Asus P5PE-VM motherboard: no PS2 keyboard or mouse

Using applications, configuring, problems
yim

Asus P5PE-VM motherboard: no PS2 keyboard or mouse

#1 Post by yim »

I have an Asus P5PE-VM board with Celeron D 3.06 512memory, problem I have is that during boot the only way I can get to bios setup is with usb keyboard, and if usb keyboard isn't plugged in I get "No keyboard detected"

funny thing is when I boot from puppy cd, the initial boot screen I can use ps2 keyboard to type commands such as pfix=ram or noapic or such but after boot up ps2 keyboard is non functional. I've pulled bios battery out for 30 min. and retried per google search but nothing has worked so far. Any hardware guys or gals here that can enlighten me on this problem. most of the search results I've found point to a bad motherboard but why does this work after getting into the bios and with the initial boot prompt of puppy.

thanks for any help

yim
Last edited by yim on Sat 10 Apr 2010, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

fernan

#2 Post by fernan »

In this cases I used to reset bios using some Jumper inside.. (there is always one jumper marked as "clear CMOS").

I have a Compaq Neo Server 150, that once booted without keyboard, never recognized any keyboard again, until you reset the bios, and reboot it with the keyboard plugged in...

It's Just an idea...

Perhaps PS2 keyboard is disabled in bios.

downsouth

PS/2

#3 Post by downsouth »

I've had a few PCs do this, so I went back to Puppy 4.00, which didn't have the problem. The detection script in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit has changed, and doesn't appear to work in all cases. Try editing that file, and removing the keyboard detection lines, then inserting BEFORE the mouse detection, the following (then save & reboot):

#detect type of keyboard...
echo -n "Detecting keyboard: " >/dev/console
KEYBOARDTYPE=""
NEWKEYBOARDTYPE="ps/2"
[ -f /etc/keyboardtype ] && KEYBOARDTYPE="`cat /etc/keyboardtype`"
#v2.13 PA (pakt) improved usb keyboard detection...
#[ ! "`cat /proc/bus/usb/devices 2>/dev/null | grep -i "keyboard"`" = "" ] && NEWKEYBOARDTYPE="usb"
[ ! "`cat /proc/bus/usb/devices 2>/dev/null | grep "Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=01"`" = "" ] && NEWKEYBOARDTYPE="usb"
if [ ! "$KEYBOARDTYPE" = "" ];then
if [ ! "$NEWKEYBOARDTYPE" = "$KEYBOARDTYPE" ];then
echo -en "\\033[1;31m" #red
echo -n "WARNING: now using $NEWKEYBOARDTYPE keyboard, previous type was $KEYBOARDTYPE"
echo -e "\\033[0;39m"
fi
fi
KEYBOARDTYPE="$NEWKEYBOARDTYPE"
echo -n "$KEYBOARDTYPE" > /etc/keyboardtype
echo -n "$KEYBOARDTYPE" >/dev/console

/etc/rc.d/rc.country ;STATUS=$((STATUS+$?)) #this asks for keyboard layout.

status_func $STATUS

yim

#4 Post by yim »

just an update on problem in first post, was @ local PC shop and ran across a neat piece of hardware,

a ps2 mouse/keyboard to usb adaptor, specifically states on box that it's made for KVM switches, ha ha ha

$10 US , not a bad buy, this PC is useful again, which I could use before but only with usb peripherals

after using a KVM switch I can't imagine not having one

yim

#5 Post by yim »

could a mod please mark this thread solved

thanks