Pidgin .pet for Puppy 4.2.1 - Instant Messaging client

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
bigfoot

Pidgin .pet for Puppy 4.2.1 - Instant Messaging client

#1 Post by bigfoot »

I have updated http://www.killerhippy.de/pet.shtml.

Now available:

pidgin-2.5.8.pet
pidgin-otr-3.2.0.pet and its dependencies:
glib-2.20.4.pet
libgcrypt-1.4.4.pet
libgpg-error-1.7.pet
libotr-3.2.0.pet

All for i486 and all with prefix=/usr/local except glib, which overlays the already installed version at prefix=/usr.
If you intend to install pidgin-otr, see Cypherpunks OTR, then you need to install glib-2.20.4.pet, libgcrypt-1.4.4.pet, libgpg-error-1.7.pet and libotr-3.2.0.pet at first. You may get dependencies errors for libgcrypt and libgpg-error, but don't mind, those are about their own files and a reboot afterwards solves this.

Discuss here about your experiences with my compilation.

I'd be lucky to hear about any use of it.
Last edited by bigfoot on Sun 05 Jul 2009, 12:37, edited 2 times in total.
404.exe

#2 Post by 404.exe »

thanks a lot for your work!
I tried it and it works very well (:

but, can you help me with a little problem?
now, where my pidgin works, I wonder about the fact, that it doesn't import my contacts. I see contacts, who are online, but the others are lost. |:

maybe this is normal, I don't know, because this is the first day, I used pidgin. x)
bigfoot

#3 Post by bigfoot »

Have you solved your contacts problem meanwhile?

My experience is, that if you have a fresh pidgin install or ~/.purple or ~/.purple/blist.xml does not exist, your contacts is downloaded from ICQ servers. Take a look at the file ~/.purple/blist.xml - it should be filled with all your contacts.

Maybe not all of your contacts are online, then they are not shown at the pidgin window by default. If you want to see offline contacts, you can configure that at the file menu:

Buddies->Show->Offline Buddies
yxtbi

#4 Post by yxtbi »

thx bigfood, i have tried it and it faild, my libotr and otr was working too, if i click on this addon than it crashes, with your version all fine ! can you please paste here exact commands for compiling pidgin? ./confugure --prefix=/usr/ --with etc.. maybe it helps me to understand for compile future version self too,

thank you !
bigfoot

#5 Post by bigfoot »

Taken from my pidgin's About Pidgin window:

Code: Select all

Arguments to ./configure:   '--program-transform-name=s,^i486-t2-linux-gnu-,,' '--build=i486-t2-linux-gnu' '--host=i486-t2-linux-gnu' '--target=i486-t2-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr/local' '--localstatedir=/var' '--disable-screensaver' '--disable-gtkspell' '--disable-gstreamer' '--disable-meanwhile' '--disable-avahi' '--disable-fortify' '--disable-dbus' '--disable-nm' '--enable-gnutls=no' '--enable-nss=yes' '--with-nspr-includes=/opt/mozilla.org/include/firefox-2.0.0.7/nspr' '--with-nspr-libs=/usr/lib/seamonkey' '--with-nss-includes=/opt/mozilla.org/include/firefox-2.0.0.7/nss' '--with-nss-libs=/usr/lib/seamonkey' '--with-dynamic-prpls=gg,qq,irc,jabber,msn,myspace,oscar,sametime,simple,yahoo' '--disable-consoleui' '--disable-gestures' '--disable-schemas-install' '--disable-tcl' '--disable-tk' '--disable-nls' '--disable-doxygen' '--disable-dot' '--disable-devhelp' 'build_alias=i486-t2-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-t2-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=i486-t2-linux-gnu'

Print debugging messages: No
  Plugins: Enabled
  SSL: SSL support is present.

Library Support
    Cyrus SASL: Disabled
    D-Bus: Disabled
    Evolution Addressbook: Disabled
    Gadu-Gadu library (libgadu): Internal
    GtkSpell: Disabled
    GnuTLS: Disabled
    GStreamer: Disabled
    Mono: Disabled
    NetworkManager: Disabled
    Network Security Services (NSS): Enabled
    Perl: Enabled
    Startup Notification: Enabled
    Tcl: Disabled
    Tk: Disabled
    X Session Management: Enabled
    XScreenSaver: Disabled
    Zephyr library (libzephyr): Internal
    Zephyr uses Kerberos: No
Let me know, if this is enough for your work on solving your problem.
bigfoot

#6 Post by bigfoot »

I found the error why there is no icon at the internet menue for pidgin.
I have a typo at the file

/usr/local/share/applications/pidgin.desktop
It says

Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/pidgin.xpm
which is wrong and should be

Icon=/usr/local/share/pixmaps/pidgin/pidgin.xpm
You can adjust this error yourself if you use my pidgin-2.5.8.pet.

Update:
I have updated the pidgin-2.5.8.pet file, my own site and the file at rapidshare.
Gedrean

#7 Post by Gedrean »

My usage of Pidgin was a bit difficult at first - Terminal advised me Pidgin was searching for libpurple.so.0 - which I could clearly find in /usr/local/lib but it couldn't even begin to fathom it.
So I symlinked the 0.5.8 to /usr/lib/libpurple.so.0 which made it happy.

Might want to do that as well in your builds to update the pet.

This on a frugal 4.2.1.
mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Thanks for this...needed for yahoo changes and chhers for breasking it down..I don't need otr and was baffled by a recent sfs which included core updates...
Will feedback once tested.
regards

mike
mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Working in puppy 4.12...moved libpurple.so files to /usr/lib...some puppies don't have /usr/local/lib in the path.

For the space concious it appears to run fine without the perl stuff (I used the basic pidgin pet) which saves quite a bit of space.

Works nicely with yahoo update...much appreciated

regards

mike
Vyse

#10 Post by Vyse »

OK...I just tried this out on my frugal 4.2.1.

At first I got an error saying a libpurple.so.0 couldnt be found...but symlinking it solved the problem.

Works perfectly now....no problems with contacts or anything else. Nice!!

Thanks for the .pet.
mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

I noticed binaries were quite large so I applied strip to them and achieved a package size reduction of about 60%...when tested it functioned 100%.
I'm not sure if its puppy policy now not to do this but thought I'd mention it

mike
bigfoot

#12 Post by bigfoot »

Thank you all for the input. I am happy to hear that this pet is useful.

@Gedrean, mikeb and Vyse:
Interesting that some people don't have /usr/local/lib at their library search path I have. Check /etc/ld.so.conf and if you don't have it you can add it right after the line /usr/lib. Running ldconfig afterwards creates the new /etc/ld.so.cache, then all works fine. Check with ldd at the corresponding binary.
Mine shipped with Puppy v4.2.1 looks like this:

/etc/ld.so.conf:
/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/X11R7/lib
/opt/samba/lib
/root/my-applications/lib
@mikeb: Thanks for the tip about stripping. I'll try that.

FYI: I was trying to compile pidgin v6.2.0 and v6.2.1 and had issues with pkg-config which I had to investigate first. Looks like I cannot solve it but I have a workaround.
In detail: Final results of all my work till now pointed out that e.g. /usr/lib/pkg-config/glib-2.0.pc was unavailable so compiling pidgin failed at configure state barking about missing glib. Instead there was a .wh file indexing glib-2.0.pc was erased. I think this has to do with my pidigin currently mounted as sfs file lying under the pup_save.2fs.
My workaround is to use a new pup_save.2fs.
So expect new pet and sfs files!
Gedrean

#13 Post by Gedrean »

bigfoot wrote:Thank you all for the input. I am happy to hear that this pet is useful.

@Gedrean, mikeb and Vyse:
Interesting that some people don't have /usr/local/lib at their library search path I have. Check /etc/ld.so.conf and if you don't have it you can add it right after the line /usr/lib. Running ldconfig afterwards creates the new /etc/ld.so.cache, then all works fine. Check with ldd at the corresponding binary.
Mine shipped with Puppy v4.2.1 looks like this:
Mine (4.2.1, save 2fs file rebuilt two times now) does have the /usr/local/lib - but the program still won't run till I symlink libpurple.so.0 @ /usr/lib to /usr/local/lib libpurple.so.0.58 or whatever...
bigfoot

#14 Post by bigfoot »

@Gedrean:

Have you run

ldconfig
?

This creates /etc/ld.so.cache after looking for shared libraries at the path configured at /etc/ld.so.conf and if so you shouldn't have to symlink any library paths, because executables then "know" where to look.

If it still doesn't run, then try

ldd /usr/local/bin/pidgin
to display everything the binary needs and if there are lines indicated for missing libraries,

find / -iname "<libraryname>*"
(replace <libraryname> with the libraryname without extensions) to locate the path of those libs and check if the exact filename exists there.
Gedrean

#15 Post by Gedrean »

bigfoot wrote:@Gedrean:

Have you run

ldconfig
?
No. While symlinking is an inelegant solution to this, and if I ran it it might change things, the point of it is that this is practically a virgin 4.2.1 - so I doubt it would change that much.

Still, it's no big deal right now, just thought to note that -- it seems 4.2.1 doesn't work...
mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

why not just move the libpurple.so.0 libs to /usr/lib.......then all just works.
Never have liked this /usr/local approach anyway...I move everything I can to /usr for a simpler life :)
john biles

#17 Post by john biles »

hello bigfoot,
I get SSL support unavailable when trying to login with Yahoo.
MSN wants me to install a SSL supported Library as well?
I using Puppy 4.2.1
I only installed the Pidgin pet, do I need to install one of the others?

Update: Does Pldgin rely on Seamonkey being installed as i removed it all together?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.
Makoto

#18 Post by Makoto »

Actually, I think some of the .pet builders did link to some of the SeaMonkey libraries, for Pidgin.

Are there still problems getting the 2.6.0 or greater versions of Pidgin to compile and run under 4.2.1, or so? I'm running 2.5.8, and haven't yet seen a urgent need to upgrade beyond that (only had to upgrade so I didn't 'lose' my Yahoo account... :) )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
DM was on fire!

#19 Post by DM was on fire! »

Is there any way that you can install SeaMonkey and then reinstall the required libraries?
I just burnt my Puppy 4.3 CD and will probably install it onto my thumb drive soon, but I'm not planning on using SeaMonkey and will probably uninstall it to save space.
Should I leave it on? My main IM client is MSN. D:
mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

I'm fairly sure that it's libssl3.so that's needed and can also be found in the firefox install and linked out to /usr/lib but running pidgin from the command line may clarify this

mike