So what is Wine anyway?

Booting, installing, newbie
IndygoEEI

So what is Wine anyway?

#1 Post by IndygoEEI »

i don't understand it. How does it run? I thought
you had to install windows to get it to work...

benali72

WINE lets you run Windows programs under Linux

#2 Post by benali72 »

WINE is a Linux program. You install it like any other Linux program. After you do, you can run Windows programs under Linux. To run a Windows program (under WINE and Linux), just double-click on the program file, the exact same way you would to run the program under native Windows.

That's it in a nutshell. For all the details --- www.winehq.org.

For information on running WINE under Puppy Linux see -- http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Wine

I found WINE really useful when I had some old Windows programs dating way back from 1992 that ran under WIndows 3.1. I installed WINE and they all ran fine under Linux. They won't of course run under current versions of Windows like Vista or Windows 7. One point for Linux!

chrissy

#3 Post by chrissy »

I think of it as Win(dows)E(mulator). but I suppose the E could also stand for Environment.
It is handy for getting used to linux but finding just one or two things were very hard to do without when not using windows.
It doesn't run everything from windows but I think each new release adds a bit more facility to cope with the less adaptable programmes.

Béèm

#4 Post by Béèm »

As my favorite e-mail client and news client have no linux implementations I use Wine in puppy
I made xxx.desktop files for it and they are part of the menu now.
The wine I use now is 1.1.20 as an sfs.
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

Sky Aisling

So what is Wine anyway?

#5 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello :)

Will Wine run in Precise Puppy 5.7.1?
If so, which is the most stable version to use?

Thank you in advance.

nic007

Re: So what is Wine anyway?

#6 Post by nic007 »

Sky Aisling wrote:Hello :)

Will Wine run in Precise Puppy 5.7.1?
If so, which is the most stable version to use?

Thank you in advance.
Should. As previously mentioned, the most recent version of WINE should be able to run more windows programmes. The downside is that it gets bigger and bigger with each new version. I use an old version (1.14) and it runs about 80% of the windows programmes I were running under Windows XP.

Sky Aisling

So what is Wine anyway?

#7 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you, nic007
Here's to a good new year. :)
Should. As previously mentioned, the most recent version of WINE should be able to run more windows programmes. The downside is that it gets bigger and bigger with each new version. I use an old version (1.14) and it runs about 80% of the windows programmes I were running under Windows XP.

perdido

#8 Post by perdido »

Wine runs fine in Puppy Precise 5.7.1 The version that has worked best for my 5.7.1 install is wine-1.6.1-486_v2.1.pet available here
md5 for wine-1.6.1-i486_v2.1.pet f4480e2d211709c14942969a59225270

This pet was built by forum member version2013 (formerly known as green_dome )
He maintains a thread with his wine builds at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

The pet I linked to is his build for Racy Puppy5.5 which also works on the Precise Puppy.

I also had to install two dependencies for that pet. They are:
libgettextpo0_0.18.1.1-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
libmpg123-0_1.12.1-3.2ubuntu1_i386.deb

As nic007 mentioned, the earlier versions are smaller but the later versions will probably run more windows programs.

edit: added md5 for wine-1.6.1-i486_v2.1.pet
Last edited by perdido on Thu 02 Jan 2014, 15:29, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

FWIW, I've read that WINE is an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator."
I suppose that means Wine does not "emulate" Windows, but uses some other approach to make Windows programs work in Linux.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

It runs code in a native manner .... so you have win32 interpreters built as elf executables... gives a near native performance and also means there is no isolation from the system like a real emulator...beware if you get the urge to add IE.

In terms of size it seems to grow exponentially.
I see tiny differences between 1.00 and 1.3.33 for example but its over twice the size...more dependancies and wine gecko more than doubles but is just as usless lol...
Most changes seem to be aimed at gaimers plus they went the way of silly version numbers so its hard to tell what you are getting. Just get something reasonable that is compatible. Its all pretty stable really...one of its good points.

If you have a specific app then search on apps at winehq and it will tell you what version supports it if it does.

Lastly ...use the sfs packages so its easy if you want to swap versions.

mike

Sky Aisling

So what is Wine anyway?

#11 Post by Sky Aisling »

Your help is perfect.
Thank you.

I'm testing both Wine versions you've suggested.
At the moment I am on Wine 1.4_1.4.
The person who will be using this app has only one very old version of Solar Fire Astrological software to run.
Because the Solar Fire program is relatively lightweight, I'll test with Wine 1.4 first. (No need to load up extra coding.)
I have downloaded Wine 1.4 and dependencies.
Wine is now asking me to install I.E.
I do not want to do that.
Will Wine work with Seamonkey? or Firefox?
If so, how do I do that?

Sky Aisling

So what is Wine anyway?

#12 Post by Sky Aisling »

mikeb
Lastly ...use the sfs packages so its easy if you want to swap versions.
I just remembered your last suggestion. I'm guessing I didn't do that with this install? I can redo the install if you tell me how to find the .sfs package of Wine 1.4_1.4 and dependencies.

EDIT: mikeb - sorry, please ignore this post. I've set the WINE test up on an extra flash drive that I can easily erase and redo. First, I just need to see WINE and how it works before I put it on my friend's machine. :roll:

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

Sky Aisling wrote:Your help is perfect.
Thank you.

I'm testing both Wine versions you've suggested.
At the moment I am on Wine 1.4_1.4.
The person who will be using this app has only one very old version of Solar Fire Astrological software to run.
Because the Solar Fire program is relatively lightweight, I'll test with Wine 1.4 first. (No need to load up extra coding.)
I have downloaded Wine 1.4 and dependencies.
Wine is now asking me to install I.E.
I do not want to do that.
Will Wine work with Seamonkey? or Firefox?
If so, how do I do that?
Sky you don't have to download IE or gecko, skip it (select NO at installation). The latter is only necessary if the windows programs you are going to use require IE to run. WINE works independently from Seamonkey and Firefox (unless you are installing the windows version of Firefox which you shouldn't do). WINE shouldn't have any effect on these programs. There is a utility called pets2sfs, so you can download that and convert the pet file to sfs. Unfortunately I do not have Precise so can't tell you which version of WINE will work best.

Sky Aisling

So what is Wine anyway?

#14 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you nic007,

I am I understanding correctly that once Wine 1.4 is downloaded and installed then the main program will execute like any other Puppy app?
That is by initiating the .desktop version now listed in menu/usr/share/applications?

If so, then here are the results so far:
wine.desktop does not execute - no error message given, just doesn't fire up.
(wine in usr/bin doesn't execute either)
wine-browsedrive.desktop does execute
wine-notepad.desktop does execute
wine-winecfg.desktop does execute
wine-uninstaller.desktop - haven't tried that yet.

I have not loaded any windoze programs into the wine program directory yet.
I downloaded all of the dependencies that PPM suggested to accompany Wine 1.4.
I did 'trim the fat' before final installation.

I will try Perdido's suggestion of wine-1.6.1-486_v2.1.pet later after I see if 1.4 will run on 5.7.1

EDIT: nic007 you write:
Sky you don't have to download IE or gecko, skip it (select NO at installation). The latter is only necessary if the windows programs you are going to use require IE to run.
I am waiting for my friend to give me the exact version of her Solar Fire Windoze application.
I have a creeping feeling that I will discover that it is I.E. dependent. If so, then, that is a show stopper.
Perhaps the moral of this story is check the requirements of the input program before getting all excited about installing WINE. :)
I'll know more tomorrow a.m. Thank you again.

perdido

#15 Post by perdido »

Sky Aisling wrote: I am I understanding correctly that once Wine 1.4 is downloaded and installed then the main program will execute like any other Puppy app?
That is by initiating the .desktop version now listed in menu/usr/share/applications?
No, the main wine program is automatically launched when you launch a windows program from the /.wine/drive_c/ directory or a sub-directory such as /.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ using Rox (or your default file manager) You can also launch your windows programs from the JWM menu just like all the puppy programs.

The wine program does not run by itself. Also, when you exit the windows program wine will automatically shut down unless there is another windows program running.
You can install the windows programs directly from the /.wine/drive_c/ directory, a CD drive or even a floppy. Launch the install/setup program with Rox or your default file manager, it automatically starts wine and installs just like a regular windows program if all goes well.

I will try Perdido's suggestion of wine-1.6.1-486_v2.1.pet later after I see if 1.4 will run on 5.7.1
Version 1.4 and earlier versions will run OK. I tried 1.4 but I had a little trouble with my display so experimented with other versions. The version I pointed to is the latest stable version and it took care of my problem, that is why I recommend it.
Last edited by perdido on Thu 02 Jan 2014, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

Sky Aisling wrote:Thank you nic007,

I am I understanding correctly that once Wine 1.4 is downloaded and installed then the main program will execute like any other Puppy app?

If so, then here are the results so far:
wine.desktop does not execute - no error message given, just doesn't fire up.
(wine in usr/bin doesn't execute either)
wine-browsedrive.desktop does execute
wine-notepad.desktop does execute
wine-winecfg.desktop does execute
wine-uninstaller.desktop - haven't tried that yet.

EDIT: nic007 you write:
Sky you don't have to download IE or gecko, skip it (select NO at installation). The latter is only necessary if the windows programs you are going to use require IE to run.
I am waiting for my friend to give me the exact version of her Solar Fire Windoze application.
I have a creeping feeling that I will discover that it is I.E. dependent. If so, then, that is a show stopper.
Perhaps the moral of this story is check the requirements of the input program before getting all excited about installing WINE. :)
I'll know more tomorrow a.m. Thank you again.
I think you will find that you very seldom need this gecko or IE stuff. I don't have it. Don't know this solar program you want to run but I have Cybersky which runs without a glitch. I've checked the menu entries for my WINE installation and it may or may not be similar to yours. To install a windows program I will run "Wine remove programs" from my menu. This will pop up a screen which has an install function to install windows programs or to uninstall already installed programs (sounds that this may well be the same as your "uninstall" menu entry). It works much like the add/remove programs in Windows. If you have windows programs that don't need installation (like portable apps), make a folder for each of those applications and move it to /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files. This is also the location where your programs will be installed via the install menu entry. The safest and recommended way to run windows programs will be via the "Wine task manager" menu entry (I hope yours is the same). Locate the program in the task manager (it will be in the c drive as mentioned above) and run its exe file to start the program. The nice thing about the task manager is that it will save a record of the most recent programs you had run so you can just click the program in the pop-up window to run it again at a later stage. Good luck

mcewanw

#17 Post by mcewanw »

Sky Aisling wrote: I am I understanding correctly that once Wine 1.4 is downloaded and installed then the main program will execute like any other Puppy app?
Actually, that is pretty much true, (EDIT: assuming by "main program" you mean the .exe program you are trying to run); except you need to tell Rox that it is to run .exe programs using the command wine "$@". I can't remember how I do that (I would need to try it again to remind myself of the process!) but I think you maybe just right-click on the .exe in Rox and there is an entry box somewhere asking you what command to use (which is where you enter: wine "$@" (Sorry, I'm using Puppy Guydog without Rox at the moment, so I can't check details; I do it differently in Guydog.)

You don't need the windows .exe program to be in /root/.wine/drive_c/. I use Wine frequently, using it for Irfanview and some other software - even MS office 2010 components sometimes. I have these installed to my /mnt/home rather than filling up the savefile via /root/.wine/drive_c. Even without telling Rox to start the program via wine you can manually start the .exe via a terminal. Just change directory to wherever you have the .exe stored. For example, I have Irfanview in /mnt/home/irfanview so I can run it by entering:

Code: Select all

cd /mnt/home/irfanview
wine irfanview.exe
In practice, however, I have Rox always using wine for .exe files, and you can also create desktop files as long as you remember to start the programs with command beginning with "wine" followed by the complete path of where you have your .exe stored.

By the way, I generally use wine stable version 1.41 but I've tried many of the later ones from greendome too and they all worked fine. However, as suggested by mikeb it is convenient to use a wine sfs rather than filling up you savefile with a dotpet install.
Last edited by mcewanw on Thu 02 Jan 2014, 09:32, edited 2 times in total.
github mcewanw

nic007

#18 Post by nic007 »

mcewanw wrote:
Actually, that is pretty much true, except you need to tell Rox that it is to run .exe programs using the command wine "$@". I can't remember how I do that (I would need to try it again to remind myself of the process!) but I think you maybe just right-click on the .exe in Rox and there is an entry box somewhere asking you what command to use (which is where you enter: wine "$@" (Sorry, I'm using Puppy Guydog without Rox at the moment, so I can't check details; I do it diffently in Guydog.)

You don't need the windows .exe program to be in /root/.wine/drive_c/. I use Wine frequently, using it for Irfanview and some other software - even MS office 2010 components sometimes. I have these installed to my /mnt/home rather than filling up the savefile via /root/.wine/drive_c. Even without telling Rox to start the program via wine you can manually start the .exe via a terminal. Just change directory to wherever you have the .exe stored. For example, I have Irfanview in /mnt/home/irfanview so I can run it by entering:

Code: Select all

cd /mnt/home/irfanview
wine irfanview.exe
In practice, however, I have Rox always using wine for .exe files, and you can also create desktop files as long as you remember to start the programs with command beginning with "wine" followed by the complete path of where you have your .exe stored.

By the way, I generally use wine stable version 1.41 but I've tried many of the later ones from greendome too and they all worked fine. However, as suggested by mikeb it is convenient to use a wine sfs rather than filling up you savefile with a dotpet install.
The installation of wine should associate wine with exe files by default.

Sky Aisling

So what is Wine anyway?

#19 Post by Sky Aisling »

I think you will find that you very seldom need this gecko or IE stuff. I don't have it. Don't know this solar program you want to run but I have Cybersky which runs without a glitch. I've checked the menu entries for my WINE installation and it may or may not be similar to yours. To install a windows program I will run "Wine remove programs" from my menu. This will pop up a screen which has an install function to install windows programs or to uninstall already installed programs (sounds that this may well be the same as your "uninstall" menu entry). It works much like the add/remove programs in Windows. If you have windows programs that don't need installation (like portable apps), make a folder for each of those applications and move it to /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files. This is also the location where your programs will be installed via the install menu entry. The safest and recommended way to run windows programs will be via the "Wine task manager" menu entry (I hope yours is the same). Locate the program in the task manager (it will be in the c drive as mentioned above) and run its exe file to start the program. The nice thing about the task manager is that it will save a record of the most recent programs you had run so you can just click the program in the pop-up window to run it again at a later stage. Good luck
Hello, :)
I was hoping I could sign in today with a success story, but, so far no gold ring.

Both Wine 1.4 and Wine 1.6.1 present the same issue.
They both insist that I install *Gecko* when I attempt to activate a *.exe program.

Here is the test I made:
I downloaded a small .exe program (a solitaire game) to use as the test .exe program.
Wine begins installation when the .exe program is activated.
But, WINE says, I must have Gecko installed and it will install it now.
When I cancel the installation WINE then blows off with a LUA error.
I'm not given the option to skip the Gecko install.

The screenshots below show the progress.
I took a *dmesg* at the time of the LUA error. (screenshot 9)
Could there be something in the *dependencies* that forces the Gecko install?
Is there is config file that can be edited to eliminate the forced install of Gecko?
Attachments
aek.WINE-Question3.png
(148.28 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
aek.WINE-Question8.png
(17.63 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
aek.WINE-Question9.png
(104.7 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
aek.WINE-Question5.png
(24.86 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
aek.dependencies2.png
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
aek.dependencies1.png
(15.77 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

some bad installer software uses internet explorer to display the license agreement...adobe 9 is one example.... sad but true

Mike