Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#921 Post by jemimah »

I did just get it to work on my XP partition, but I don't have a Vista installation to mess with and I don't have Grub2 so I don't know exactly what's happening. Can you try installing Quirky the same way? That would tell me if it's the init script or the kernel differences that could be the culprit. Can anyone else with Vista try it and let me know how it goes? (Although I don't think you can buy an EeePc with Vista so we're not likely to get too much help here).

jakfish

#922 Post by jakfish »

Hi, Jemimah,

Because I have the eee 900 which doesn't play nice with elantech, I've been using your old non-elantech kernel. Is there a non-elantech version of the 2.6.31.5 eee kernel?

I just tried that kernel, but still find the lack of accurate response in the eee 900 touchpad.

Hope this finds you well,
Jake

jemimah

#923 Post by jemimah »

Darn, I was hoping the new kernel would fix your problem. :(

I'll build you a no-elachtech version tonight.

jakfish

#924 Post by jakfish »

I very much appreciate that--above and beyond the call of duty, but that's always been your approach.

Many thanks,
Jake

nooby

#925 Post by nooby »

I tested with Quirky 5 and it found the sfs files but had trouble with the graphic card so seems to be something else going on.

I have to go to bed now. Linux Mint boot frugally here now but I fail to get it to save. Would be cool to get Puppeee going too. It is a Desktop. Maybe Puppeee only works on Laptops?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jemimah

#926 Post by jemimah »

Ah that explains it. Puppeee probably doesn't have drivers for your hard disk at all. Yes it only works on EeePcs and other computers with exactly the same hardware as an EeePc.

jemimah

#927 Post by jemimah »

Here's how you set a minimum font size in Chrome. http://emps.l-c-n.com/notebook/chrome-minimum-font-size

davesurrey

#928 Post by davesurrey »

jemimah
FWIW I tested both puppeee beta3.4 and quirky005 doing frugal installs to an ntfs partition that also contained Windows XP.
I used grub4dos to boot.
This is very similar to what nooby is trying to do.

I can boot to quirky but not puppeee.
So it does seem to be an issue of lack of drivers rather than any quirky problem with ntfs.

HTH
Dave

jemimah

#929 Post by jemimah »

The no-elantech kernel is posted at http://drop.io/puppeee.

nooby

#930 Post by nooby »

jemimah wrote:Ah that explains it. Puppeee probably doesn't have drivers for your hard disk at all. Yes it only works on EeePcs and other computers with exactly the same hardware as an EeePc.
Heheh then all is as it should be then. I keep it to use on my Acer D250 Netbook then.

but quirky 006 should work on desktops?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jakfish

#931 Post by jakfish »

Jemimah,

Thank you for such speedy work. But with this kernel, even without elantech, I'm still having the same mouse inaccuracies. I went back to your old kernel and the mouse was fine. Any idea why?

Jake

Nevermore

#932 Post by Nevermore »

jemimah does it work overclock on ur system?
since on mine doesnt...
--
/sbin/Nevermore

dougeeebear

#933 Post by dougeeebear »

jemimah wrote:Here's how you set a minimum font size in Chrome. http://emps.l-c-n.com/notebook/chrome-minimum-font-size
That would probably work ok if Puppeee wasn't lacking in the fonts department.
Any idea where a good set of fonts could be picked up?

jemimah

#934 Post by jemimah »

Dougeeebear, the DejaVu fonts are installed and they look nice to me. I was going to make them the default for the next version. Otherwise we could use the Liberation fonts that I'm currently testing.

Nevermore, the overclocking works on my 701. I've only ever crashed it that way once. Does yours crash? The only way to tell if it's overclocked or not is benchmarking.

Jakfish a few things to try:
Check /proc/bus/input/devices and verify there are no mentions of Elantech, or Synaptics in that file.
Make sure you are testing without a save file
Check and see if you have the same problem in Xvesa

On a 900, the old kernel should still work work with the newer Puppeee sfs files.

jakfish

#935 Post by jakfish »

Jemimah,

In /proc/bus/input/devices , I found this:

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=000e Version=0000
N: Name="ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input6
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse0 event6
B: EV=f
B: KEY=6420 0 70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=3
B: ABS=f0003

Do I simply delete this section or replace it with something else? Perhaps the /proc/bus/input/devices file from old kernel?

Best,
Jake

jemimah

#936 Post by jemimah »

No that means either I posted the wrong kernel, or you downloaded the wrong version. I can't test it until I get home in a few hours.

dougeeebear

#937 Post by dougeeebear »

dougeeebear wrote:
jemimah wrote:Here's how you set a minimum font size in Chrome. http://emps.l-c-n.com/notebook/chrome-minimum-font-size
That would probably work ok if Puppeee wasn't lacking in the fonts department.
Any idea where a good set of fonts could be picked up?
jemimah wrote:Dougeeebear, the DejaVu fonts are installed and they look nice to me. I was going to make them the default for the next version.
They look ok to me as well. I was just echoing a statement I believe you made sometime earlier (that I can't find right now).

jemimah

#938 Post by jemimah »

It seems it just picks bad defaults, the problem is not as complicated as I originally thought.

Nevermore

#939 Post by Nevermore »

jemimah wrote: Nevermore, the overclocking works on my 701. I've only ever crashed it that way once. Does yours crash? The only way to tell if it's overclocked or not is benchmarking.
Hello
unfortunately on mine the screen gets garbled when i try to turn on overclock...
I tried many different options with no luck...
--
/sbin/Nevermore

jemimah

#940 Post by jemimah »

There's an older script that uses the asus_eee module for overclocking instead of the eeepc-laptop module. It's might be a little gentler on the CPU. I'll have to go fish it out of an older version of Puppeee and update it. Even with the older script, it may not work, some Eees just can't take it.