Can Puppy run from (partitioned) USB stick on old computers?

Booting, installing, newbie
satimis

Can Puppy run from (partitioned) USB stick on old computers?

#1 Post by satimis »

Hi folks,

Disregarding being a Linux and unix folk for years this is my first time on Puppy Linux. I have following questions;

1) Can Puppy Linux LiveCD be installed and run on USB Flash drive, If YES, any manual/instruction available

2) If YES to Q1 above
2a) Can USB Flash drive be partitioned, applying Partition-1 for Puppy Linux on USB and Partition-2 for storage

2b) If YES to 2a) above
Can partition-1 be protected to be edited only by Root/Adminstrator.

2c) If for those old PCs without boot on USB can boot floppy be created for booting purpose to run Puppy Linux on USB

TIA

B.R.
satimis

costal martignier

#2 Post by costal martignier »

sorry for not answering all your questions, but IMHO the best puppy for a usbstick is qemu puppy :)
i like it very very mutch.

- you can boot it natevley from usbstick.
- you can boot it in a running windows in qemu (just one klick to a exe)
- you can boot it directly under linux by just running a shell script :)

i looooooooooove it

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/index.html

regards
costal

#3 Post by Guest »

Hi costal martignier,

Your advice noted with tks

BR
satimis

costal martignier

#4 Post by costal martignier »

Anonymous wrote:Your advice noted with tks

tks ????

sorry my english is very poor :)

regards
costal

babbs

#5 Post by babbs »

tks == thanks == thank you

tula

#6 Post by tula »

costal martignier wrote:sorry for not answering all your questions, but IMHO the best puppy for a usbstick is qemu puppy :)
i like it very very mutch.

- you can boot it natevley from usbstick.
- you can boot it in a running windows in qemu (just one klick to a exe)
- you can boot it directly under linux by just running a shell script :)

i looooooooooove it

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/index.html

regards
costal
I'm going try it .. qemu puppy eh ? another varian of puppy ? (sorry silly question .. but I'm a new bie in linux world .. )

first time I allready try the puppy from this url : http://www.goosee.com/puppy/flash-puppy.htm

allready do all the site teach it .. but still can't go inside puppy .... T_T

the last problem using that kind usbfd puppy ... are :
1. my keyboard can't works at all ... even the caps lock and other indicator LED doesn't illuminated .... T_T
2. after the OS (linux puppy) works .. (still in text based works ... not yet entering the graphical world) ... the OS asking for Password ... I can't guess any password and since my keyboard did not work .. I can't type any letter ...

I'm using ordinary PS2 keyboard ....

Now I'm going trying the qemu puppy ...

thankx again ...

Word Warrior

#7 Post by Word Warrior »

Technically, yes to all of the questions except "Can partition-1 be protected to be edited only by Root/Adminstrator?". I don't know about question 2b.

However, many old computers won't have enough RAM. More is required for a USB stick installation than running the live CD. There is an entry in the start menu called "Install Puppy to Flash" or similar. The script that that entry points to will fill you in on the minimum system requirements for booting from a USB drive.

shankargopal

Re: Can Puppy run from (partitioned) USB stick on old comput

#8 Post by shankargopal »

satimis wrote:Hi folks,

Disregarding being a Linux and unix folk for years this is my first time on Puppy Linux. I have following questions;

1) Can Puppy Linux LiveCD be installed and run on USB Flash drive, If YES, any manual/instruction available
Yes, as said above. Just boot from LiveCD, go to the start menu and say "install to flash drive." Or, if you'd rather not do that, go to the Puppy website and click on "USB" for more details.
2) If YES to Q1 above
2a) Can USB Flash drive be partitioned, applying Partition-1 for Puppy Linux on USB and Partition-2 for storage
You should be able to. If you mean storage of files from Puppy, then yes, but you would have to keep both your usr_cram.fs and pup100 files on the second partition. If you mean storage of general files, then yes, of course.
2b) If YES to 2a) above
Can partition-1 be protected to be edited only by Root/Adminstrator.
NOt sure about this - but doubt it. You can however encrypt your pup100 file (the file that stores all data / programs / documents / your files etc. from Puppy). Search the forum for this.
2c) If for those old PCs without boot on USB can boot floppy be created for booting purpose to run Puppy Linux on USB
Yes, you have three options. Use Boot2Pup from the Puppy web site, or search the forum for Wake2Pup and WakeUSB floppy images.