Which IDE is best for Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
polymath

Which IDE is best for Puppy?

#1 Post by polymath »

what IDEs are the best for development in puppy? I know Code::Blocks is good, but it has additional dependencies on wxWidgets... i know that we have GTK, so is anjuta a good choice? yes, i know of the handy features of geaney, but i'm looking for something a little "heavier". Is there another IDE that is very popular among puppy devs?
gposil

#2 Post by gposil »

The question really hinges on what programming language you plan to use...there are a multitude of excellent ide's available, but as usual it is "horses for courses"...

Barry's idea is that vala/genie will be the defacto development language, so Valide would be your choice, however if you are used to c/gtk then Anjuta is a fine choice...but, I still prefer Geany for pure c programming...each to their own.

If you are looking for more than an ide, that is a RAD environment, then be prepared to endure a bit of flack from the Puppy Community...RAD=BIG, therefore don't consider environments such as VDK Builder or Lazarus, unless you are developing for a much wider audience than Puppy, or are really interested in Cross-Compiling for different platforms.
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]
polymath

#3 Post by polymath »

well yes. i am not a huge fan of RAD anyway, so that won't be a problem. thing is i was *contemplating* reviving my old develpup project, though with smaller ambitions to be a puppy developing for puppy type of distro instead of one size fits all devs type idea :D.

Anyway, i've been trying to compile anjuta for a few days now. unfortunatly, gnome is dependency hell. there are so many libraries... i was hoping to do something that wouldn't require any more libs then are in standard puppy (to make it so that if something runs, it shouldn't require porting or a rewrite for standard puppy...), after all, if i include wxWidgets, there's a temptation to dev with it... well i'm rambling. i'm hoping to compile everything from source in 4.2.1, replacing pwidgets with conky, etc, etc. If i can get anjuta and a few plugins working in an sfs i might upload it- all of the stuff i can see is for dingo 400.
polymath

#4 Post by polymath »

well... does anybody happen to know when a version of puppy will come out that will have current versions of gtk et all? Seriously, i'm in ./configure pkg-config hell. i tried installing two versions side by side so i don't break the rest of the packages... but then, pkg-config sees gtk in /opt but no matter what flags i choose gcc does not want to see the libs. i even tried hacking ld.so.conf but then i get linker errors...

So, will puppy 5.x series have new packages? i could compile EVERYTHING from scratch... but that would defeat the purpose. i'm trying to set up an environment where i can dev for puppy, not my own hacked deriv.