Opera 10 (Qt 4.5.2) & SeaMonkey 2.1 alpha with Flash 10

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
`f00

#101 Post by `f00 »

Will be interesting to see how final (some discussion in the Op forums), but ;) - btw, I got ..
file=opera10-qt452-flash10.gz (yah, rename should be good to go)
md5=C76687DDBF22D0C572A7A7B27F3F2F90
.. hope most of my oldish Pesala buttons work :lol: and likely little chance Op devs will ever go back from the 'stylish' monoblack icons :roll: .. not to mention the 'local' help for Op9x is probably a bit dated by now :|

jakfish

#102 Post by jakfish »

While I find Opera 10 to be as speedy and tricked-out as promised, it does not visibly render pages as well as Seamonkey on the 8.9" screen of the Asus eee 900. You can get the page to fit but the text isn't as large/readable as in SM.

It's that 1024x600 resolution that only SM plays so nicely with.

Jake

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#103 Post by Flash »

The September 3rd .pet installed fine in Puppy 4.3 beta 1. I'm running SeaMonkey 2.1a1 pre now, but for only a few minutes so far. It still seems to freeze briefly when something happens in any tab. Is this necessary? Why should the whole browser freeze while a background tab finishes loading a webpage or doing something?

I haven't had time to try it with a lot of tabs, each running Flash, yet. That's when things used to really slow down.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

panzerpuppy

#104 Post by panzerpuppy »

jakfish wrote:While I find Opera 10 to be as speedy and tricked-out as promised, it does not visibly render pages as well as Seamonkey on the 8.9" screen of the Asus eee 900. You can get the page to fit but the text isn't as large/readable as in SM.
Open the preferences dialog (Tools -> Preferences), enable the 'Fit to width' option and increase the font size in the font settings or set a higher value for page zoom.

panzerpuppy

#105 Post by panzerpuppy »

Flash wrote:The September 3rd .pet installed fine in Puppy 4.3 beta 1. I'm running SeaMonkey 2.1a1 pre now, but for only a few minutes so far. It still seems to freeze briefly when something happens in any tab. Is this necessary? Why should the whole browser freeze while a background tab finishes loading a webpage or doing something?

I haven't had time to try it with a lot of tabs, each running Flash, yet. That's when things used to really slow down.
Use Opera ;)

jakfish

#106 Post by jakfish »

panzerpuppy--

Many thanks for the quick advice. I had been playing with those settings, and while it works, anything beyond 100% zoom makes you have to scroll right to find the missing part of the page.

SM will truly fit to page at zooms greater than 100% I do think it's a 1024x600 resolution thing.

Much obliged for your help,
Jake

paulh177

#107 Post by paulh177 »

synth wrote: just copy the 'profile' folder from /root/.opera to /root/opera
it doesn't quite work as simply as that, as i had to reselect my modified toolbars and custom skin, and some other config settings (such as having tab thumbnail display off, and my preferred homepage) were defaults.
Also of course the Opera bookmarks file has changed name and thus needs a rename to appear (in 7.x,8.x, 9.x it's called opera6.adr, in 10.x it's called bookmarks.adr)
I'm sure there will be other changes that will come to light as time goes by.

(Also it does expand to a 100+MB install which may catch out an unwary frugal user with a smaller pup_save who doesn't, like me, fiddle around with links -- it might be worth adding this info to the original post )

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#108 Post by Flash »

panzerpuppy wrote:... Use Opera ;)
I tried. Yahoo mail refuses to load if it sees Opera.

panzerpuppy

#109 Post by panzerpuppy »

Flash wrote: I tried. Yahoo mail refuses to load if it sees Opera.
Tools -> Quick Preferences -> Edit Site Preferences -> 'Network' tab -> Mask as Internet Explorer (or Firefox)

Done :)

Or even better: Use Yahoo Mail Classic instead of the modern interface.
Yahoo Mail Modern is very problematic on Linux.

robert359

will these solve fullscreen issue?

#110 Post by robert359 »

Hello-I'm fairly new to Puppy, new to Linux. Puppy is my favorite and the best-working "out of the box" of all the distributions I've tried. Question: should this new Opera or Seamonkey solve the problem I have been having with flash, in that clicking fullscreen gives me the same size flash screen but with content larger within it, so you can actually only see a portion of the content. [The browser window remans unchanged, the size of the flash viewer screen remains unchanged, but the content within the small screen gets bigger.] I've been using Seamonkey and Puppy 4, and this remains the only issue that keeps Puppy from being perfect for me. If it matters, we're watching cbs.com/classics. And I have a hard disk install of Puppy. Thanks!

paulh177

#111 Post by paulh177 »

can someone please setup an email account and then try to edit its properties?

i've got two setup and every time i try and edit properties opera 10 crashes with what looks like a segfault

tthis is with 430beta1 by the way on an aspire one netbook, frugal install with iscraigh's mods to rc.local

i'll try it in due course on beta2 but it would help to know if i need to report it to opera or whether it seems specfici to my setup

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#112 Post by Flash »

The SeaMonkey 1.1.17 with Flash 10 that comes as standard equipment in 4.3 alpha 2 ( pup-424.iso ) works perfectly, so far.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

ARu

i cant access stashbox site

#113 Post by ARu »

I'm in the UK and my university's network is very restrictive. I can not access the opera 10 pet file on the stashbox website becasue the network blocks the site due to spyware content on the page. It's very frustrating...is there anyway that someone can send me a link to a "clean" (i mean no offense stashbox :? ) website that i can download this from? I've looked all over the place and it seems like this website is the only site that has a .pet file for Opera 10.

any help or suggestions is appreciated...thanks :wink:

henryfranz2005

Holy.. Wow

#114 Post by henryfranz2005 »

Wow I did'nt know that opera could be this fast. Ahaha though the image quality is reduced more work is done in the internet.

puppyite

Re: i cant access stashbox site

#115 Post by puppyite »

ARu wrote:I'm in the UK and my university's network is very restrictive. I can not access the opera 10 pet file on the stashbox website becasue the network blocks the site due to spyware content on the page. It's very frustrating...is there anyway that someone can send me a link to a "clean" (i mean no offense stashbox :? ) website that i can download this from? I've looked all over the place and it seems like this website is the only site that has a .pet file for Opera 10.

If I were you I’d use a proxy. I just visited stashbox with this proxy:

TYPE: HTML
IP: 81.18.116.70
PORT: 8080

Look in your browsers settings for proxy configuration, input the above numbers and then enable your changes. It may or may not be slow or you may or may not have to reload the page in the browser but it should eventually work.

When you’re done the browser should have a radio button for you to disable the proxy and connect directly to the internet just as you did before you used the proxy. A working proxy may allow you to bypass your university’s restrictions and visit other sites too.

aarf

#116 Post by aarf »

ARu wrote:I'm in the UK and my university's network is very restrictive. I can not access the opera 10 pet file on the stashbox website becasue the network blocks the site due to spyware content on the page. It's very frustrating...is there anyway that someone can send me a link to a "clean" (i mean no offense stashbox :? ) website that i can download this from? I've looked all over the place and it seems like this website is the only site that has a .pet file for Opera 10.

i'm running this one Opera 10 executable + locales + flashblocker + adblocker works fine

download link for opera10final

ARu

Re: i cant access stashbox site

#117 Post by ARu »

puppyite wrote:

If I were you I’d use a proxy. I just visited stashbox with this proxy:

TYPE: HTML
IP: 81.18.116.70
PORT: 8080

Look in your browsers settings for proxy configuration, input the above numbers and then enable your changes. It may or may not be slow or you may or may not have to reload the page in the browser but it should eventually work.

When you’re done the browser should have a radio button for you to disable the proxy and connect directly to the internet just as you did before you used the proxy. A working proxy may allow you to bypass your university’s restrictions and visit other sites too.
Thanks puppyite for the suggestion and i tried several times but i couldnt get it to work...but no dice :-(

thanks anyway though

ARu

#118 Post by ARu »

aarf wrote:

i'm running this one Opera 10 executable + locales + flashblocker + adblocker works fine

download link for opera10final

thank you aarf That link worked perfectly, my school's network didnt block it! much appreciated! :-D

stevesr0

adventures with Seamonkey 1.1.15 (4.2.1), 1.1.18 (4.30) and

#119 Post by stevesr0 »

On my machine, currently with the v. 2 using icewm I can get full screen flash video, but voicemail (which launches gxine) closes the browser.

Currently, with 1.1.15, I can listen to gxine launched by voicemail on Yahoo mail), but attempting to play flash closes the browser.

I tried a Live CD with 4.3 release version. Flash caused the browser to crash.

So I keep both SeaMonkey 1.1.15 AND 2 on my desktop.

The functioning of these browsers seems to change over time for reasons I haven't been able to figure out. A few weeks ago, 1.1.15 could play both flash (in a window in jwm) and gxine.

So, apparently, flash and gxine under SeaMonkey have a number of issues and they behave differently with jwm and icewm. Perplexing.

Steve

stevesr0

tonight 1.15 does everything ok, but 2 crashes with

#120 Post by stevesr0 »

Very peculiar, changes for no obvious reason.

Anybody else find this?

Steve