No floppy, can't burn a CD. How to install Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
Meziku

No floppy, can't burn a CD. How to install Puppy?

#1 Post by Meziku »

...this is an old topic, looks like...

*wonders if anyone still comes here*

I need help. I have a broken floppy drive, so I can't use floppies to boot from. I can't buy one either, since I'm still a kid in school, but want to install Puppy Linux onto a computer. Is there any way to boot directly from an USB drive? I don't have a CD Burner, so that won't work. I'd like some help, please.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Look here, under Installing on and booting from HD.

EarlSmith

#3 Post by EarlSmith »

Hey Flash, I checked out your "here" reference and all I can say is thanks. Everything I always wanted to know about Puppy in one easy to reference place. Is it time to consider writting a Puppy Book? There is so much information online on Puppy and your "here" reference pretty much brings it all together! :D

syzygy

#4 Post by syzygy »

flash,

ditto to what earlsmith says above. as there seems to be similar questions asked regularly by new pups do you think we need a
PupFAQ?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

The Pup book, Pup manual, Pup FAQS how ever you like to say it is something suggested at the recent Puppy Foundation meeting and started here:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ManualBeginners

If everyone contributes a bit, the book will be available a lot sooner than you imagine . . . :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#6 Post by Guest »

Nobody should be without a FDD! Only the DWintel cartel wants to eliminate them. They cost ~

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Nobody should be without a FDD! Only the DWintel cartel wants to eliminate them. They cost ~

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Earl, thanks for the encouragement. :) The forum software wasn't designed for such a thing as the index. It is time-consuming to maintain, so I tend to let it languish when I get no feedback. :(

Syzygy, if phpBB had something like Google's data-mining software to sift and collate the terms people enter into the forum search, perhaps a FAQ could practically generate itself. 8) Until then, it looks like the index will be the closest thing the forum has to a FAQ.

EarlSmith

#9 Post by EarlSmith »

Earl, thanks for the encouragement.
I can only encourage you more. There is a lot of info about Puppy and many people have and are trying to make it easier to find the tidbit we sometimes need to make sense of a problem. Just as a book needs both a "Contents" and an "Index", you have combined the two in a most pleasant way. Thanks again and please keep up the good work! :D

kethd

#10 Post by kethd »

Meziku,

You have not told us if your questions have been answered...

If you have a regular desktop computer, you definitely need to fix your floppy disk drive. No cost! Just find out where you neighbors discard their computers, and salvage a floppy drive from somthing being thrown out. (If you lived in Boston I could give you one.)

If you need more help, you need to tell us much more about your computer, what you do have, what works, and what you know...

Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

More or less what I said above, ket.
Anyone living in GB could contact me re. FDD.

Moderators haven't removed my inadvertent double entry, yet.