Inspired newbie looking for clear, concise howto for EEE PC.

Booting, installing, newbie
globetrotterdk

Inspired newbie looking for clear, concise howto for EEE PC.

#1 Post by globetrotterdk »

I liked what I saw running the newest Puppy version in VirtualBox and had the opportunity to buy an EEE PC 701 on the cheap. Now the question is how to install.Puppy and whether to use Puppy, MacPuppy or Puppeee.

1) I would like to get as close as possible to a full desktop experience without the bloat (AbiWord vs. OpenOffice.org), (Firefox and Thunderbird vs. Midori and ?).

2) Need support for 701 hardware.

3) I tried Crunchbang, but too big, so I need to sort out the partitioning issues I have seen posted. I have 2GB available, so how do I partition for Puppy et.al.? I understand that there is some issue with Ubuntu installer partitioning sizes? Swap? Home? Root?

4) I need spell checking support for English, Danish and Indonesian

5) Java, Flash support?

6) I use TurboPrint to connect to a Canon PIXMA iP 5200R printer. How do I install their software on a Puppy system for a EEE PC 701?

Cheers
jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

We have a pretty helpful and knowledgeable little community for Puppeee 4.31 beta. Install instructions for usb card are here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48288

I recommend just installing to a flash card for starters. No partitioning required. Swap is not needed or recommended for an SSD.

Flash works, java can be installed. I don't know about spell check; I assume there are language packs for abiword.

I have no experience with TurboPrint, but we can try to help you make it work.
globetrotterdk

#3 Post by globetrotterdk »

Cheers Jemimah. The instructions for booting from a USB pen drive worked fine. However, there seem to be some problems with both the old and the new network wizards. I am unable to fill any of the fields in the new wizard, while the old wizard seems to forget the connection or something. Auto configuration of DHCP reports everything fine.

I have not installed to the EEE PC 701x SSD drive yet as I want to get the wlan sorted out first.

Do I understand correctly that when I do install, I should just create a single ext3 or ext4 partition on the 2GB SSD? There was something posted in the forum about reformatting drives after having used an Ubuntu derivative, but I can't find it now. Something about GRUB...
jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

Yup we ditched the Network Wizard. There is a tray icon for Pwireless2, you should us that. I'm releasing a new version later today where the gui is more intuitive, hopefully. For now, got to the networks tab, click on your network, click on Add Profile, and you should be off and running.
jemimah

#5 Post by jemimah »

If you have grub already, you can use the existing installation. A frugal install of Puppy doesn't care what file system you put it on. You just copy the sfs files and the kernel to your hard drive and point grub to it.