Dialup modem no longer gets connected (Not Solved:Given Up)

Booting, installing, newbie
andreask

Dialup modem no longer gets connected (Not Solved:Given Up)

#1 Post by andreask »

PupDial: WvDial connection log

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
--> Sending: ATQ0
--> Re-Sending: ATZ
--> Modem not responding.

Greetings All,

The above is the message that I get when I click on
Connect => Internet by dialup analog or wireless modem => Modem setup
on Mum's desktop.

I've tried to find the solution with various search terms in this forum and manged to find that the computer connects through ttyS1, but that's as far as I can go.

I know that the modem itself is fine and that this will be a setting or other software problem, but I can't figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Kindest regards,

Andreas Krokene.

EDIT ON DEC 18, 2009

Thanks paulh for your suggestions, but unfortunately nothing ultimately worked for me. Hence I've bought a hardware modem on eBay. This should fix the problem.

Also, my sincere thanks to everyone who read my post and thought about this problem of mine.

What I should have made clearer in my first post was that I had the modem working for about a year or so, and then I did something -- I don't know what -- and that's when my problem started.

Hence I could not logically see how this problem could possibly exist, but it did and still does. But the hardware modem should fix this problem.

Thanks again.
Last edited by andreask on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
paulh

#2 Post by paulh »

At the moment, I have more questions than answers.

What type of modem do you have? Is it an external, serial modem, or is it a card inside the computer box. External modems seem to work well, but many of the modem cards do not play nicely with Linux.

What message appears when you hit the Probe button? Do you have the right phone number, user name, and password entered?
andreask

#3 Post by andreask »

paulh,

Thanks for your answer.

It's a modem card inside the box that I know works.

From memory the message is to the effect that the modem can't be found. Mum's computer isn't available right now as she lives miles away from me. Therefore I can only check things when I'm there. I have broadband, but Mum doesn't use the computer at this point, so the extra expense of broadband isn't warranted. This problem would not exist with broadband!

That's why I gave the WvDial connection log result in my original post to possibly help with any helpers and their suggestions.

As for phone number, user name and password they are entered correctly.

I will get the exact message from Probe and post back in a day or so.

Any other suggestions?

Andreas Krokene.
Andreas Krokene
I'm more of a cat-man, myself! :D
paulh

#4 Post by paulh »

andreask wrote:It's a modem card inside the box that I know works.
But does it work with the Microsoft Windows operating system or a Linux distribution? Those modem cards have a bad reputation with Linux.

Hit the Menu button in the lower left corner of the Puppy screen and select Help. Go down to the Puppy-specific help and click on HOWTO get onto the Internet (dial-up your ISP). That contains all I know about soft modems.
paulh

#5 Post by paulh »

I did some searching on the forum.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24740

This has a partial list of modem cards that Puppy works with. When you get back to the computer, find the card's manufacturer and model number and see what others have been able to do with it. Good luck.