Advantages/Disadvantages of HD Install?

Booting, installing, newbie
Bronco Billy

Do You Work for Geico............

#41 Post by Bronco Billy »

bugman wrote:
Bronco Billy wrote:I Have a Pentium 2.4 with Puppy 431 frugally installed on a the Default Linux file system... With ONE Modification to menu.lst..... Everything is done with the Universal Installer using ALL the Defaults except for the ONE Mod to Menu.lst..... This Frugal Puppy 431 Install can be done in 10 Minutes to the System of Your Choice...... This Installation Will NOT CRASH on a Dirty Power Down..... Have a Great Day with Your New Found Knowledge.... :)
and i'm sure you have enough RAM to make frugal an option

i do not, especially as i do heavy-duty music editing

my full install will ALSO NOT CRASH on a dirty power down [as i mentioned after this morning's power outage]

btw, i think this summer [thunderstorm season] i will post every time the power goes out [and in as many threads as possible] about how my full install my puppy bounced right back, and sign off with:

Have a Great Day with Your New Found Knowledge.... :)

[in other words, i will be a repetitive bore TOO]
You Have Enough Ram in Your Computer System but Not Enough Ram in Your Head to Accomplish the Task.... Have a Great Day With Your New Found Knowledge.... :)
MinHundHettePerro

#42 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Sorry, Broncs,
read your posts,
pondered,
still cannot see your reason :shock:

Have a Great Day With Your New Found Knowledgeable Great Dane.... :)
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]
JMW4th

#43 Post by JMW4th »

to change the subject here, and move on from the pointless bickering..

does Java not work? I installed the Pet package from the Wiki, but it does not seem to be working at all. am I missing something?
bugman

Re: Do You Work for Geico............

#44 Post by bugman »

Bronco Billy wrote:You Have Enough Ram in Your Computer System but Not Enough Ram in Your Head to Accomplish the Task....
no, sweetie, like i said, i do music editing, it eats up everything in the system, which is why i use a FULL INSTALL with no rox desktop, no cupsd, no a couple of other things

i boot with about 50mb of ram being used, 450mb available, can't do that with frugal

otherwise, i eat up the swap partition on my hard drive, and the processing goes REALLY SLOW, and that would be BAD

and every power outage, i reboot without a problem, and that would be GOOD

Have a Great Day With Your New Found Knowledge.... :)
DMcCunney

#45 Post by DMcCunney »

JMW4th wrote:does Java not work? I installed the Pet package from the Wiki, but it does not seem to be working at all. am I missing something?
Java ought to work fine. It does here. Among other things, I can successfully run IBM's Eclipse programming environment, which is written in Java.

Tell us what apparently isn't working?
______
Dennis
racepres

#46 Post by racepres »

bugman wrote:mods, may i repeat my request for an IGNORE button?

[shroomy billy]
+1
Me and bugman are on the same page!!!
If this Troll was on my forum.... well,, he would Not Be!
RP
JMW4th

#47 Post by JMW4th »

DMcCunney wrote:
JMW4th wrote:does Java not work? I installed the Pet package from the Wiki, but it does not seem to be working at all. am I missing something?
Java ought to work fine. It does here. Among other things, I can successfully run IBM's Eclipse programming environment, which is written in Java.

______
Dennis
I think maybe it is because i am using google chrome.

but speaking of...I was under the impression that with Puppy 4.3.1 that you could use the Package Manager to install files from other distros like Debian/Ubuntu?

however, whenever I try to do this, the Package successfully installs, but for some reason I can't use it. I can't find it on my menus, and then when I do find it somehow...when I click on it nothing happens. no "failure" warning or anything. no install errors.
DMcCunney

#48 Post by DMcCunney »

JMW4th wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:

I think maybe it is because i am using google chrome.
What happens if you try SeaMonkey or Firefox?

I have Google Chrome on my desktop and it works fine, but the Linux version is still too much of a work in progress, and I prefer Firefox in any case.
but speaking of...I was under the impression that with Puppy 4.3.1 that you could use the Package Manager to install files from other distros like Debian/Ubuntu?

however, whenever I try to do this, the Package successfully installs, but for some reason I can't use it. I can't find it on my menus, and then when I do find it somehow...when I click on it nothing happens. no "failure" warning or anything. no install errors.
Well, the package manager says it installed. It needs better error checking routines. I've seen it say it installed something (from a tgz file) when in fact it didn't. It didn't see errors and reported success, but it likely wasn't looking at enough possible failure conditions.

To see what's going on, I'd open a terminal window, navigate to the location where the executable was placed, and invoke it from the command line as ./<whatever>. The likely problem is missing dependencies - one or more libraries the app needs to work aren't present on Puppy.

The Ubuntu package manger is good about this: when you select a package from a repository, it analyzes dependencies and downloads not only the application, but anything it needs you don't already have. Puppy is only beginning to do any sort of dependency management.

I've installed from DEB files, but I normally just open the DEB archive, and extract the data.tgz file from it, then extract the contents of that to /. The data.tgz file will contain the binaries and other things required by the app, and doing an extract with full paths will put things in the desired places.

This will not update the Puppy menu structure (which I mostly don't care about because the programs I'm installing are things that wouldn't have one, like console apps), and there's no guarantee the app will run - I may have missing dependencies and have to hunt down libraries.

What DEB files were you interested in?
______
Dennis
Colonel Panic

Re: The Reality is Full Install 431 FAILS......

#49 Post by Colonel Panic »

Bronco Billy wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:The disadvantage of a hard drive install in the old days used to be that when an XOrg crash happened - and it did with monotonous regularity - it was pot luck whether or not you'd be able to get X Windows working again as there was no easy way to fix it (yes I've posted on it here :) ). Now that XOrg is more stable on the recent versions of Puppy, this may not be an issue any longer and I'm thinking of giving it another shot.
Have a Great Day with Your New Found Knowledge..... :)
I did, until I ended up with a forest of Fix(y)'s when I tried to e2fsck the partition. I'm not blaming Puppy for that; there's probably something amiss with the drive. Maybe old age.

A footnote; ever tried to use e2fsck when there's a large number of errors? I gave up after the seconfd hundred (y)'s). Why hasn't someone managed to automate it by now?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.
Colonel Panic

#50 Post by Colonel Panic »

Bronco Billy wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:The disadvantage of a hard drive install in the old days used to be that when an XOrg crash happened - and it did with monotonous regularity - it was pot luck whether or not you'd be able to get X Windows working again as there was no easy way to fix it (yes I've posted on it here :) ). Now that XOrg is more stable on the recent versions of Puppy, this may not be an issue any longer and I'm thinking of giving it another shot.
I did, until I ended up with a forest of Fix(y)'s when I tried to e2fsck the partition. I'm not blaming Puppy for that; there's probably something amiss with the drive. Maybe old age.

A footnote; ever tried to use e2fsck when there's a large number of errors? I gave up after about the second hundred Fix(y)'s. Why hasn't someone managed to automate it by now?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.
JMW4th

#51 Post by JMW4th »

downloaded Java from here:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JavaRuntimeEnvironment

and it fails to install.
Bronco Billy

#52 Post by Bronco Billy »

Colonel Panic wrote:
Bronco Billy wrote:

A footnote; ever tried to use e2fsck when there's a large number of errors? I gave up after about the second hundred Fix(y)'s. Why hasn't someone managed to automate it by now?
I Did Automate It.......

Frugal reinstall on the default linux partioned drive.... Then add the Below Fix to the New frugal Install menu.lst.... You should NEVER Have any more Failures on Dirty Power Downs..... Have a Great Day with Your New Found Knowledge....... :)

Add the Red pfix=fsck to Your Menu.lst and reboot....

title Puppy Linux 431 frugal
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /puppy431/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy431 nosmp pfix=fsck
initrd /puppy431/initrd.gz
Colonel Panic

#53 Post by Colonel Panic »

Bronco Billy wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
Bronco Billy wrote: Have a Great Day with Your New Found Knowledge..... :)

I Did Automate It.......

Frugal reinstall on the default linux partioned drive.... Then add the Below Fix to the New frugal Install menu.lst.... You should NEVER Have any more Failures on Dirty Power Downs..... Have a Great Day with Your New Found Knowledge....... :)

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
Thanks for this, but where do I find the menu.lst file? I know there's one if you boot from grub, but AFAIK you only get grub when you have a full install.
Bronco Billy

#54 Post by Bronco Billy »

Colonel Panic wrote:
Bronco Billy wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote: I did, until I ended up with a forest of Fix(y)'s when I tried to e2fsck the partition. I'm not blaming Puppy for that; there's probably something amiss with the drive. Maybe old age.

I Did Automate It.......

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
Thanks for this, but where do I find the menu.lst file? I know there's one if you boot from grub, but AFAIK you only get grub when you have a full install.

Menu.lst is in the Grub Folder on a Frugal Install.... If I Remember Correctly there Is NO menu.lst in a Full Install.... Have a Great Day.... :)
rjbrewer

#55 Post by rjbrewer »

/boot/grub/menu.lst for both frugal and full installs.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
Bronco Billy

Your Right....

#56 Post by Bronco Billy »

rjbrewer wrote:/boot/grub/menu.lst for both frugal and full installs.
:D
DMcCunney

#57 Post by DMcCunney »

Bronco Billy wrote:Menu.lst is in the Grub Folder on a Frugal Install.... If I Remember Correctly there Is NO menu.lst in a Full Install....
You don't remember correctly.

I have a full install, and menu.lst is in /boot/grub. There has to be one, as it's what grub uses to display your boot options on startup.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney

#58 Post by DMcCunney »

Colonel Panic wrote:A footnote; ever tried to use e2fsck when there's a large number of errors? I gave up after the seconfd hundred (y)'s). Why hasn't someone managed to automate it by now?
It has been. See http://linux.die.net/man/8/fsck.ext3 for the man page.

The short answer is that passing -y as an argument tells e2fsck to assume a yes answer to all questions.

This has been true for every version of fsck on every flavor of *nix I've used since AT&Y System V Release 2 in the 80s.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney

#59 Post by DMcCunney »

JMW4th wrote:downloaded Java from here:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JavaRuntimeEnvironment

and it fails to install.
What, if anything, does it say when you try?
______
Dennis
JMW4th

#60 Post by JMW4th »

Bronco Billy wrote:
Menu.lst is in the Grub Folder on a Frugal Install.... If I Remember Correctly there Is NO menu.lst in a Full Install.... Have a Great Day.... :)
yes there is. I've been using Linux for exactly two days, and even I knew that.