Using applications, configuring, problems
01micko

#81 Post by 01micko »

I'm pretty sure the module is listed as just "ne", and is in Puppy 2.16

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
Cobrag0318

#82 Post by Cobrag0318 »

Yay. Evedently, my not having the PnP mode turned offinitially, caused Linux to reconfigure my NIC during boot. So in a round about way, I wasn't intering the correct I/O adress. Now set to eepro io=0x210 irq=10

NIC=working
SCSI=working with module having to be manually loaded each boot, to be fixed
Sound=To be fixed.

I'll post a screen capture, and performance stats later.
01micko

#83 Post by 01micko »

:P Well I am back posting from the 486. I installed Barry's new 218 puppy built from woof as a full HD installation. It runs aslow but it is usable. I downloaded dillo from technosaurus. It works ok, but if I need to browse fast I drop down to console and and use elinks.

I cheated with the install, I installed it on a K6 machine and transplanted the HD. Still only 32meg ram but I increased the swap to 128meg. I intend to get an old canon printer and test out printing. Haven't configured sound yet but that is the next task.

Cheers
Attachments
pup-penguin.jpg
thanks to Katy for wallpaper
(37.03 KiB) Downloaded 1170 times
01micko

#84 Post by 01micko »

Hooray! :lol:

Sound works! Simply ran alsawizard. Detected my isa SB16. Took awhile, but I got those two barks. No speaker icon in tray though. :(
ttuuxxx

#85 Post by ttuuxxx »

01micko wrote:Hooray! :lol:

Sound works! Simply ran alsawizard. Detected my isa SB16. Took awhile, but I got those two barks. No speaker icon in tray though. :(
open a command prompt and type
absvolume

if it loads up and shows on your taskbar then you'll need to check /root/.xinitrc
and make sure its properly being called, also you could just drag/drop and make a system link in /root/startup folder, then it would load on every boot. safer than messing with /root/.xinitrc
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)
01micko

#86 Post by 01micko »

ttuuxxx wrote: open a command prompt and type
absvolume
Yeah, did that but the problem seems deeper rooted than absvolume

Code: Select all

#absvolume
(process:21978): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

(process:21978): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
              Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Error opening mixer device
#
Strange. (exactly as printed)
ttuuxxx

#87 Post by ttuuxxx »

I get that local comment in 2.14.1x but absvolume works anyways with it. Hmmm you know why, I bet its because your version is using absvolume that has the mixer included and my version is just a standalone mini-volume, here try this pet, I bet It will work :)
It uses tcl/tk, It didn't have a start file, basically would of been started by line, but I made a quick start script called absvolume, and its located in /usr/sbin/absvolume, I think that's where absvolume is usally located, that way this script should replace your broken absvolume and start automatically after boot, as long as you have tcl/tk
if you don't you can get tcl/tk from the repo.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
mini_volume-0.7.pet
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Ericanilaru

EXT2-fs error

#88 Post by Ericanilaru »

Hi, I'm trying to get an old Toshiba 230CX to accept puppy.

I've used a copy of HAL91 on floppy to give it a 128M swap, it has 16M RAM, (it was running Win98 before). There's no CD but it does have USB, so - I've got fat-free-216-dillo on USB & wake2pup on floppy (I've tried a few other versions of pup on the USB as well, just in case)

My Problem:

EXT2-fs error (device ram0): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #282: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset =0, inode=0, rec_len =0, name_len=0 /sbin/init: /sbin/init: 873: cannot create /tmp/bootinit.log: Input/output error
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! :shock:

Thing is; at this point I have no idea even where to start looking! :oops:

I just want it to boot in puppy - then I can start looking at what I can get to run in there. (booting pfix=nox as standard)

Just hoping someone out there can give me some ideas.

Many thanx
big_bass

Re: EXT2-fs error

#89 Post by big_bass »

Ericanilaru wrote:Hi, I'm trying to get an old Toshiba 230CX to accept puppy.

I've used a copy of HAL91 on floppy to give it a 128M swap, it has 16M RAM, (it was running Win98 before). There's no CD but it does have USB, so - I've got fat-free-216-dillo on USB & wake2pup on floppy (I've tried a few other versions of pup on the USB as well, just in case)

My Problem:

EXT2-fs error (device ram0): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #282: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset =0, inode=0, rec_len =0, name_len=0 /sbin/init: /sbin/init: 873: cannot create /tmp/bootinit.log: Input/output error
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init
! :shock:

Thing is; at this point I have no idea even where to start looking! :oops:

I just want it to boot in puppy - then I can start looking at what I can get to run in there. (booting pfix=nox as standard)

Just hoping someone out there can give me some ideas.

Many thanx

try downloading again
then try to boot again 16 MB ?
thats asking a lot and even slower on USB
I havent tried that low of memory

you need to do a full manual install

*maybe I'll take another hack at 2.16 and get it down even smaller
2.16 was one of my favorites*

is there still a need for a super light version?
Joe
Last edited by big_bass on Tue 24 Nov 2009, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
ttuuxxx

#90 Post by ttuuxxx »

big_bass wrote:

Joe
If you do it, I'll have a look at it and when your finished and give it a few updates, if you like, like graphics, Rox etc :)
ttuuxxx
big_bass

#91 Post by big_bass »

ttuuxxx wrote:
big_bass wrote:

Joe
If you do it, I'll have a look at it and when your finished and give it a few updates, if you like, like graphics, Rox etc :)
ttuuxxx

I will use "Jeff" because ttuuxxx doesn't always behave nicely :D

well ,Jeff I had thought about another 2.16 many times
It worked well on older computers which many people have
the challenge is low RAM

updating and making it look good is always a plus
many just want it to work with those low specs

Joe
Ericanilaru

#92 Post by Ericanilaru »

big_bass wrote:[
try downloading again
then try to boot again 16 MB ?
thats asking a lot and even slower on USB
I havent tried that low of memory

you need to do a full manual install

Joe
Thanx Big-Bass,

Must have corrupted my last CD & made the USB install from that - but I've managed to extract from iso, and port onto hda1 of the old box with a USB stick and a trimmed copy of wake2pup (edited out the actual load bit)

It WORKED! tee hee! Boots both with lilo and with pup4DOS! at least as far as command line.

Now I have hda4 set up as fs2, I Just need to install - but don't have a clue without a gui! universal installer?? It's in there somewhere, I hadn't realised how dependant I've become!

It will save to a save file I've checked but I think you're right, full install is probably the way to go.

All I need now is to get a really lightweight GUI - what are my chances of getting the blackbox.pet to extract? Or might you be including something similar if you do an ultralight version?

I for one would say; definitely there's a need for a super light version, to get something worthwhile onto an old box - that old Toshiba is really robust but the low spec means it's been dormant for ages, now there's a chance of it becoming useful again!

Thanx again
big_bass

#93 Post by big_bass »

Ericanilaru
It WORKED! tee hee! Boots both with lilo and with pup4DOS!
its alive! :lol:
All I need now is to get a really lightweight GUI
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=342

I always use lilo to boot puppy or slackware

keep me posted. I would like to hear about your progress

Joe
01micko

#94 Post by 01micko »

I think as low as I got fat_free dillo to boot was 24meg of ram on the 486, that was live off the CD. It took about ten minutes to boot.

Joe, if you do ever decide to refine 216 make sure you let me know. I have the test bed ( :wink: ) and I can soon switch out ram to downgrade it!

Cheers

Mick
big_bass

#95 Post by big_bass »

01micko wrote:I think as low as I got fat_free dillo to boot was 24meg of ram on the 486, that was live off the CD. It took about ten minutes to boot.

Joe, if you do ever decide to refine 216 make sure you let me know. I have the test bed ( :wink: ) and I can soon switch out ram to downgrade it!

Cheers

Mick
Hey Mick
10 minutes live CD :lol:

there are a lot of things I can improve I did that about 3 years ago
but I still have all my original complete unleashed build of it saved on cd just in case

Mick of course I would let you know
and add what you needed so it would be included already in the iso

Joe
Ericanilaru

#96 Post by Ericanilaru »

OK, I've had a poke at the idea of blackbox, (I got the .pet from playdayz Black Greyhound Ultra thread). and installed it on a fresh copy of fat free 216 - dillo.
It doesn't work if you set up with xvesa (I went back and checked, no answer in the thread, just "use xorg"), and I can't set up with xorg on the old Toshiba.

It will get there eventually with:

# xwin startblackbox
but that looks like it's just sitting blackbox on top of the xvesa desktop!
Excruciatingly slow!

it works [under xorg] with:

# xinit /usr/local/bin/blackbox 
on the new machine, I'm not sure how well yet, but it's functional. So if there is a solution to the xvesa problem it might work.

The setup of xvesa is slooooowwww but then it jumps back to blackbox from xinit quite well, just there's no slit and no menu at all!

If you do have another hack at 216 Big-Bass, I think the gui's RAM footprint will be the real killer. The Toshiba is having a lie down!

01micko -
less than 2 mins power stud to #prompt :D , but no gui :(

-but it took me about 4 days to figure out how to get it there. (no cd, and wake2pup not working) Figure I could do it in a couple of hours or less, now I know how.

If anyone has any ideas for getting blackbox or similar up and running under limited resources it would be much appreciated.

Have fun
big_bass

#97 Post by big_bass »

Hey Mick

I was working on fat free 216 today

I will rename that for what I will do wont be the same

there were so many things I can improve on it

the first annoying thing is the browser
I'll have to updated that for sure

the mount box mounter works well on 216

clex doesnt work I will need to recompile many apps for 216

but no big deal

is there still a need for two series 216 updated ?

if so shout

@Jeff I'm doing this as a "fun" project
yeah Jeff many things need updating
when you look back you see many more apps you need

Joe
ttuuxxx

#98 Post by ttuuxxx »

big_bass wrote:Hey Mick

I was working on fat free 216 today

@Jeff I'm doing this as a "fun" project
yeah Jeff many things need updating
when you look back you see many more apps you need

Joe
Hi Joe in 2.14X i updated glibc to series 3 and gtk,glib,pango to the latest, That allowed the latest FF3.5 to work without flash 10 errors. Since your using unleashed maybe you could toss that in. Having a updated 2.16 with a somewhat newer backend would be great for lower resource older pc's. maybe the glibC,gtk,glib,pango from your latest slackware project ? Well its an idea :)
ttuuxxx
big_bass

#99 Post by big_bass »

Jeff
Hi Joe in 2.14X i updated glibc to series 3 and gtk,glib,pango to the latest, That allowed the latest FF3.5 to work without flash 10 errors. Since your using unleashed maybe you could toss that in. Having a updated 2.16 with a somewhat newer backend would be great for lower resource older pc's. maybe the glibC,gtk,glib,pango from your latest slackware project ? Well its an idea Smile

yeah the first run will most likely need to run from my unleashed packages the second run wont need it :D
I have another way of doing that so it can be updated easily

with packages of course so there is control
to keep it stable

thanks for posting

Joe
Ericanilaru

(lack of) progress report

#100 Post by Ericanilaru »

OK - after much fighting it seems to have gotten worse! I'm hanging in xvesa too now!- but then it was seriously hammering the swap before - I may try again with a bigger swap but that starts to impact on my disk space, and I was reading somewhere on here that too big a swap:RAM ratio is a bad thing......

Even with the ROX-filer's PuppyPin gutted and most of the jwm-tray edited out, I still crash on xwin.

I noted that some more modern distros could run xorg in about 12 - 15 Meg of ram, (Turbo etc.) but as far as I can make out they (the newer distros) don't look for swap space during bootup (obviously assuming they won't need it till later) so again I'm stuck. I can't caddy my HDD from the laptop (without going and spending more than it's worth) so that Idea's shot.

@Big-Bass

Could you get something along the lines of turbopup's xorg setup into the ultralite version? I'm not sure what that's likely to involve, so it's just an ideal.

Is there a way to do full install from the command line without completely hacking the universal installer (I had a go, but obviously missed some bits!)