How to set the overtemperature warning alarm?

Booting, installing, newbie
elcolto13

How to set the overtemperature warning alarm?

#1 Post by elcolto13 »

IS there a way I can turn up the threshold for the temperature warning alarm?

elcolto13

#2 Post by elcolto13 »

bump

ljfr

in your BIOS?

#3 Post by ljfr »

You may check whether there is any BIOS options to change those temp parameters.

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

trapster

#5 Post by trapster »

Try Here
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

elcolto13

#6 Post by elcolto13 »

Can someone give a me an easy to understand explanation of how to either turn off the temperature alarm of turn up the threshold? I looked at some of the things you gave me but they seem so complicated.

I'm running Puppy 4.1.2. My computer has a good sized fan where it needs to be. I've blown out the computer many times but the alarm almost never stops. It comes on even when I'm just on the internet, and every time I watch a video.

I'm not that great with computer lingo and have virtually no experience with commands and command lines. I need some n00b help!

Oakems

#7 Post by Oakems »

Okay, first things first, you need to find out what computer you have, make and model.

You can do this with HardInfo, which is in Puppy's menu. From there, you should see a subsection in Devices named DMI that will give you your boards name and vendor.

The settings your looking for are most likely in your computer's bios and you may be able to change them, but I'd recommend noting the temperature of your computer when the alarm is triggered as you may need to find what it is that's making your PC so hot. 65'C to 70'C is getting into the high temps for most PC's and any higher than this at an extended period of time could frazzle your PC. Most warnings are there for a reason and it's best to find out the cause of the warning, rather than trying to suppress it.

For instance, you mention that you've blown out the computer and made sure the fan is okay, but does that include the processor's fan? It could be that your system's temperature is fine, but the processor is overheating for whatever reason (could be that its fan is being restricted, or something to do with the heat sink). In this case raising the threshold for the alarm might not do much as the processor will continue to rise until the alarm is tripped. The only solution would be to find the cause, then to fix it.

Next time you hear the alarm, reboot the PC and go into your CPU's bios. In there, look around for a menu something like; "PC Health Status," it might not be called that exactly, but there will be a menu there that should give you some temperatures to look at so you can find out what it is that keeps overheating, and at what temp (this is also probably where the settings are for the alarm). Don't feel daunted about going into your bios, it is quite safe and you won't have to change anything, in fact when you leave it'll probably ask you if you wish to save any changes, just say no and all will remain the same.

Your CPU shouldn't be overheating when only browsing the web, so I'd guess there may be something you need to sort out. If you comfortable with looking inside your PC, you could give it a little vacuum clean (it's better than blowing as it takes the dust away and doesn't just move it about). Also look for any wires that may be restricting fans or causing problems.

Aitch

#8 Post by Aitch »

elcolto13

The singular most common reason for overheating/warning alarms is dried out or poorly applied silicone thermal paste between the processor & the heatsink - easily remedied, if you are mildly technically competent
don't use pads, they aren't as efficient

A failed or failing processor fan is probably number two, replacwnts are readily available....and poor airflow/blocked vents, number 3, clear airways/vents

but as Oakems said....you need to find out why you are getting the alarm, and not just 'move the boundary!'
- does it happen with a different puppy version/or even that other OS??

sometimes even the alarm sensor itself fails, 'going out of range' causing the alarm to go - but that is beyond 'user fixes' generally

You should also check the power supply fan, as an overheating PSU can overvoltage the processor/mobo/memory/other chips

So, research causes [google], make a plan - simple logical steps, and isolate causes one by one

Good Luck

Aitch :)

elcolto13

#9 Post by elcolto13 »

It's been quite a while now since i have posted on this topic, but now it's more important. I tried, when it was mentioned, to get into my BIOS and find a problem or a temp reading. The problem with that was that I could not get into my BIOS at all. When I used to run Windows Xp it was easy to do so, but now with Puppy, I don't know what the problem is. Every time I would try to get in at startup, it would freeze on one of the startup screens and I would have to kill the power in order to start back up again.

Now, my father has gotten so PO'd over the noise, he has found the siren and more or less ripped it out. Luckily nothing was damaged except the siren. Well, now I have no idea what's going on with my own computer.

Can anyone help me find a program that is somewhat easy to use that will let me know the temp of certain parts of the computer? I have Wine installed if that will help.

Thanks in advance.

Aitch

#10 Post by Aitch »

See Oakems post earlier
Unless you tell us more about what your PC is, and what you are doing when the alarm goes/went off....it is difficult, if not impossible to know from here what your problem is

see

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 068#259068

Edit: corrected typo
Last edited by Aitch on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

elcolto13

#11 Post by elcolto13 »

There is no subsection called 'DMI'

My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2200+.
The vendor for it is AuthenticAMD.

More recently the alarm's been starting up whenever I watch videos, play games or am just on the internet for an extended period of time (2 hours).

Aitch

#12 Post by Aitch »

Yes, but what PC.....?

Make/model numbers?, please, since you haven't said what the mobo is

I shouldn't have to keep trying to pry info out of you - it's you who needs help, not me who needs your info....OK?

elcolto13

#13 Post by elcolto13 »

It's no specific brand. that's why I can't give that to you. I don't know who made the board or anything of that sort. We bought it from a local shop that puts them together from different parts.

Aitch

#14 Post by Aitch »

Well..... Hardinfo, as suggested by Oakems MUST give more detail about your hardware than you have

If you need more help, we need more info - so please look & post

....or, try a different version of Puppy, as at least one version had a fan/overheating problem with some PCs which was cured by changing puppy version, OK?

Best I can offer in the circumstances....

failing that - take it back to the guy who built it, and ask him to check the thermal paste on the processor heatsink...my favourite source of this problem