VLC 8.6h mediaplayer Lite 7.8MB pet

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
ttuuxxx

Re: Cannot download

#221 Post by ttuuxxx »

kanewilliam wrote:If i try to install the attached packages its asking me for username and pwd but if i give my username and pwd its not accepting please help me
username:puppy
password:linux

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)
mikeb

#222 Post by mikeb »

Ttuuxx...not sure if anyone has mentioned to you but there seems to be a problem with ogg theora videos.....
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50336
mike
lapis

#223 Post by lapis »

Hi, How does VLC know which codecs it can play? I have a version 8.6.i installed which I use as a backup but it doesn't seem to play a lot of common file types. It keeps saying no suitable decoder module.

Are the codecs built in with VLC or does it use an outside library? I think mplayer has some built in and it can also have additional codecs like gxine can from /usr/lib/codecs (or /usr/lib/win32). How does libavcodec.so fit in, is that only used by gxine?

Thanks
pemasu

#224 Post by pemasu »

I have had problems with subtitles sometimes. I havent found from options how to define fonts path for subtitles. I think that is the reason, why subtitles does not work with every puplet. Possibly manual editing would work if I would know the right file.

Vlc 1.0 rc4 has options row for specific font path. It works. Subtitle selection works better, activation does not need the movie to start from the beginning.

Otherwise vlc 0.86 is still my choice number one for watching movies.

Merry Christmas
mikeb

#225 Post by mikeb »

It normally comes with its own font files in /usr/share/vlc/skins2/fonts..check there....I have no boxes ticked in preferences...the subtitles files has to have exactly the same name as the movie.....otherwise built in for dvd.

vlc does not use pirate win32 codecs....avcodec may be built in or external and a few other codecs are external plus dvd libs.
If you are lacking format handling it may be due to a bad compilation.....it is a beastie to make. I also found more web tv formats handled with a newer glibc but that should not affect puppy 4.(relates to ffmpeg/avcodec.) ttuuxxxs 0.8.6h seems to have a problem with theora detection. My 0.8.6c from slackware had dvd problems...I grabbed a plugin from another version. All things being perfect there's very little I won't handle.

mike
pemasu

#226 Post by pemasu »

Thank you, I will check that path.

In fact with vlc subtitles does not have to be exactly the same file name. I have used subtitles all the time without renaming them. This feature has been main choice why I prefer vlc.
But maybe this is also the reason, why subtitles does not work with every puplet I have tested. I have to test renaming if it will be the solution along the fonts path checking.

I wish now Merry Christamas
mikeb

#227 Post by mikeb »

Perhaps naming is dependant on the video file format too.

You have a good christmas too :)

mike
Frank Cox

Gzine vs VLC

#228 Post by Frank Cox »

I did like gzine until it just stopped working.

What is th best way to remove gzine completely?

I use VLC every where else-great program-Thanks!!.
steve_s

Re: Gzine vs VLC

#229 Post by steve_s »

Frank Cox wrote:I did like gzine until it just stopped working.

What is th best way to remove gzine completely?

I use VLC every where else-great program-Thanks!!.
It's moderately complicated: gxine is the native video player that comes with Puppy. I recomend just leaving it; it doesn't take up much space and every once in a while it's good to have an alternative media player...

You can remove it by running Pet-B-gone then remastering Puppy to make a custom Puppy.
mikeb

#230 Post by mikeb »

its scattered....some in /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/X11/somewhere , usr/lib/win32 (or similar) and /usr/share/somewhere....and change /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer

It's quite large once you gather all the pieces...mplayer shares the dodgy win32 codecs but otherwise I don't know of anything dependant on it.
If your vlc has avcodec compiled in you could dump that too but other apps use it in standard puppy.

mike
steve_s

#231 Post by steve_s »

mikeb wrote:It's quite large once you gather all the pieces...

mike
:D I stand corrected, but I still hold that it may be more trouble than it's worth to try and get rid of it and everyonce in a while gxine plays something that gmplayer and vlc don't do as good a job with... 8)
mikeb

#232 Post by mikeb »

Actually I do like xine....though it should be the same as Gxine it just seems to work so much better and embeds in web pages nicely..on another distro I use it in preference to vlc and it does have that realplayer support.

mike
Frank Cox

VLC

#233 Post by Frank Cox »

Like I said , I liked Gxine until it stopped working.

I need to learn how to remove apps anyway. Had no trouble removing Sea Monkey to install FireDog. I just need to know what not to nuke.
Thanks
mikeb

#234 Post by mikeb »

Just search for 'xine'...should lead you there..and the /lib/win32 folder.

mike
Frank Cox

Remove gzine

#235 Post by Frank Cox »

Thanks! I will download VLC.
Frank Cox

Pet Be Gone -Best place to download VLC -Not working

#236 Post by Frank Cox »

I tried installing petbegone and when I tried to open it I got this error- need 0kpgs_db-4.3.1.pet

Where can I find that?

Also I installed the VLC player from the first page and also the default pet , it seems to have loaded but I can't get it to run.

I am running 431 fruggal off a ntfs partition [as a file in windows xp} on a amd socket 754 board with 500 mb of ram.

Is the link on the first page the best? Some one said in an earlier post they had the same problem and reloading from another source helped.

Thanks
mikeb

#237 Post by mikeb »

Hmm...someone else is having that problem...I suspect a change in gtk2 version as wxwidgets is very particular...a recompile methinks.
Not sure about the other source...may have been a different version.
There may be a slackware compile that might work from slacky.eu but no guarantees.
What do you get if you run from a terminal.
Pet be gone...may not be suitable for 4.31 as package management has changed a little I believe.
You are suffering from progress :D

mike
Frank Cox

Success!

#238 Post by Frank Cox »

Thank ttuuxxx ! Great job!

Must have been a downloading error. Everything works-sound is good, played a DVD I ripped with PBurn perfectly full screen.

Have not figured out symlink. I added the executable to the list and it will work "Run With" but clicking on an mp3 results in a permission error and asks if I want to change all the run permissions. Not sure what to do so I let it be.
nubc

#239 Post by nubc »

I installed your VLC 0.8.6 on Puppy 4.3.1. VLC broke gxine, and on top of that, VLC doesnt work. Has anyone installed VLC on Puppy 4.3.1 successfully?
abushcrafter

#240 Post by abushcrafter »

Yes. Its ability to play theora video is not good though.