How to copy and paste to rxvt console ?

Booting, installing, newbie
dalderton

How to copy and paste to rxvt console ?

#1 Post by dalderton »

This may seem to be a simple question but is it possible to copy and paste to the rxvt console and if so how. I know that on one of the consoles on Lighthouse pup it works the same as to cut and paste anywhere else so why is rxvt different. It makes it more difficult to use wget etc if one has to type all info in.
Regards Dennis.
disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

You can paste the current selection to any program (whatever program it is selected in) by clicking with the middle mouse button. Otherwise you would have to install an alternative to rxvt, that supports the Copy/Cut clipboard.

I also recommend using glipper (under "Desktop" in the menu, or you might need to install it first), which keeps a record of your clipboard history so you can use it again, even after copying something else.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
dalderton

#3 Post by dalderton »

All sorted out. LXTerminal is the answer. I wonder why a terminal like this with the provision of copy/paste is not the standard in Puppy.I dont think that it uses much space so it should be OK. To get it use Puppy Google search and look for LXTerminal in these forums.
Regards Dennis.
aragon

#4 Post by aragon »

dalderton wrote:I dont think that it uses much space so it should be OK.
sorry, not true.

lxterminal itself is small but additionally needs the vte-library which is alone between 500 and 600 kb (pet-size). in "puppy-dimensions" this is much.

aragon
dalderton

#5 Post by dalderton »

Yes it may be large by puppy standards but I always do full install to hard disk so it is not important to me. I just want the thing to work.The good thing about puppy is that it is a small download and can be added to easily.Anything based on Barrys editions works Unfortunately I have tried a few of the offshoots based on other bases i.e Spup and Dpup and while they are OK they seem to fall down in the detail.
Regards Dennis.
spongedaddy

I realize this is an old thread, but...

#6 Post by spongedaddy »

I was having this same problem and took disciple's advice to use glipper.

This works perfectly for me.

(just my $0.02 :) )
Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

I don't have a middle mouse button so to copy to rxvt rather than simultaneously pressing the left and right mouse buttons I find it easier to use Shift + Insert.

To copy from rxvt to the clipboard highlight as desired and then release.

My regards

PS I prefer the Parcellite clipboard to the Glipper clipboard because it has an "edit" function.
disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Sir Jasper wrote:Hi,

I don't have a middle mouse button so to copy to rxvt rather than simultaneously pressing the left and right mouse buttons I find it easier to use Shift + Insert.
Thanks, I always forget about that.

Personally I prefer glipper-lite, since it behaves best around binary clipboard data (e.g. images) ;)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 744#391744
I didn't discover it until after the early part of this thread.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER