Minimum resolution for Puppy 2

Using applications, configuring, problems
Sage

Minimum resolution for Puppy 2

#1 Post by Sage »

Barry is calling for comments concerning resolution in relation to fitting Seamonkey into a single screen view with his new v 2.0 incarnation in his news report today.
Sadly, he would immediately lose one fan if 800x600 were not fully functional. Never mind the hardware, my eyesight doesn't support an higher resolution for more than the briefest time it takes to reduce it to that level if the default is higher!
Notwithstanding, ALL my extensive testing and HW experimentation tends to be conducted with older 14" & 15" crt monitors of dubious vintage. 1024x768 wasn't invented when they were built.
Moreover, the value of Puppy in resurrecting older HW is emerging as a vital asset.
Then there's the Third World, many of whom rely on the benefaction of monitor leftovers.
In short, if it doesn't do 640x480, it won't figure. 800x600 would be the bonus. Sorry.
So that would seem to make it Sylpheed + Firefox, then?!
Any more shocks you'd like to tell us about, Barry?
costal martignier

#2 Post by costal martignier »

i work often in 640x480 and 800x600 with puppy,
with the qemu (qemupuppy) emulator on my usbstick...

for me these resultions are importand,...

regards
costal
BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Don't be shocked sage, I was calling for comment because I also prefer 800x600.
Maybe the Seamonkey Mail&News can be made to fit 800x600 -- it's just that when I tried to resize the window, it wouldn't go any smaller.

I raised the issue mainly because I thought someone might figure out how to get the window smaller.

If it can't be done, I think that I will recompile Seamonkey without the Mail&News module and use Sylpheed instead. Personally, I like Sylpheed.
Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

You had me really worried for a moment, Barry, but I am glad that we are still very much in tune!
Thanks for the reassurances.