Making sense of puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
r22d22

Making sense of puppy

#1 Post by r22d22 »

Puppy appears to be a wonderful fast, efficient operating system. It represents my second attempt to work in Linux instead of microslop - but - there are frustrations with things that don't work. There is a mountain of information in the forum but it isn't organized.
The Petget package manager works for the applications listed. I clicked on them and they installed. But I'm having a problem with Firefox and Skype. I want to uninstall them but following the instruction to "install/uninstall: just click on the Package" does nothing.
When I try to delete them by using Pfind, I get a list of "pieces" but can't tell the puppy files from the windows files.

And so it goes. Clearly fifteen years with windoze doesn't prepare one to understand the language of Linux. Perhaps a degree in programming would help. :(
Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

One buys license to use Windows. He adds third party software, if the software doesn't do right or as expected, he has no complaint with Windows.

My thinking is, if you install Puppy and you get your extra software from the 'official' repository, you likely have a valid complaint with Puppy, because I don't think it should be officially hosting problematic packages.

Otherwise your complaint may not even be with Puppy.

If you want help uninstalling an official package, I'm inclined to help, if you want help.

And if you do, please state with precision:

Puppy version
Package names and versions
r22d22

#3 Post by r22d22 »

Thank you Bruce. I wrote above at the end of about three hours going around in circles.

I have installed puppy 4.2

I downloaded from the package manager Skype 1.1.0.20

At first it worked. Now it keeps rejecting my password and login name even though I reentered the system and reset them. I know it received them because I received an email to that effect in windose email.

As I said, I used Pfind to locate the files so I could delete them and got the list but can't tell the windose files from the puppy versions. I canot find the pup be gone command.

Yes I have a lot to learn.

BTW Skype is no longer listed on any of the 3 official puppy lists and I cannot find a skype.pet to download.
raffy

skype and firefox

#4 Post by raffy »

From what I know of skype and firefox, they install in a single folder. If ever there are other files, these are in the menu system or launcher script, named after the software itself, ie, skype or firefox.

So deleting these files will take care of uninstalling.

For installing, they just decompress to a single folder. Skype requires qt, so you can get a "static" build that has qt built-in.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
jpeps

#5 Post by jpeps »

r22d22 wrote:Thank you Bruce. I wrote above at the end of about three hours going around in circles.

I have installed puppy 4.2

I downloaded from the package manager Skype 1.1.0.20

At first it worked. Now it keeps rejecting my password and login name even though I reentered the system and reset them. I know it received them because I received an email to that effect in windose email.

As I said, I used Pfind to locate the files so I could delete them and got the list but can't tell the windose files from the puppy versions. I canot find the pup be gone command.

Yes I have a lot to learn.

BTW Skype is no longer listed on any of the 3 official puppy lists and I cannot find a skype.pet to download.
I haven't had any luck with Skype's static build either, although it used to work. I think they upgraded their security. It loads, but doesn't accept the login. (a p2p error).
Oakems

#6 Post by Oakems »

Always worth mentioning, that when you install something from one of the official repositories in PetGet, you need to have that repository selected before clicking on the item to uninstall it.

I.e. if you install software from the Puppy 3 repo, then when you go to uninstall it you'd need to have the Puppy 3 repo selected before clicking to uninstall.
fratermus

#7 Post by fratermus »

I.e. if you install software from the Puppy 3 repo, then when you go to uninstall it you'd need to have the Puppy 3 repo selected before clicking to uninstall.
Didn't know that. Thanks for throwing it out there.
r22d22

#8 Post by r22d22 »

Thanks for that bit of information which is not posted anywhere else. I tried for about a week to figure out how to delete Skype. BTW I ran across a long discussion somewhere in the forum where the authors were concerned that a lot of people came to Puppy but didn't stay. This incident displays my frustration with Puppy documentation. Too often little critical pieces of information like that are omitted leaving the newby fo flounder.
Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#9 Post by Billwho? »

Not just the newbies. After reading the previous few posts I finally managed to remove a non working game I had installed from the 3 series repo into 4.20 after months of on and off attempts to work out what had gone wrong. And I have been around for ages now.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.
disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

Always worth mentioning, that when you install something from one of the official repositories in PetGet, you need to have that repository selected before clicking on the item to uninstall it.
I never heard that. Is there a bug report? It is a bug, as the user doesn't know that they have to do this and can't tell which repository it came from. Does it still apply after all Barry's recent updates to petget? Also, what if the package was installed when you were actually runnning the old Puppy version, and you have updated?

I'm pretty sure though that some of the packages I've had that didn't uninstall were unofficial packages, so it shouldn't apply to them.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
r22d22

#11 Post by r22d22 »

In the midst of all this I still haven't found out if there is actually a program called pet-be-gone for removing programs.
Sit Heel Speak

#12 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

r22d22 wrote:In the midst of all this I still haven't found out if there is actually a program called pet-be-gone for removing programs.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17035
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
disciple

#14 Post by disciple »

In the midst of all this I still haven't found out if there is actually a program called pet-be-gone for removing programs.
Petget is for removing programs (as well as installing them).
Petbegone is designed specifically for "removing" built-in programs prior to remastering a puppy CD.
Too often little critical pieces of information like that are omitted leaving the newby fo flounder.
This really isn't a documentation problem, it is obviously a bug :(
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER