Dpup 484beta Testing

2byte

#181 Post by 2byte »

The upgraded bash version in 484 may be a source of hard to find errors in the main Puppy scripts. Some personal gtkdialog/bash scripts that work flawlessly on 4.12 and dpup482 will not run on 484. All kinds of errors, broken pipes etc. occur and the terminal cannot be killed with Ctrl C.

Abiword spell checking does not work and it red underlines every word typed. Using US english.

Rox, right click a folder or file and choose Properties, The dialog always appears with the buttons below the taskbar. 1024x768 resolution.

Trash icon still too low on the desktop at initial run time.

Running 484 beta2 with both patches in a frugal, booted from CD.

Edit: the bash problem could be gtkdialog related. ?

Last edited by 2byte on Thu 07 Jan 2010, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

gposil

First Puppy with XFS support

#182 Post by gposil »

In consultation with coolpup, I have included full support for the XFS filesystem in yet to be beta3, this will make available to Puppy users the most secure, fast and reliable server file system yet available to *nix based OS's..(it's the one advanced Solaris servers use).

I'm a sucker, people keep asking me to include things, and I can't help myself...there will come a reckoning I think....... :lol:

[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]
gposil

#183 Post by gposil »

2byte wrote:The upgraded bash version in 484 may be a source of hard to find errors in the main Puppy scripts. Some personal gtkdialog/bash scripts that work flawlessly on 4.12 and dpup482 will not run on 484. All kinds of errors, broken pipes etc. occur and the terminal cannot be killed with Ctrl C.

Abiword spell checking does not work and it red underlines every word typed. Using US english.

Rox, right click a folder or file and choose Properties, The dialog always appears with the buttons below the taskbar. 1024x768 resolution.

Trash icon still too low on the desktop at initial run time.

Running 484 beta2 with both patches in a frugal, booted from CD.

Edit: the bash problem could be gtkdialog related. ?

1.) Below is a patch for the bash upgrade
2.) I haven't been able to repoduce the Rox right click props problem
3.) Trash icon fixed in beta3
4.) Abiword Spell Checker plugin in Dpup repo at ibiblio
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]
dejan555

#184 Post by dejan555 »

Fix ROX associations: Clicking .torrent doesn't start transmission, instead it says "You need to install ctorrent" (gtkdialog - pctorrent is still in)
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]
gerry

#185 Post by gerry »

gposil asked: .BTW what printer was it, might help others if they know the procedure you went through.

Canon i965. Now some smartipants will say that Gutenprint will drive it- well, yes if you like dark grey printing instead of black.

My procedure has a lot of history in it, and would be illogical for someone else. I'll experiment with doing it from first principles, and write it up. If you Google "Takushi" "Kyoto" "university" you should find Mr Takushi's website, which has drivers for a number of Canon and ?Epson? printers, all in the form of debs. Note: different ones for Debian and Ubuntu, so upup users should be able to use them too.

Originally, Muggins made me pet for 2-series Puppy, then later I downloaded-but-not-installed with Debian Etch, booted Puppy, raided the Debian partition to move the debs into Puppy, unpacked them, turned them into pets, and kept them handy for instant install.....should now be able to do it directly.

Step one- must look up how to add a repository to dpup......

gerry
2byte

#186 Post by 2byte »

Bash upgraded (my you are fast!), now reports syntax errors on the same script. No big deal. The scripts use a trick potong posted on the gtkdialog tips thread (allows code comments) and it just might not be compatible with the newer bash.

Another glitch, and sorry if it’s already reported. I mounted an ext2 partition by clicking the desktop icon. In that partition I clicked a pupsave.sfs file from a v4.12 Puppy and it mounted. I copied a file and then clicked the sfs file again to unmount it and a message displayed that it was unmounting the sfs. All looked good. Then I clicked the partition icon on the desktop to umount the partition and got this error from the Puppy drive manager

FAILURE! In the case of removable media, the most
common reason is the media is not currently inserted.
If so, please remedy.

Rox could not unmount it either. If I recall correctly the script that performs the mount and unmount of the sfs file in this fashion is not part of the Puppy drive manager.

Re abiword, the red underlines can be removed by unchecking ‘Check spelling as you type’ in preferences. Maybe should be default if no spell checker is included?

By the way, I have noticed many improvements over 482 :)

JorgenS

#187 Post by JorgenS »

I get the same failure as "2byte". I have tried mounting and unmounting both sfs- and iso-files on a partition(ntfs and ext4) and then I can't unmount that partition.

Regarding bug in remastering:
I have now remastered a clean Dpup484, just after I booted up, and this remastered version will not mount my usbflash(fat))-drive.
If I mount this new iso, how do I compare the directory and sub-dir, from the orig dpup and this new iso, for differencies?

edit:
I have tried dircmp from a terminal. But dircmp doesn't exist.

JorgenS
chiefwhosm

#188 Post by chiefwhosm »

I'm really liking dpup 484, but I just cant get the devx.sfs file to load. I've installed puppy to a usb key using the bootflash installer while using a livecd.

After creating a save point, and putting the devx in the /home folder alongside the save.

Load up the boot startup manager, tell it to mount the sfs on startup.

Reboot, saves the new changes.

And coming back to the desktop either the devx file isnt in the right hand pane of the boot startup manager, or it says its mounted, but (for example) make returns an unknown command.

I was seeing if I could get it to compile my network drivers source code.

Any ideas?

Chief :)
8-bit

#189 Post by 8-bit »

Your devx file should be in /mnt/home to be loaded.
Since you probably have a frugal install with Puppy in a subdirectory, having the devx file in that subdirectory will not work.
I usually take it a step further and just install SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet and use that to install the devx sfs file and the kernel source sfs file.
Then I can also use the Puppy Package Manager to uninstall them if I need to.
I am running Puppy 431 SCSI and have had no problems with doing it that way.
chiefwhosm

#190 Post by chiefwhosm »

It wasn't in a sub-dir.

I got it eventually, and thanks for mentioning the kernel source as I'd forgotten to get it :lol:
gposil

#191 Post by gposil »

JorgenS wrote: edit:
I have tried dircmp from a terminal. But dircmp doesn't exist.

JorgenS
Use:

Code: Select all

diff –brief –r dir1 dir2
gposil

#192 Post by gposil »

New patch for mount/unmount sfs or iso
Attachments
484beta2-patch4.pet
Patch 4
(2.38 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
JorgenS

#193 Post by JorgenS »

Remastering:
I have tried comparing the orig dpup484beta2 sfs-file and the remastered sfs.file, using Pbackup and a simulated sync. I don't know if any diff will show in the log.

Remastering was done, just after boot.
It doesn't make me any cleverer, but maybe someone else.

JorgenS
Attachments
sync3.png
(21.16 KiB) Downloaded 937 times
sync2.png
(12.23 KiB) Downloaded 916 times
sync1.png
(36.67 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
JorgenS

#194 Post by JorgenS »

gposil:
Ok, I will try that!

JorgenS

edit:
I have attached output from the "diff --brief - r" of the orig and remastered dpup-sfs-file.
Attachments
diff.zip
(5.74 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
gerry

#195 Post by gerry »

1- How do I add another repository?

2- Just booted AA1, clicked on Firefox. It did not start: I got a message that said Firefox is already running, must stop it or reboot. TOP showed no sign of it, so I rebboted. Got the same again. OK, so I'll try the Safe Browser. Wouldn't start, gave a message saying that firefox could not install some vital component. Clicked ok, then Firefox started!!!??

gerry
JorgenS

Dpup finds wrong sfs-file first, and then no more sfs !

#196 Post by JorgenS »

Hi!

I have put a version of Dpup on one usbflash and puppy 412 on another.
When putting 412 direct in the usb port in the the pc and the dpup in a hub, Dpup can't find dpup-484.sfs and ends in a console.
If I switch the usbflash drives there are no problems.

I believe if dpup finds one sfs file, and this sfs got the wrong -xxx, then it never looks any further, because there was another post in here about puppy 4.31, if I remember correct, not finding it's sfs, when booting from a cd. Maybe that was the same problem, and a sfs file on the hd was found first, but from another version of puppy.

JorgenS
2byte

#197 Post by 2byte »

Choosing to load the devx.sfs (no others were selected) caused both the default desktop icons and wbar to load at next boot.

I re-ran the first start wizard and it changed my background picture to default.jpg after I reselected wbar.
Closing the wizard with the x button causes it to load at the next boot.

Is there an option somewhere to not eject the CD on shutdown or reboot? If not I will remove it from rc.shutdown, but I feel it should be a user option, perhaps in the First start wizard or Control panel.

2fs and iso unmounts are working now with the latest patch :)

dejan555

#198 Post by dejan555 »

2byte wrote:Choosing to load the devx.sfs (no others were selected) caused both the default desktop icons and wbar to load at next boot.
Happens here also, whenever I load some sfs
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]
sinc

#199 Post by sinc »

ok well maybe someone can verify this for me that i didn't screw something up on my system but when i go to menu>multimedia>streamit with nothing else open it kicks me out to a command prompt.
James C

#200 Post by James C »

Does the same thing here as well....... :lol: