Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#941 Post by jemimah »

Jakfish, can you download the no-elantech kernel again? I actually tested it this time. :)
jakfish

#942 Post by jakfish »

Hi, jemimah,

This one works--blazingly fast, too. Power-on to working desktop at stock speed in 35 seconds. Would be even faster at 900mhz. Many thanks.

One question: I'm not getting wifi and I know that's because I'm using an already-built pupsave file along with earlier 431.sfs of yours. Am I out of luck on this (meaning that I have to reinstall everything) or should I be modprobing a wifi kernel that I don't know about (I think I was using ath5k, which of course is not in this kernel)?

In network wizard, I get no wifi module choice at all (but I seem to remember that network wizard is defunct in newer puppeee versions). I also haven't installed pwireless2 which may compound the problem.

Jake
jemimah

#943 Post by jemimah »

Jakfish, you also need the ze431315.sfs to get working kernel modules. You'll probably need to rename it to zp431315.sfs to get it to be recognized by an old version.

I think I will have save file upgrade working in the next version, so you might want to hold on for a week or so.
jakfish

#944 Post by jakfish »

Yup, that solves it. I still have some wifi toggling problems and I'm sure that's b/c I've got Tempestuous' acpid/wifi pets still installed.

What I think I'll do is sit tight until your pupsave upgrade release, then uninstall his pets and work from scratch on a new wifi setup.

Jake
jemimah

#945 Post by jemimah »

I would suggest that you at least test this version from a usb stick so you know what it's supposed to be like before you try to port your save file over.
Coolsun9

#946 Post by Coolsun9 »

jemimah wrote:Nooby, let me test it first; then I'll let you know what to try.

Coolsun9, I turned off the Jwm borders in Chrome to give you more space. If it's working poorly. Go to Options->Personal Stuff and select 'Use system title bar and borders'. Then restart Chrome and it should work as normal.

Neurino mentioned that he had to manually run 'modprobe option' to load driver to get his Huawei modem to work. You can use the Bootmanager to put "option" on the "add list" so it loads automatically on boot. Give it a try and see if there's an improvement.
Hi jemimah,

I have tried the run that Neurino had suggested. It does not work. I noticed that this version could not detect the Huawei modem as a CD drive which it does on the previous version.

Any suggestion. Here is a snapshot from the console.
Attachments
captured console.jpg
(54.08 KiB) Downloaded 1301 times
John Lewis

#947 Post by John Lewis »

Hi jemimah,

Just got a chance to try the new beta3 on my eee 701SD.

Clicking eee-control in menu appears to do nothing. I went looking there because the battery seemed to be going down pretty quickly and I didn't get the low power pop up that was in previous version.

Shutting down wireless froze the keyboard which was a problem I had in the earlier ones too. Suspend seemed to work ok though.

Will check out other areas in due course.

John Lewis
smokey01

#948 Post by smokey01 »

Coolsun9 wrote:
Hi jemimah,

I have tried the run that Neurino had suggested. It does not work. I noticed that this version could not detect the Huawei modem as a CD drive which it does on the previous version.
Coolsun9 try this:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 941#380941

Smokey
jemimah

#949 Post by jemimah »

John Lewis, Thanks for testing. I was unsure until a couple days ago whether the 701SD still had a problem with wireless toggle. I now see that an Ubuntu bug is reported about it as well. So I'll add a work around in the next version. I suspect this will be fixed in the next kernel. Barry is waiting for 2.6.33 and I think I will do the same as 2.6.32 seems to have some issues with the eeepc-laptop module. Can you try running eee-control from the command line, and see what the error is?

CoolSun9, did it actually work in the last version? and now it's broken? Does it work on standard Puppy? Is it possible that the usb-modeswitch update that Neurino suggested broke some modems and fixed some? I was reading on the other thread that the new version of usb_modeswitch is better. Maybe I'll do some investigating.
neurino

#950 Post by neurino »

Coolsun9 wrote: I have tried the run that Neurino had suggested. It does not work. I noticed that this version could not detect the Huawei modem as a CD drive which it does on the previous version.

Any suggestion. Here is a snapshot from the console.
Sorry, I've been away for a while

I finally managed how to make the dongle work always

The trick is to connect the dongle and run usb_modeswitch just after, but not "right after" otherwise it will not be found but before if gets the wifi net (i.e. the led on my dongle turns from green to blue)

If you do this way usb_modeswitch perfectly works, if you do it "too late" it hangs like you quoted.
modprobe option is not required since beta3_3

Hope this helps, you'll need a coulpe of tries to get used to it, but it's quite easy.

But please note: I'm using beta3_3 and havent tried on new betas but on my 901 it's the only way to make it work
luther349

#951 Post by luther349 »

wow your really getting a big list of newer models running. you still using the pentum m kernel or did you switch to array.
friednoodle

Making movies

#952 Post by friednoodle »

EDIT- TWO DAYS LATER- PLEASE READ JEREMIAH'S NEXT POSTING-THE
INFORMATION BELOW IS CORRECT, BUT THE TIP FROM TECHNOSAURUS
IS A MUCH BETTER WAY TO MAKE MOVIES WITH PUPPEEE. I POSTED
THE INFO BELOW BEFORE I KNEW THAT PUPPEEE HAD IT'S OWN FFMPEG

For people wanting to make movies with Puppeee 431 the ffmpeg pet from the Puppy 3 repositories seems to work very well. The ffmpeg pet from Puppy 4 does not work. Before you can use ffmpeg you need to add (note, it's a lower case L not the number one)

Load "v4l"

in the modules section of /etc/xorg.conf and be sure to set the capture settings in the alsa sound mixer quite high. You need to select the capture mode in the alsa sound mixer as mentioned by Jeremiah earlier.
Then run the following in a rxvt console.

ffmpeg -vd /dev/video -ad /dev/dsp -r 10 -s 352x288 video_test.avi

The -r 10 is frame rate, default is 25 if you leave it out. Change the
.avi to .mpeg if you want mpegs instead. The command below makes 15 second mpeg movies as another simple example. Be careful, video eats memory.

ffmpeg -vd /dev/video -ad /dev/dsp -r 10 -s 352x288 -t 15 video_test.mpeg

I discovered the ffmpeg oddity on the forum here.

Jeremiah, you have done a truly wonderful job on this. I was running
ratpoison (the window manager) on Puppy 4.2 before on my 900, your
Puppeee does a brilliant job of bringing many good ideas into
one system. Can't thank you enough. You would have to write the thing in machine code to make it any any more elegant.
Last edited by friednoodle on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
vodor48

#953 Post by vodor48 »

Hi! /sorry my english not too good/
I'm vodor48 from Hungarian Puppy Linux Community.
I try install the latest beta version to eee701 2g.
Prepare the USB stick with the Bootflash, and copy the six file to the stick.
/This method made under NOP 4.31 on other laptop/
Then try boot the eee701, I receive this message always:
"This is not bootable disk"
Checked with GParted and all flag with bootable.
Three usb stick i tried, from this two deceased /this two Kingston datatraveller 2g and 4g. I formatted with Gparted and die:)))/
Questions:
- I did something wrong?
- Let me put the files possibly into a library and prepare an iso file?

Thanks
vodor48
jemimah

#954 Post by jemimah »

Luther349, as far as I know, there aren't any more Array kernels after 2.6.28. So I am slowly evolving my own Pentium M config as people request things. I'm getting really tempted to build one with support for more netbooks, but I'm afraid I won't be able to handle all the feedback by myself. Supporting the Eee alone seems like a full time job sometimes. The very newest Eees still aren't supported, but so far I don't have anyone with the new models volunteering to test so we'll play it by ear as we go along.

Friednoodle, wow you really know how to write a nice complement! I'm extremely flattered, thank you. Here's a tip I got from Technosaurus that works on the Ffmpeg that's already in Puppeee.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -y -f oss -i /dev/audio -f video4linux2 -s qvga -i /dev/video0 ~/a.avi
I have been meaning to make a gui frontend for this, but haven't gotten that far yet.

Vodor48, sometimes my usb sticks get messed up and I get that error too. When it happens, I just reformat the stick with Bootflash and try again. I don't use Gparted at all. Just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread and it should work.

---

I've been searching for a replacement for Fullerscreen Slideshow since it depended on Seamonkey and it wasn't all that great in the first place. Here's what I found. http://code.100allora.it/pdfcube/. Since we have OpenGL in Puppeee now, we can have this really slick Pdf-based presentation program that's both lightweight and looks awesome. I'm working on the GUI for it right now.

Also Disciple just posted a pet for TangoGps, a really light frontend to the OpenStreetMap project, which I plan to include in 3.5.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/. If you have a Gps receiver you could turn your Eee into a Gps navigator, but even without one, the map browser is really nice.
vodor48

#955 Post by vodor48 »

jemimah wrote:
Vodor48, sometimes my usb sticks get messed up and I get that error too. When it happens, I just reformat the stick with Bootflash and try again. I don't use Gparted at all. Just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread and it should work.
Hi!
Thanks, for reply.
Ok, try this way and once maybe success.

vodor48
John Lewis

#956 Post by John Lewis »

jemimah wrote: Can you try running eee-control from the command line, and see what the error is?
Ok jemimah, I ran the eee-control in rxvt.
Lot of stuff scrolled past until
++gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG --center

** ERROR ** gtkdialog: Error in line 38, near token '</default>' : syntax error

aborting...
/usr/ local/bin/eee-control: line 366: 7255 Aborted gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG --center

John Lewis
Nevermore

#957 Post by Nevermore »

Fast summary of this weekend:

I tested in depth the overclock of eee-control, unfortunately my eeepc crashes when i try to overclock it.

I did try to overclock it via a sh file, echoing in the fsb file, it didnt crash but i am unsure that it worked at all.

geekbench didnt show any improvement with 900mhz fsb and 630 one.

Xlock doesnt want to work if called via gui, works if called via terminal.

question: do u know if is possible to change the frequency of saving when using the xor system? It saves every 15 mins but most of the time my eee stays up all night long doing nothing, i'd like to double the interval.

I have been unable to crash it, works always and pretty good, just glxgears shows a very poor framerate, and i am not sure if it depends on not accelerated desktop or some other issues. youtube is jerky, pity, but its just a 630mhz what can i expect...
--
/sbin/Nevermore
jemimah

#958 Post by jemimah »

John Lewis, can you run 'find /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/' from the command line and post the results? There's something different about the 701SD but I can't figure out what.

Nevermore, to change the save interval, go to System->Puppy Event Manager. Can you try deleting /root/.xlockrc and see if Xlock will start? What framerate do you get in Glxgears? Are you using Xorg or Xvesa? I get about 60FPS on my 701.
jemimah

#959 Post by jemimah »

A recent bugfix to Webkit and some amazing work by Technosaurus has made the Midori browser an option for Puppeee. It has the same backend, and the same speed and minimal interface as Chrome, but at about 25% the size - smaller than Seamonkey even. When I can get the kinks worked out, I be switching Puppeee over from Chrome to Midori.

I will make Chrome available as a pet.

I would expect that Chrome will also benefit from this Webkit fix by getting a lot smaller, but I'm not sure how long it will take Google to move to the new version.
jemimah

#960 Post by jemimah »

So I actually tried Midori out for an extended time period now, and I have to admit it's a touch on the unstable side and the UI is not quite as convenient as Chrome.

So what do you all think? Would you prefer a smaller SFS with a browser that you will almost certainly want to replace? Or should I keep Chrome? I know many people download another browser anyway, and Midori is definitely good enough for that. The Midori SFS is 82MB compared with the 95MB Chrome one.