Opera 9.64 for Puppy (Do-It-Yourself Guide) [Update Apr '09]

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
irishrm

flash in opera

#21 Post by irishrm »

Thanks terryphi for the reply. Did as you suggested-opera cannot see any flash plug-in and checked that plug-ins are enabled. I have a version of puppy 4.2 which has flash 9 installed. I,m a bit of a noob about linux even though I have been using puppy for some time. So installing flash is still a problem-irishrm.

Terryphi

Re: flash in opera

#22 Post by Terryphi »

irishrm wrote:Thanks terryphi for the reply. Did as you suggested-opera cannot see any flash plug-in and checked that plug-ins are enabled. I have a version of puppy 4.2 which has flash 9 installed. I,m a bit of a noob about linux even though I have been using puppy for some time. So installing flash is still a problem-irishrm.
You need the newer version. Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to download Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.22.87 for Linux. Select the .tar.gz version and download it to anywhere convenient like /root/my-documents . Now right click on it in rox-filer and extract the archive. It will create a sub-directory install_flash_player_10_linux . Inside this directory you will find 2 files: libflashplayer.so and flashplayer-installer. You don't need to use the installer just use libflashplayer.so to replace your existing version.

Now you need to find where libflashplayer.so is on your system. It is probably in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Rename the old version to something like libflashplayer9.so to avoid confusion and move it somewhere out of the plugins directory just in case you want to re-install it. Now copy the latest libflashplayer.so to the plugins directory and do the checks in my last post.

Please post back here if this works for you.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

irishrm

#23 Post by irishrm »

Thanks for the detailed instructions. That worked very well. It took a while for me to figure it out, wouldn't have without your help. thanks again-irishrm

Terryphi

#24 Post by Terryphi »

You are welcome, irishrm. Glad it worked for you. :)

hanzf

Tried - works- thanks

#25 Post by hanzf »

Thank you panzerpuppy. Opera, at first glance, gave me a better and faster feel than seamonkey. Still have to get flashplayer and flashblock to work.
Precise 5.7.1 frugal with .2fs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM

hanzf

#26 Post by hanzf »

Thanks for how to get flash player to work. I like to see only the flashes that I want to see, so I also installed this:
http://palintech.blogspot.com/2009/06/f ... opera.html
Now it all works exactly the way I want.

sheldonisaac

RE: DIY Opera

#27 Post by sheldonisaac »

Thanks you, Panzerpuppy. I followed your instructions, but didn't read the rest of the thread until afterwards.

Oops.

I'm brand new to Puppy (1 day).

I used the static Opera 10.0, works fine AFAICS.

Now what do I do about Seamonkey?
Leave it alone?

Will this be saved? I'm running from live CD.

Thanks much, Sheldon

synth

#28 Post by synth »

Special packages of SeaMonkey 2.0 and Opera 10 with Flash 10:

Cutting-edge junk-free shared builds with lots of useful extras

Get them from this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43950

Woof woof!

Benboom

#29 Post by Benboom »

So far I have experienced a few really bad system freezes with my new Puppy OS and every time it has been when I am running Opera. First Opera freezes, but I can still access other things. Then the other things start to freeze. Yikes!

This is an old Fujitsu laptop C2210; it has only 256 megs of ram (more on the way). Could this be the problem?

synth

#30 Post by synth »

To keep the memory usage to a minimum,open the Opera preferences and change the memory cache setting from 'Automatic' to 40MB or 60MB.

If you're experiencing problems/crashes with Flash-heavy webpages, it's a good idea to upgrade to the latest version with Flash 10 (download link in the previous post).

Benboom

#31 Post by Benboom »

Thanks. I got it and am using it now with the mem cache set to 20 megs. Fingers crossed.

Benboom

#32 Post by Benboom »

Opera 10 just froze on me, necessitating a restart. I couldn't kill the process.

theroar

Desktop like does not launch Opera

#33 Post by theroar »

Love being able to use opera in puppy. I am using opera 10b1.

Everything is ducky, but after changing the icon and dragging it to the desktop as per the instructions... it does not launch Opera.

I have to go in the folder and click it...

I am assuming I have something messed up... any tips?

Using 4.2.1 in a virtual box. =) Loving Virtual Box 3.

XmodAlloy

HALP!

#34 Post by XmodAlloy »

Hello, I am currently on Wow's unnamed puplet v1.1 and have gotten this mostly working. this is the only opera version that I have tried that actually works, thanks!
I am having difficulty getting Flash working, or any plugin for that matter. It seems that i can put any .so file in there, plugin or not, and Opera does not see it, it says no plugins detected, any help?
I really want to be able to listen to music from youtube while working.
PS. Wow, your puplet is AWESOME!!!!

tinsfos_redux

terrific

#35 Post by tinsfos_redux »

Thankyou for this post.
I wanted to use a cloud storage solution using that other OS on my business laptops, plus have access from Puppy on my muckabout desktop at home for those days when I need a quick boot-look-shutdown. When I tried the site homepage using Seamonkey or Firefox, it reported an xml parsing error and would not open the page. Being a simple soul, I decided to use another browser rather than dive into the hows and whys of the parsing problem. I have Opera on a laptop along with Firefox and IE, use it rarely but find it good when I do use it. I downloaded the 9.x version, and it worked a treat. I tried the update route, didn't follow the instructions to the letter and it wouldn't work, then became confused by the number of versions on offer at the opera download site. I reinstalled 9.x, took the offer of an upgrade from the opera opening page, chose slackware, and found myself downloading a file that I had already tried and failed to use. Then I decided to follow the instructions. Magic. The moral of the story is, FTI!