Kernel 2.6.11.7 for puppy 1.0.7

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
bombayrockers

Kernel 2.6.11.7 for puppy 1.0.7

#1 Post by bombayrockers »

I have ported the /lib/modules from puppy 1.0.2 into the puppy 1.0.7 image.gz. Also took the /etc/modprobe.* and updated the module init tools to work with kernel 2.6. The kernel is also taken from puppy 1.0.2. Every thing in this was compiled by Barry (nothing has been changed / No patches applied).

The good news is that kernel 2.6.11.7 from puppy 1.0.2 is working with Xorg in puppy 1.0.7 as well as Xvesa. Sound / Net working on my box.

So if puppy 1.0.2 worked well for you (there were no hardware issues) and you want want to try the 2.6 kernel then download the .tar from
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?c ... k26107.tar

Extract the contents (vmlinuz and image.gz). Backup you old vmlinuz and image.gz and replace them with these. Use ramdisk_size=14000 in your boot paramaters.

If you need more hardware support the complete set of modules is available at http://www.pupweb.org/test/modules-comp ... 1.7.tar.gz

Try and Tell.
Last edited by bombayrockers on Fri 06 Jan 2006, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
MU

#2 Post by MU »

mirror:
http://dotpups.de/puppy-releases/1.0.7/Kernel-2.6/

Thanks Bombay, thats certainly a great one :-)
Mark
vern72023

#3 Post by vern72023 »

cool
network works for me now with this
curiously i have to set torsmo to use its own window for it to work as it did under the old kernel ( otherwise it bllinks out and then back in when it updates)
OOo initializes a little faster now I think but that is subjective
Wine seems to as well whiich is one of my main concerns

will kick it around today

otherwise it rocks
george
New Puppy Fan

Re: Kernel 2.6.11.7 for puppy 1.0.7

#4 Post by New Puppy Fan »

bombayrockers wrote: Extract the contents (vmlinuz and image.gz). Backup you old vmlinuz and image.gz and replace them with these. Use ramdisk_size=14000 in your boot paramaters.

Try and Tell.
Perfect idea! Could you write more details how to do this? I have 1.0.2 on HD partition right now, downloaded Puppy 1.0.7 multisession .iso and k26107.tar. What next? How can I install 1.0.7 on HD if I work on 2.6 kernel? Sorry for dumb questions.
bombayrockers

#5 Post by bombayrockers »

New Puppy Fan,
I am sorry for I cannot help you with HD installs, cause I have no experience with HD installs.

You need to specify the ramdisk_size paramater at bootup. This is how it can be done.
Download Wakepup1.1c from http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ht=wakepup

[quote]
How to make the WakePup Puppy floppy disk
-----------------------------------------

With a formatted 1.44MB diskette in the floppy drive, do one of the following:

1) In DOS/Windows, unzip WKPUP11C.ZIP in a temp dir and execute MAKEDISK.BAT

2) In Linux, copy WKPUP11C.ZIP to a temp dir and execute:

# unzip WKPUP11C.ZIP
# dd if=WKPUP11C.IMG of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
[ /quote]

2. Edit all .cfg files in the floppy and put this line in them

Code: Select all

ramdisk_size=14000
3.Copy pupxide file from the floppy to the fat partition where the usr_cram.fs is stored. If you are a cd-rom user, copy usr_cram.fs from you cd to this partition. extract vmlinuz and image.gz from the k26107.tar to a temp folder and then move them to the same fat partition. So suppose that d: is you FAT partition the d:\
should contain
vmlinuz & image.gz (from k26107.tar)
usr_cram.fs from cd
pupxide from the wakepup floppy

4.boot using wakepup
Leon

#6 Post by Leon »

That's wonderful!

Everything seems to work faster on my Intel P4 1,7 GHz, 256 MB Ram, Puppy 1.7, Xvesa mode.

Thank you very much, bombayrockers!
New Puppy Fan

2.6.11.7 kernel in Puppy 1.0.7 on HD

#7 Post by New Puppy Fan »

bombayrockers wrote:New Puppy Fan,
I am sorry for I cannot help you with HD installs, cause I have no experience with HD installs.
Bombayrockers, thank you so much for detailed explanation. Finally, I started Puppy 1.07 with 2.6 kernel. It's AMAZING! I can't believe it's so easy. I even installed it on my hard drive (using option2). Everything seems to be working, I didn't have much time for testing. There was only 1 trick in installation process when vmlinuz should be copied from "original" 1.0.7 CD to Puppy partition. I had to rewrite CD replacing "original" files with files from k26107.tar.
Thank you, guys, for great PUPPY project.

P.S. Maybe you could figure out how to run Grafpup on 2.6.kernel? It
might be another revolution!
bombayrockers

#8 Post by bombayrockers »

Because grafpup is based on puppy the same thing has to be done with the image.gz from grafpup. This is just an assumption as i have never used grafup. If Nathan F has not changed much in the /etc/rc.d folder it is possible. This should work with grafpup based on 1.0.6

If you are a grafpup user and want to try this is a how - to

1. copy the image.gz from grafpup to a temporary folder on HD.
2. Navigate to that dir using rox.
3. open a terminal using xterm here
4. run command -> gunzip image.gz
5. now you will have a file called image in the folder
6. run command -> mount -o loop image /mnt/data
7. this will mount the contents in image.gz on /mnt/data
8. Navigate to /mnt/data and copy all the contents on /my-documents/imagegp using rox
9. navigate to /lib in imagegp. delete the modules folder
10. Similarly copy the image.gz from k26107.tar to a temporary folder
11. navigate to that folder using rox
12. xterm here -> run command -> gunzip image.gz
13. unmount /mnt/data using umount /dev/loop2
14 run command -> mount -o loop image /mnt/data
15 navigate to /mnt/data/lib/
16 copy the modules folder to /my-documents/imagegp/lib
17 also copy /mnt/data/etc/modules.conf modules.conf0 modprobe.conf and modprobe.conf0 to /my-documents/imagegp/etc/
18 in an terminal run command -> umount /dev/loop2
19 see what is the size of you imagegp folder
20 suppose it is 13 Mb then the size of the new image would be 13*1024 =13312
21 run command -> dd if=/dev/zero of=/"path to new temp folder on HD"/image bs=1k count=value obtained by calculation
22 run commands ->
mke2fs -F -m 0 -b 1024 /"path to temp folder"/image
mkdir /mnt/tmpimage
mount -o loop /"path to temp folder"/image /mnt/tmpimage
copy the files from /my-doc../imagegp to /mnt/tmpimage
umount tmpimage
gzip /"path to temp folder"/image
23 use kernel from k26107.tar and and ramdisk_size=a number greater than the value given by calculation above
puppypilgrim

#9 Post by puppypilgrim »

What is the advantage of running kernel 2.6 versus 2.4 using Puppy?
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

In Puppy 1.0.2 kernel 2.6 was faster (on some machines) and supported more hardware. At the time Barry intended to make Puppy able to support both the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. That seems to have happened.

Personaly I preferred the 2.6 kernel. We changed back because of problems writing the pup001 to NTFS. Is this now working?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
bombayrockers

#11 Post by bombayrockers »

Lobster,
BarryK reverted to kernel 2.4 because of the ntfs problems and I have made this version from puppy 1.0.2, so I guess the pupxxx file problem stays unsolved. I ported this kernel o 1.0.7 to have a smoother and faster KDE. I still use FAT partition to make my pupxxx file and I recommend every one using this kernel DONOT try to tinker wth thier ntfs partition.
New Puppy Fan

#12 Post by New Puppy Fan »

Bombayrockers, thanks again for Grafpup how-to. I'll try it as soon as possible. Here is my next question.
I want to try compiling programs from resource codes using usr_devx.sfs. I put usr_devx.sfs in "/" folder, rebooted and it seems that I have what is needed to start with. But one folder (I don't remember which) contains 2.4 kernel.
1. Could I use usr_devx.sfs with my 2.6 kernel?
2. If not, what can I do?
3. Similar question concerning usr_more.sfs.
Thanks!
bombayrockers

#13 Post by bombayrockers »

usr_devx.sfs is a independent development environment - it has no relation to the present kernel you are using. To compile it requires the kernel header files which are located in /usr/src/linux-2.4.29. All compilations you do with it would keep the default puppy kernel as the target. So it is not possible at present to compile FOR the 2.6 kernel using the usr_devx.sfs, but what ever you compile with it should run under the 2.6 kernel. This way it is possible to use a different kernel and yet have a standard dev environment so that your compilation is compatible with all puppies.
bombayrockers

#14 Post by bombayrockers »

DONOT USE THE unionctl command with this kernel. It will now work. If you want to use kde with this kernel you will have to use it as usr_more.sfs
kirk

#15 Post by kirk »

Personaly I preferred the 2.6 kernel. We changed back because of problems writing the pup001 to NTFS. Is this now working?
I'd like to have the 2.6 kernel too. Check out this link for NTFS info:

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/15/29/
New Puppy Fan

#16 Post by New Puppy Fan »

Thanks again. I will try in my spare time. I didn't find it, but I read somewhere in forum - how to start WINE using usr_more.sfs?
shrdlu

Home-build (SOYO)+Puppy Tardis

#17 Post by shrdlu »

I am a happy Puppy user on 2 out of 3 of my computers. :)

Ironically, I can't get it to work reliably on a newer box I built when Tiger-direct basically was giving away SOYO mobos. The symptoms are wierd - with the 2.4 kernel, sometimes Puppy comes up and works great, but most of the time it hangs during usb initialization. With the 2.6 kernel it comes all the way up, but I can't get to the network. :cry: The wizard tells me it sees the on-board eth0 and the via-rhine driver is loaded. Can't even ping the router. This is pretty consistent with other 2.6 distros I've worked with on this box. It looks like both usb and ethernet are trying to grab IRQ 11. Naturally, Windows works perfectly. Since I can still use Puppy, I sorta don't care if it gets fixed or not, but I was curious if anyone else had seen this wierd behavior.

(Posted to hardware.)
Last edited by shrdlu on Thu 19 Jan 2006, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
If only I could be half as good as my dog thinks I am
New Puppy Fan

#18 Post by New Puppy Fan »

bombayrockers wrote:Because grafpup is based on puppy the same thing has to be done with the image.gz from grafpup. This is just an assumption as i have never used grafup. If Nathan F has not changed much in the /etc/rc.d folder it is possible. This should work with grafpup based on 1.0.6
I tried to remake image.gz from Grafpup for 2.6 kernel and bootup using wakeup.zip. No luck so far. It seems that usr_cram.fs contain QM_MODULES which have no links with remaked image.gz file. :oops:
bombayrockers

#19 Post by bombayrockers »

New Puppy Fan,
That might quite as well end your dream of a 2.6 kernel for grafpup. However You can always make a usr_more.sfs of grafpup stuff !!

shrdlu,
Can you please post this in the hardware section or pm this to BarryK, he might be able to help.
New Puppy Fan

Problem with Grafpup on 2.6 kernel

#20 Post by New Puppy Fan »

bombayrockers wrote:New Puppy Fan,
That might quite as well end your dream of a 2.6 kernel for grafpup. However You can always make a usr_more.sfs of grafpup stuff !!
What does it mean? Is there any hope to use grufpup stuff? How?
usr_devx.sfs is a independent development environment - it has no relation to the present kernel you are using. To compile it requires the kernel header files which are located in /usr/src/linux-2.4.29. All compilations you do with it would keep the default puppy kernel as the target. So it is not possible at present to compile FOR the 2.6 kernel using the usr_devx.sfs, but what ever you compile with it should run under the 2.6 kernel. This way it is possible to use a different kernel and yet have a standard dev environment so that your compilation is compatible with all puppies.
Could you explain this too? If I compile in 1.0.7 on 2.6 kernel will it be running on my computer?
Thanks!