How do I upgrade to a newer version of Puppy Linux?

Booting, installing, newbie
jhsu

How do I upgrade to a newer version of Puppy Linux?

#1 Post by jhsu »

I have an older version of Puppy Linux installed (4.2.1, frugal). How do I upgrade to 4.3.1? I already have the 4.3.1 CD burned.

PaulBx1

#2 Post by PaulBx1 »

It's been a while since I fooled with frugal but I think you just copy the new files from the CD over the old ones and reboot. Boot off the CD, "pfix=ram" first, to do the copy. Puppy will process your pupsave.

Might need to rename the pupsave. There was a change from "pup_save" to "pupsave" at some point, I think at this point.

I'd keep copies of all the old files including pupsave stashed away somewhere, just in case something doesn't work. Some of these upgrades are a bit problematic. I went from 4.1.2 to 4.3.1 and I had to spend some time fixing icons on the desktop. Sometimes it's better to just stick with what you are running unless you need the new revision for some specific reason. Upgrading just because it is newer might not be advisable.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3 Post by Béèm »

PaulBx1's advice is correct.
In 4.2.0 the save file was still pup_save and now in 4.3.1 pupsave.
So if you boot from the CD with pfix=ram copy the pup_savexxxxx to pupsavexxxxx and use the latter.
In case something goes wrong, you can still revert to 4.2.1 and use the corresponding pup_savexxxxx
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

steve_s

#4 Post by steve_s »

Make sure to rename the save file to the new format, but other than that, the whole upgrade takes like 10 minutes...crazy easy.

**Edit: looks like Paul covered the change on the pupsave name...sorry for the redundancy. 8)

spongedaddy

#5 Post by spongedaddy »

How would this work with a full install?

I'm in the same boat here -- have 4.2.1 but want to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Would I have to re-install the devx sfs or is that done automagically? My hunch is that I'll have to re-install (no biggie).

Thanks!

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

I'm in the same boat here -- have 4.2.1 but want to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Would I have to re-install the devx sfs or is that done automagically? My hunch is that I'll have to re-install (no biggie).
good guess...4.31 is not built on 4.21 so the best move...same for the frugal..just save stuff you want like bookmarks.

mike

davids45

Make your 'details' into a Pet?

#7 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Just a post-excessive-indulgence thought.

On the "just save stuff you want like bookmarks" suggestion, would there be value in creating a Pet of your personally wanted stuff?

Before upgrading, put the files (with their paths) of your bookmarks, profiles, must-have programs, etc. into a directory. Use the dir2pet function to then make this directory into something like "my.pet". And save that onto a usb drive or something similar.

Each new full PUP could then 'personalised' by simply running "my.pet".

New frugals too could done this way if desired - an sfs or two of your personal data could be the alternative.

One issue could be that paths could change between Pups for things like the Seamonkey/Firefox random-character-titled directory in .mozilla? Some lib files might also be missed between Pups.

David S.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Well david45 an idea but perhaps it would be an alternative way to end up where the upgrade would take one...it tries to do the same thing directly but is not foolproof . Perhaps keep a copy of the old pup save and copy out from there carefully and gradually checking along the way ...a snapshot of a full install could be used in a similar fashion...either way there would be a fallback copy of the previous install.
Indeed try the upgrade script as well but with a backup to hand.

mike