How to install/boot Ubuntu from Grub from puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
sinc

How to install/boot Ubuntu from Grub from puppy

#1 Post by sinc »

I have tried and tried and now I am turning to help. sorry if i posted this to the wrong category. :oops:

i suppose this is really an ubuntu/grub question but this is where i spend all my time so I figured I would ask it here. :D

I have a system with windows XP on it (sda2) and I have some frugal pup's on sda5. I installed grub from puppy 4.2.1 (i like the graphical menu) to my MBR and my menu.lst is on sda5. the installer automatically recognized my windows partition and I know how to boot my puppies. but i installed ubuntu 9.04 on sda3 and I just absolutely cannot get ubuntu to boot. can anyone tell me how to set up my existing grub from 4.2.1 so that I can boot ubuntu on sda3.

thanks for the assistance.
davesurrey

#2 Post by davesurrey »

Hi sinc,
Just seen this.
I am sure you know you need to modify the file in Puppy called /boot/grub/menu.lst

Try adding

Code: Select all

title		Ubuntu 
uuid		42b9b790-3e00-447c-be92-4b647c123u678
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=UUID=42b9b790-3e00-447c-be92-4b647c123u678 ro quiet splash  (goes on same line as above) 
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic
where of course the UUID is replaced by the UUID of your Ubuntu partition, and you use the appropriate kernel.
The one above is for Ubuntu 9.04 with updates.
Find your UUID by

blkid
Find your kernel with

uname -a
or

uname -r
It is still possible to use /dev/sdaX format instead of UUIDs but if your drives change then UUID follows, but /dev doesn't.

HTH
Dave
Last edited by davesurrey on Wed 14 Oct 2009, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
sinc

#3 Post by sinc »

dave thanks for the help, I am going to try it again now. I have tried that same code over and over and I just can't boot ubuntu. I will try again and let you know what happens. I will post my menu.lst if it doesn't work and see if that will help.

i knew you would know the answer, I thought about PMing you.
sinc

#4 Post by sinc »

dave,

i tried, and tried, and tried again and could not get ubuntu to boot. so I figured i am going to try and go about this a different way. i installed ubuntu with their grub on its own partition and added puppy's lines to that one.

so now the reason i wanted to use puppy's version was simply b/c of the gfxmenu. so now i am using ubuntu's version and booting all my systems with no problem. now how can i add puppy's graphic menu?
davesurrey

#5 Post by davesurrey »

sinc,
I don't use Puppy's Grub for multi-booting. It may just be that Puppy won't boot Ubuntu (more recent versions) or some other distros due to the 256 i-node issue.
There have been changes to e2fsprogs in Linux that have gone from using 128 bit inodes to 256 bit inodes. A lot to do with ext4.

This affects programs such as Gparted and I believe Grub. In which case Ubuntu can see Puppy (because Ubuntu and some others use 256 inodes but have hacked grub to make it work) but not the other way around because Puppy uses 128 bit inodes and a non hacked grub.

I also don't use grub splash screens but I believe you will need to download "gfxboot" from Ubuntu and then set it up.

I hope this will help.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=208855

Sorry I can't help further. You may find better help over at Ubuntu forums of course.

Good luck. :-)

Dave
garcot

#6 Post by garcot »

Hi Sinc,

When we install ubuntu, it doesn't give us an easy option of where we want to install the grub. Also, it ls little confusing to me.

I just used the supergrub cd, removed grub installed in ubuntu. Did a hard disk install of puppy 430 (ext4 part..) and installed the grub with puppy cd.

Then, since puppy 430 recognises ext4 partitions, collected the grub.cfg details of ubuntu karmic, and copied it ( 1st set of entries ) into puppy grub's menu.lst.

There is a small change in latest karmic Grub2. If ubuntu is installed on 2nd partition it is read as (hd0,2) and in old grub it is (hd0,1).

So we need to make this small correction in Puppy grub file menu.lst.

Bingo. Ubuntu Karmic ( grub2) and all other installations boot as expected.

This was the first time, I tried and it worked.

Hope, it helps.

Best
Garcot
alienjeff

#7 Post by alienjeff »

Friends don't let friends install Ubuntu. Period.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]
mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

There is a small change in latest karmic Grub2. If ubuntu is installed on 2nd partition it is read as (hd0,2) and in old grub it is (hd0,1).
Oh this is going to be real fun...lets open a separate forum just for the postings on that one :D
Nothing like consistancy and this is nothing like....

mike
garcot

#9 Post by garcot »

Hi Mike,

When are we moving over to Grub2? :lol:

Have you seen this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45961

Garcot[/url]
garcot

#10 Post by garcot »

Hi Sinc,

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title ubuntu (on /dev/sda2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-11-generic root=UUID=a2204b30-61f5-4290-92e9-ffddcd15715e ro splash quiet
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-11-generic
# Linux bootable partition config ends

Garcot
mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

When are we moving over to Grub2?
don't know and don't care..I use grub4dos. :D

mike