Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
hokal

#781 Post by hokal »

snap shot works with my 901 camera, but picture is completely overexposed, means brightness FAR too high.
Can we adjust that somehow and somewhere ??

cimh

#782 Post by cimh »

Browsers - I am copying my mail from the other forum. where I benchmarked the main browsers: these show that chrome is easily the fastest. ff with meerkat is ok on a small screen. I agree that html editing is the only reason I like seamonkey - but how many of us do that? and recently I have used scream for that. (its not wysiwyg). The chrome add ons are great too. so I say go with it.

cimh

>>>>>
I have run chrome, seamonkey, ff 2 & 3.56, puppy browser and opera thru 2 benchmarks using puppeee 2.5b on a full install in performance mode.

Sunspider - Java test (lowest is best)

Chrome 4 = 2,587ms
ff 3.5 = 5,765ms
Opera 10 = 16,000ms
puppy = 67,000ms
ff2 & seamonkey = both are too slow and cause the scripts to crash so no score.

service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/ (highest score is best)

Chrome 4 = 850
Opera 10 = 386
ff 3.5 = 369
seamonkey = 106
puppy = 104
ff2 = 103

These tests confirm that Chrome is by far the fastest browser on my 901.
http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeep ... n?key=2dN6

<<<

hokal

#783 Post by hokal »

that looks very good. Let's go for Chrome !! :D
I'm not able to create websides (html) on my little friend (901).
For that task I would use my desktop with large screen!

jemimah

#784 Post by jemimah »

Cimh, you've been running Chrome longer than I have, any stability issues?

It's obvious the UI of Chrome was designed with netbooks in mind. It uses minimal screen real estate out of the box, and it even has an option to run without the window manager border.

I will admit I haven't tried Opera lately. I still have flashbacks of that obnoxious adbar. I assume that's gone by now.

Part of my goal is to convince the people on the Eeeuser forum that Puppy is not just a "backup OS."

I don't plan on making the change for 3.4 anyway as I'd like to do a little more research first and see if it can be cut down any. I'm also considering if Ayttm could be replaced with Pidgin (also maybe a cut down version). I really wanted to like Ayttm, but it's giving me bizarre numbers for the status messages and I can't tell if my friends are away or not.

---

Hokal, if your Vattery's not fixed in 3.4 I'll make you a special debugging version. I'm assuming you tried changing the colors in the preferences.

The backend of webcam-snapshot does support brightness adjustment. It's probably time to revisit it now that my gtkdialog skills are better. There's also a couple of candidates for a more full featured webcam app but I'm not sure how small there are.

prehistoric

browser wars

#785 Post by prehistoric »

jtouso wrote:Why not Opera?
hokal wrote:that looks very good. Let's go for Chrome !!
Zigbert and mulrah actually like Seamonkey.

I asked for a version of Boxpup because I use FireFox 3.5.x.

Speed isn't everything. There are many add-ons for FireFox not available for other browsers. I use NoScript, even though the risk is minimal under Linux, because it allows me to see what sneaky tricks web sites are trying to pull through scripting. When you're following up on an attack, you need to go where others fear to tread. Other people want entirely different add-ons.

The above quotes bolster my case that browser wars never end.

jemimah

#786 Post by jemimah »

I have no intention of belaboring this for very long. I'll just decide, and we'll move on. Everyone can continue to install their favorite browser. Hopefully if I can build Chromium from source, it won't even be much larger than Seamonkey so it won't make any difference.

I realize I have about 47 projects on my plate right now, but I have to go with my whims or it's just not fun for me. On that note, check out this music player I found. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51551

cimh

#787 Post by cimh »

jemimah wrote:Cimh, you've been running Chrome longer than I have, any stability issues?
I dont think its ever crashed on me in 3 months linux use. (FF crashed today on me so In my experience is more solid than ff) and its at least twice as fast as the competitors.

FF with meekat goes a long way to giving you more screen but still not as much as chrome.

Opera 10 is so much better than earlier versions and the front page now looks very much like chrome but it feels like it was designed for the large screen and of course it is noticably slower than chrome.

1 negative point: chrome is still beta (but a lot more solid than most final products)

2 positive points:
a) out of sm, op & ff chrome is the hardest to install as the pets need to be made more often cos of its beta status. so you have to search harder to find it. the others are more readily available as pets so they are easier to doesnload at a later date if people prefer them

b) the google chrome extensions are brilliant and sit on the top bar without taking up any space - users of gmail and gdocs will find them invaluable.

But I agree it doesnt matter too much as people can choose later.

cimh

jemimah

#788 Post by jemimah »

Does anyone with an Eee 900 have no sound in 3.3? Someone on the other forum mentioned this and it be helpful to know if the problem is widespread.

--

I got the Chrome/Sypheed sfs down to 91MB. Maybe I will use that for 3.4. We can always go back if there are major problems.

hokal

#789 Post by hokal »

@jemimah
Vattery
what is the use of Vattery "preferences"?? Yes I tried to play with it, but no reaction on the vattery icon.
Messenger
I'm looking for a messenger program to chat (msn) with my daughters who study in Holland. Pidgin worked until some months ago, but no more because of incompatibility problems with msn. Ayttm I never got working in msn mode! Can you check pidgin msn before you integrate it ??
DVB-T.
I know a few linux / Unbuntu users who use the "Digitrate" usb stick and would like to switch to puppeee. If, and only then, its not a big deal, firmware integration in next version would be appreciated. attached is the dmesg output.

But of course your points on THE "list" are the most important one.
Attachments
afatech.jpg
(85.93 KiB) Downloaded 281 times

jemimah

#790 Post by jemimah »

You can download the firmware here: http://www.otit.fi/~crope/v4l-dvb/af901 ... es/4.95.0/

If you put it it /lib/firmware and reinsert the stick, it just might work.

I will check the msn thing. I was planning on trying to build the latest pidgin today.

cimh

#791 Post by cimh »

Jemimah

One problem with chrome is the fonts are too small - there are fixes but its more work.

cimh

jemimah

#792 Post by jemimah »

The fonts look ok to me. Have you tried adjusting the global font size?

dougeeebear

#793 Post by dougeeebear »

Is it possible that we can, or possibly someday will be able to install debian apps in puppeee?

maybe
sc0ttman wrote:As a note...

Quite a few of the libs and apps used in Puppy Arcade (and therefore Puppeee Arcade) have already been taken from various debian repositories.. And I have often successfully installed apps from debian repositories into Puppy Linux, but usually find that Puppy already has a smaller, faster alternative.

If I remember correctly, Puppeee Arcade will install .deb files, as if they are .pet files, but more usefully, you can also view their contents and extract them, as if they were any other archive.

This is more useful as directories often need to be modified for creating menu items and icons, etc... Once extracted, folders can be easily converted to dot pet files and installed with ease...

Just a note, as I say..

jemimah

#794 Post by jemimah »

It's going to be hit and miss with other distribution's packages. Small stuff without a lot of dependencies would work better than complex stuff. It may be possible to make a Dpup-based Puppeee but I will wait for Dpup to get through beta testing first.

dougeeebear

#795 Post by dougeeebear »

Any chance that PCMan file manager would work on puppeee in addition to the rox filer?
I realise a lot of things depend on rox, but it sure leaves a lot to be desired as a user friendly file manager.

cimh

#796 Post by cimh »

jemimah wrote:The fonts look ok to me. Have you tried adjusting the global font size?
yes it helps but they do not look as good as the deb version from http://www.google.co.uk/chrome the fonts look great when this is installed to eeebuntu. But the pet version I used for puppeee (googlechrome-004) I think has tiny fonts even tho both versions show the same font size (16,16,13) in the options. Not sure if that is becasue of the chrome package or the fonts in buntu & puppy

cimh

jemimah

#797 Post by jemimah »

You can find PCmanFM here. I haven't tested it. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25699 [edit: nevermind I think those are for puppy 3 only, there's probably a puppy 4 package around here somewhere. :? ]

Cimh, did you say you fixed the fonts somehow? How did you do it?

rhadon

#798 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

I'm playing with Puppeee 4.31 beta-3_3 only since about 1 week and didn't read all 54 pages of this thread. So far I like it.
jemimah wrote:Does anyone with an Eee 900 have no sound in 3.3? Someone on the other forum mentioned this and it be helpful to know if the problem is widespread.
For me it worked OTB. The only possible 'problem' I can see: There is a new control called 'speaker' in Alsa mixer (I don't have it e.g. in uPuP). If it's down you have no sound, no matter what the volume control at the bottom of the desktop is showing.

Which browser is not important for me. I use Opera 10.10 portable also for my emails. This means, I installed it once on SD and now I have access to it from all puppies I'm running even if I boot from USB. Also I like to share files without using a webserver.

For webcam I only use skype wich works fine on Puppeee. Maybe videoview is of interest? Works with Puppeee and you can also record video and even sound. No dependencies (or at least nothing what isn't in Puppy). The size is 371k.

At last one suggestion or request: If you have more than 16 drives/partitions then the last ones appear in the lower right corner at the same place. I know Berry solved this problem, at least in Quirky. He wrote about it in his Blog but I can't find it now.
It's not important but sometimes annoying.

~ Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

dougeeebear

#799 Post by dougeeebear »

I can't imagine having 16 drives/partitions on an EeePC.

jemimah

#800 Post by jemimah »

I actually tried the icon placement script from Quirky on Puppeee, but all the icons ended up in the upper left corner. I'll try to figure out why, obviously it works on Quirky so there has to be an answer.

Videoview has a license that prevents redistribution so that's a no go. There's a couple open source options, but they are not as small.