pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
01micko

#2521 Post by 01micko »

woops... made a boo boo with Weatherx-0.2.... :oops:

Try this one :)

Cheers

pet removed, see newer post
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 06 Sep 2009, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

#2522 Post by Jim1911 »

Using 2.5 on dpup476i. Works great, the best Bling yet.

Thank you team,
Jim

01micko

#2523 Post by 01micko »

Glad you like it Jim1911.

Just be aware that we are experimenting and some new widgets may not be fully stable. Report any problems you may have.

Thanks

Mick

01micko

#2524 Post by 01micko »

Newer Weatherx

Should sort out plugin issue
Attachments
Weatherx-0.4.pet
(60.3 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

SelftaughtGeek

#2525 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

Quick question and forgive me if it is stupid.

Can the newly released Puppy 430 use widgets and a sidebar?
I downloaded it yesterday and there was no sidebar and no PWidgets in the menu options :(

Very disappointed.

Do I need to download a pet to get them back or has 430 abandoned widgets altogether?

STG
Everything I know I found out for myself but only after some kind person pointed out the way.
I'm not really a Geek, just hate things that don't work

01micko

#2526 Post by 01micko »

@SelftaughtGeek

Pwidgets is not quite up to date, the wallpaper setter is not working with the sidebar in 4.3. Sorry about that but rest assured we are on to it.... give us a few days and hopefully we will have a satisfactory answer for you. :)

As a workaround for now, uninstall the wallpaper 5.3 that is recommended for older Puppies and try to run Pwidgets in 4.3.

Cheers

SelftaughtGeek

#2527 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

01micko wrote:@SelftaughtGeek

Pwidgets is not quite up to date, the wallpaper setter is not working with the sidebar in 4.3. Sorry about that but rest assured we are on to it.... give us a few days and hopefully we will have a satisfactory answer for you. :)

As a workaround for now, uninstall the wallpaper 5.3 that is recommended for older Puppies and try to run Pwidgets in 4.3.

Cheers
Thanks for the reply - still new to all this and this is the first new release I have seen. I love puppy and have been playing with 4.2.1 its great. Was just disapointed not to see the sidebar when I got 4.3 booted. That said the other graphics are real quality and there seem to be some new useful apps on 4.3

I use my own jpg image for wallpaper so don' know how to uninstall wallpaper 5.3, not sure how to run Pwidgets in 4.3 as there is no menu entry

I'll just be patient and wait for you all to fix it and then get a new release - please leave SeaMonkey in it the combined browser/email and HTML editor is great - don't want to lose the html editor.

STG
Everything I know I found out for myself but only after some kind person pointed out the way.

zigbert

#2528 Post by zigbert »

Mick
Just a note: I'm still alive.
The past days, I've been lost in Pmusic-code..... Feels good to be innovative again. :)

01micko

#2529 Post by 01micko »

Hello SelftaughtGeek

Pwidgets will work in 4.3, I tested on my eee pc yesterday when I replied, however the sidebar will not work with the new wallpaper setter in 4.3. You may have noticed on the first page of the Pwidgets thread to get the wallpaper setter (it is the 5.3 I refered to), it doesn't work in 4.3 so just ignore that. We need to take a look at the code and modify it for use with 4.3.

Run Pwidgets and disable the side bar. You may find you get a rox pinboard error and your screen defaults to light grey. Just reset your wallpaper and that should fix that. You can then run any other widget combination.

Hello Sigmund.

I've been away myself on holiday and did not notice your absence! :lol:

We went to Rainbow Beach, about 300km north of here. We caught some nice fish, (well mostly my wife did! :? ) They are tailor, a pelagic species that run all the way up and down the east coast of Australia at certain times of the year. They are very good sport on light gear and are not bad to eat. 8)

Here's a pic of our first days catch, we caught them around dusk. The largest is 46cm.

Cheers
Attachments
tailor.jpg
(46.29 KiB) Downloaded 861 times

01micko

#2530 Post by 01micko »

Ok

In particular, thanks for pointing out the bug in the wallpaper setter not allowing a sidebar, SelftaughtGeek. 8)

SelftaughtGeek. I think I missunderstood you. I think, on re-reading your posts, that you mean Pwidgets is not in 4.3. Well if that is the case, you must install the pets.... follow the instructions below...

I think I have it fixed for use in 4.3. Please give it a rigorous test and report if it has any bugs.

I retained BarryK's functionality for cropping the wallpaper automagically if you have a widescreen and the gui is the same. I have it working here and changed sidebars and wallpapers without a fuss.

I hope it works for everybody else!

Cheers

Mick

Instructions: Install this wallpaper-0.5.5 setter first, then install pwidgets-2.0.8 or 2.5.0 dev release then go for it! (please install my SlideShow patch and Weatherx-0.4 if you go for the dev release, available a few posts back)

All care but no responsibility taken :wink:
Attachments
wallpaper-0.5.5.pet
(10.23 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
wallsetter.jpg
(25.57 KiB) Downloaded 918 times
wallset.jpg
(55.96 KiB) Downloaded 860 times

SelftaughtGeek

#2531 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

[quote="01micko"]Ok

In particular, thanks for pointing out the bug in the wallpaper setter not allowing a sidebar, SelftaughtGeek. 8)

SelftaughtGeek. I think I missunderstood you. I think, on re-reading your posts, that you mean Pwidgets is not in 4.3. Well if that is the case, you must install the pets.... follow the instructions below...

I think I have it fixed for use in 4.3. Please give it a rigorous test and report if it has any bugs.

I retained BarryK's functionality for cropping the wallpaper automagically if you have a widescreen and the gui is the same. I have it working here and changed sidebars and wallpapers without a fuss.

I hope it works for everybody else!

Cheers

Mick

Instructions: Install this wallpaper-0.5.5 setter first, then install pwidgets-2.0.8 or 2.5.0 dev release then go for it! (please install my SlideShow patch and Weatherx-0.4 if you go for the dev release, available a few posts back)

Thanks Mick will try it out but might not be able to report back for a day or two.

Just to be clear, first I install wallpaper 0.5.5, then pwidgets 2.5.0 pet then your slideshow and weatherx patches

I love experimenting with puppy and in particular the widgets. Am I right in my understanding that each widget is a conky representation of a text file? If so is each widget a separate conky window or does pwidgets amalgamate them all into the root window? Just trying to understand how it fits together. Is there a tutorial anywhere explaining how pwidgets is built from scratch?

Cheers
STG

01micko

#2532 Post by 01micko »

Hey STG

Yep, looks like you have the install sequence right. :)

You are pretty much right with your ideas there. However we are using a special compile of conky which draws to the rox desktop.

To see how things work take a look in /root/.pwidgets/ (hidden) and /usr/local/pwidgets. It's all fairly simple bash coding. So, if you are familiar with bash you might even try to make your own widgets!

Cheers and have fun.

SelftaughtGeek

#2533 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

01micko wrote:Hey STG

Yep, looks like you have the install sequence right. :)

You are pretty much right with your ideas there. However we are using a special compile of conky which draws to the rox desktop.

To see how things work take a look in /root/.pwidgets/ (hidden) and /usr/local/pwidgets. It's all fairly simple bash coding. So, if you are familiar with bash you might even try to make your own widgets!

Cheers and have fun.
Thanks Mike I am having fun

Where do I find the special conky compile or I do I have it already as part of Puppy? Sorry if the answer is obvious.
Was looking around both those hidden files yesterday hence my observations on the structure of the widgets. "Simple Bash coding"! of course it is if you know what you are doing. Unfortunately I have never used bash before - only came to linux last month! But willing to learn. Thought I would also try Genie - my long term aim is to build fullscale apps for Puppy that could be used in a business environment for my clients. At the moment they are limited to apps derived from MS office via VBA, can get some useful data automation and reporting and customer management solutions that way but a purposely built client management app on linux which could be booted separately would be of real interest.

Still all that is a long way off - I need to learn all the basics first - considering I have never looked into how an OS works before I have a lot to learn

STG

zigbert

#2534 Post by zigbert »

Version 2.1.0
See main post

This one is prepared for Puppy 4.3

Sigmund

zigbert

#2535 Post by zigbert »

SelftaughtGeek
Widgets is great for learning more about bash. First because their code is simple, second because you see a quick result, third because you will be looked after here by the blingy boys, and fourth simply because it's fun.

It is conky that really shows the widgets (except the analog clock). Pwidgets is only a frontend for conky. Just to make it simple for everyone.

- Each widget contains a conky config file. You'll find those in /root/.pwidgets/configs. This is all you need to build a simple widget.
- Depending on the widgets complexity, it might need to receive values from an external bash script. These are placed in /root/.pwidgets/scripts.
- If the widgets gives the user options (ie. if first day in week should be monday or sunday in the calender) we have also made a small gui (gtkdialog/bash). It will pop up when the user adds the widget.

Welcome!

Sigmund

zigbert

#2536 Post by zigbert »

Mick
Nice fish and VERY nice wallpaper setter. I have included it in the main package.

Are you working on the birthday-widget, or is that one mine ???

Sigmund

zigbert

#2537 Post by zigbert »

SelftaughtGeek

To understand the structure of Pwidgets this reference might be useful.

Sigmund

Jim1911

#2538 Post by Jim1911 »

Installed Pwidgets 2.10 on ttuuxxx's pup 432.1. The weather applet works, however, goes off after a few minutes. Is there a way to refresh it automatically?

01micko

#2539 Post by 01micko »

@Jim1911

Will look into that one, it is timing with conky, haven't found the optimum yet.

@Sigmund

I have updated the wiki and the howto pages. Are you aware the wiki page is moved again? With the problems had on Puppylinux.org it is not surprising. This is the new link http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pwidgets ... nice and simple!

Now anything else? Ah yes, birthday widget... I'll take a look. I assume you want something similar to the google widget. :lol:

Cheers

zigbert

#2540 Post by zigbert »

Mick
I will fix the wiki-link. Thanks for mention it.
It is very nice of you to keep it up to date.

Looking forward to the next birthday. - I won't miss it :D

Sigmund