2009 »

ok. so right now i have my netbook dual booting linux ubuntu, and windows xp home. is there a way to triple boot puppy linux, ubuntu, AND xp?

EDIT

my netbook is:

Acer Aspire One AOA 150 ZG5
120gb
1.5gb ram
linux ubuntu
xp home edition
rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

is there a way to triple boot puppy linux, ubuntu, AND xp?
Absolutely. How is your machine currently booting? Are you using the GRUB bootloader from Ubuntu or is Windows the primary bootloader? In either case, you could easily add an entry to launch Puppy.

For the actual location of Puppy, you have two choices. You could split off another partition for Puppy. Or, you could make a folder inside the Ubuntu partition and do a frugal install into it.

For example, you could make a folder named "pup421" at the root of the Ubuntu partition and copy the three core Puppy files off the Live CD - vmlinuz, initrd.gz and pupxxx.sfs.

Then add an entry to your Ubuntu menu.lst file something like this:

Code: Select all

title Puppy on Partition sda2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /pup421/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd  psubdir=pup421 pdev1=sda2
initrd /pup421/initrd.gz
nitehawk

#3 Post by nitehawk »

Don't forget you can boot Puppy from a floppy, and not bother your existing grub.
I do that on one of my computers (along side WinXP and Vector 6).

On another computer, I have WinXP and Debian Lenny,...with Puppy 4.2.1 in a fugal install on the Windows partition,...and boot from the CD.

On another (older) computer,...I dual boot w2k Pro and Puppy from grub.

EDIT: Oh yeah,...Duh!!! You said "netbook".....scratch the idea of a floppy...
Last edited by nitehawk on Fri 03 Jul 2009, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
cirabisi2009

#4 Post by cirabisi2009 »

windows is the main boot i believe.
rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

windows is the main boot i believe.
Does that mean that you have modified your boot.ini file to launch Ubuntu? In that case, you need to track down Ubuntu's boot mechanism. Look for the folder /boot/grub at the root of your Ubuntu install. Can you locate its menu.lst file?
cirabisi2009

#6 Post by cirabisi2009 »

i used wubi to install ubuntu.
Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

What does your XP boot.ini look like??
Post the contents and we can look at it and advise.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett
ICPUG

#8 Post by ICPUG »

If you used wubi then this has installed Ubuntu as a file on the windows partition and uses grub4dos to boot it.

I don't think looking at the windows boot.ini is going to help as this will have two options - one for Windows and one for the Ubuntu boot loader.

I would do a frugal instal of puppy to the windows partition. That is copy the vmlinuz, initrd.gz and pup_421.sfs files from a Puppy CD to a folder called \pup421 on the Windows setup. I guess you will need another PC to get the files on a USB stick to then load onto your netbook.

When you have got the files on the netbook you need to search for the menu.lst file for the Ubuntu loader. I think it is here:
C:\wubi\boot\grub\menu.lst

I am not sure what this currently says. Post it here?

We need to add something like:
Title Puppy on Partition sda1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /pup421/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd
Burn_IT

#9 Post by Burn_IT »

I don't think looking at the windows boot.ini is going to help as this will have two options - one for Windows and one for the Ubuntu boot loader
It will help as he can add a further line to boot directly to Puppy frugal rather than having to go to Ubuntu grub loader first.
cirabisi2009

#10 Post by cirabisi2009 »

sorry i disapeared for a few days, i will try putting those files into the wubi thing. as of right now i just ran it off a usb stick to see what it looks like and i am quite please altho i couldnt figure out how to connect to the internet :P i herd that the puppy 5.0 would support some of the same formats as ubuntu? is this true? if so i would be glad to be a test subject on using it. just let me know.

PS

i have msn and aim.

msn in profile
AIM: alchemywitemage

im on almost 24/7 on both
Last edited by cirabisi2009 on Sun 05 Jul 2009, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Burn_IT

#11 Post by Burn_IT »

Can I suggest you remove your email addresses from your post and put them in your profile.

Leaving them in the post leaves you open to spammers harvesting them with web crawlers.
Varmint

Lucid 5.0.1, Ubuntu 10.04, WinXP, DesktopBSD 1.7

#12 Post by Varmint »

I tried the netbook puppy variants and found them too old to recognise my wifi. I have now migrated my netbooks to Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 and it runs every bit as nicely as 4.20 did. As a bonus, my onboard wifi is now recognised on BOTH netbooks, and it possitively SMOKES! 950kb downloads, dude! Hot D@mn!! Compare that to the Intellinet USB stick I had with rt73 chipset, and the newer version of it with rt3070 chipset, both averaging about 250kb. Very nice, indeed. I haven't tried everything, of course, but I also don't use everything, either, so little matter there.

As to the netbooks and the subject lines above, that info follows:

Acer Aspire One ZG5, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, 1024x600 display.
I left WinXP on this, deciding to shrink the XP partition (sda2) to make room for Puppy and BSD. There are some that say doing this voids the recovery partition, as it won't recognise the new partition layout. This is not true. Boot Puppy from usb cdrom, use GPARTED to shrink /dev/sda2, which is the large partition with WinXP and all related apps on it. DON'T FOOL WITH /dev/sda1, which is the Acer Recovery Partition, unless you wish to thouroughly purge Win$hit from your system. I shrunk /dev/sda2 by about 50-70gb, as I wanted about 15-20gb for puppy, which will become /dev/sda3, and the rest of the drive I left alone. BSD is going on that slice, and ALL BSD variants that I'm aware of seem to install better to empty space with less problems. You've been warned. When installing DesktopBSD (my current choice) DON'T install the BSD bootloader. Rather, after installing puppy and grub (to the mbr of /dev/sda3), reboot into puppy and open your puppy partition. You want a file called /boot/grub/menu.lst and you can edit it, adding the appropriate entry for BSD. The relevant part of my menu.lst file is:

# NTFS bootable partition config begins
title Windows (on /dev/sda2)
root (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1
savedefault
# NTFS bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Lucid Puppy Linux 5.01 (on /dev/sda3)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# BSD bootable partition config begins
title DesktopBSD 1.7 (on /dev/sda4)
root (hd0,3,a)
kernel /boot/loader
# BSD bootable partition config ends
# Other bootable partition config begins
title Acer XP Recovery (ID 18)
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
savedefault
# Other bootable partition config ends

I may install PC-BSD 8.1 in place of DesktopBSD, but that is what I now have. Now then....On to the next netbook:

Asus Edd 701SD, 8gb SSD, 2gb ram, 800x480 display.
I wiped WinXP off entirely, as I have no desire for it on this. I may swap the 8gb SSD for a 32gb model, but for now I'm running Lucid 5.0.1 & Ubuntu 10.4 for netbooks. Onboard wifi is recognised out-of-box on this with Lucid Puppy, and it is very snappy. Haven't tried the camera yet, and may never. Web surfing is nice, though, and I'll probably enjoy this as much as my Acer unit. I don't worry about damaging the hdd with the vehicle bumping around, and I don't feel bad stuffing it into my backpack or bike bag, either. Puppy is my primary OS these days, and I fiddle with the others to add packages I want that aren't available in it, as well as for the sake of learning. The relevant part of that menu.lst follows, and you'll notice right away that I used Ubuntu's grub installer for this, so it is very different from what you'll see if you use Puppy's grub tool:

}
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Lucid Puppy Linux distribution (on /dev/sda1)" {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 2a637f85-6639-4785-b655-0304ce92626b
linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 8a95e665-5898-4255-a71e-2e83adc8ec70
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
}

Don't even ask me what all that means, as I've never used Ubuntu before, except on a usb stick. I may re-install grub with Puppy's own grub tool, as I prefer what's familiar. This is shown so you'll be pre-warned about different distros' grub tools. Ubuntu is Debian-based, and uses the same installer nomenclature. Looks spooky after viewing puppy's grub entry, huh?

I hope this (somewhat) lengthy post is of value to others in determining what they want on their own netbooks. I've found that different distros have their own quirks, some of which are easy to figure out, some not. I like to fiddle with mine. I miss the conky display on the right from puppy 4.20, but I don't need it. I still have this on my desktop machine with it's massive display, and like it. Those that want older puppies can still use ndiswrapper, and there are kernel-specific pets for the other hardware issues in the forum. Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment. By the way, some distros I've actually installed and used on these two netbooks:

Puppy Linux, Slackware 12.2, , Ubuntu 10.4, DesktopBSD 1.7, Helix, Backtrack 4.0....
The above are actual installations. The number I've used on usb sticks is way too many in the past year to list, and I keep about a dozen just to show off to friends and interested parties..

73 de Varmint