Headaches with NVIDIA and 4.3.1 solved :P

Booting, installing, newbie
chrissy

Headaches with NVIDIA and 4.3.1 solved :P

#1 Post by chrissy »

Hello, I have been trying to get my usb hd install of 4.3.1 to accept the Nvidia drivers from NVIDIAs site as the only link I can find here to a .pet file seems to be unable to allow any downloads.
I downloaded the package from nvidia for my chip gforce 6100 and followed the instructions but couldnt use usr devx fs as I cant find one for 4.3.1, I kept seeing information about devx fs for 4.31 and put it on but the boot thingummy crashes everytime I add it to the start up using the wizard and I have to boot from cd to put the original boot config back .
The nvidia program tried to load itself when I typed the instruction at the prompt but stops because it cant find glibc or ldconfig in the path (not sure if that was the exact name),this seems to further confuse the next attempt to boot.
The display is not bad without it but having had it on 4.2.1 I really would like the better resolution if possible.
Last edited by chrissy on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

tazoc

NVIDIA Drivers for kernel 2.6.30.5 (puppy 4.3.x)

#2 Post by tazoc »

NVIDIA Drivers for kernel 2.6.30.5 (puppy 4.3.x)

direct d/l
not sure which driver you need, if one doesn't work, try the other:
NVIDIA-190.53-k2.6.30.5.pet
or
NVIDIA-185.18.36-k2.6.30.5-1.pet
(it might ask for u: puppy p: linux twice)
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

chrissy

#3 Post by chrissy »

Thanks for the reply Tazoc but they both give me 'current download limit exceeded' which is the reason I was trying to use the ones from Nvidias own site.
I was reading a bit about the devx.fs thing on here and it seems in 4.3.1 it is not working from the boot manager(nor is anything else I think as I have had several failed attempts to auto load open office with it too).

chrissy

#4 Post by chrissy »

still no luck with the nvidia drivers so have given up with them after several reinstalls of puppy to clean things up after failed attempts.
I did get open office to load ,i cheated and opened it up and then dragged all the files to the appropriate drawers, more space taken up but that isnt a huge problem as it is a hard drive install.It was running fine from just mounting the SFS but nothing was getting it to load up at startup and this does solve that.

chrissy

solved :P

#5 Post by chrissy »

YAY finally managed to download the pets at the address that was posted!
Thankyou.
I couldn't when I went on the last time I posted but I thought oh just give it one last try, and the downloads are enabled again.
I used the 190.53 version as the chip is a 6100 and it worked without a glitch. Phew ,time to go make a cuppa now :)

The laptop is an acer aspire 9300 if anyone is interested and it works with the wifi on this version of puppy 4.3.1 but only ethernet on 4.2.1 .
The built in webcam works on skype aswell .
Sound works as is but the mic doesnt seem to ,only soundout.

I did muddle around for a bit this afternoon trying to get devx.fs working and it would momentarily accept gcc in the terminal but each time I went to the prompt outside of x it denied all knowledge of the commands LOL