How to set my computer's clock to read GMT?

Booting, installing, newbie
James186282

How to set my computer's clock to read GMT?

#1 Post by James186282 »

HI folks. I love this new system but I need to ask yet ANOTHER rather dumb ass question.

Here is the deal. I've got this nifty application for my Laptop that turns it into a Radio Teletype, Morse Code machine and other Ham Radio type applications. Its even got a built in logbook but... The clock on this computer keeps thinking it needs to be set to GMT+8. I've tried to edit all the references in any startup programs so that it --utc but.... Its back to this +8 junk. How? I'm not sure. What is the correct and proper way to set the clock to GMT time and have it STAY that way..

And. While I'm at it. The machine appears to run quite a number of files when it boots. I've no clue where setting up a wireless network "should" go. Whats the correct and proper place? THANKS to all you that have read my dumb questions and not responded with an "Are you dumb or what?" answer.

- James
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

Guitar John

#2 Post by Guitar John »

You could try setting the clock in the BIOS to GMT. I'm not sure if that is the solution, but that is where I would start.

paulh

Re: ANother Noob Question (Setting the clock to GMT)

#3 Post by paulh »

James186282 wrote:The clock on this computer keeps thinking it needs to be set to GMT+8. I've tried to edit all the references in any startup programs so that it --utc but.... Its back to this +8 junk. How? I'm not sure. What is the correct and proper way to set the clock to GMT time and have it STAY that way..
Have you tried the set date and time utility in the menu? Hit the menu button in the screen's lower left corner and select Desktop/Set date and time. Works for me (Puppy 4.2.1, full install).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

How can we help you unless you tell us which version of Puppy you're using? :(
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

James186282

#5 Post by James186282 »

Good God I'm dumb.... Desktop worked fine. I am really trying way to hard...

Thanks
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]