Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
01micko

#1101 Post by 01micko »

Ok,

I'm getting almost identical behaviour to mfalls'.

All was good, rebooted (into other os first and did an e2fsck on the save file, there was a bunch odf errors on screen during shutdown, which I had to exit from X to perform, probably due to errors, might even put "pfix=fsck" on my kernel line while testing, with all these crashes :lol: ) and then booted into puppeee, it connected fine, then I hit Fn-F2 and it crashed... but (and I did see this once before) the yaf-splash says its "Bringing Up wlan0".. :? :? :? . Before I hit Fn-F2 I checked 'cat /etc/acpi/wifi-driver'... all good, still rtl8187se. This is getting weird!!!

EDIT: jemimah... is it worth pursing this stupid bug? It's not your fault, it is the kernel. K 2.6.33 is out soon and hopefully that bug will be fixed. I dare say if it is in Ubuntu it will be given some sort of priority. This crap is wasting too much of your time.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Nevermore

#1102 Post by Nevermore »

i started to have problems with chrome...
sometime i am connected but chrome doesnt reach any page. I have to disconnect then reconnect, and it starts working.
Other time, its just painfully slow..
I dont know what is going on with chrome but all the rest apps work perfectly
--
/sbin/Nevermore

jemimah

#1103 Post by jemimah »

tinker wrote: I made the change to syslinux.cfg, adding "pmedia=usbflash" and that didn't help. I chose to reboot and it did not offer to save my settings. This was on a 1GB usb stick. It did notice other puppeee save files on an SD card, but I had chosen "0", which I thought ignored them like pfix=ram. It did run through all the usual first-time setup questions, about keyboard, locale, XORG etc.
Even the presence of other unused puppy files can confuse it under certain circumstances. If you search for 'session not saved' in google, Barry discusses it briefly on his blog. I would try adding 'pdev1=sdb1' and see what happens (make sure your boot usb is the only usb drive plugged in for this to work).

jemimah

#1104 Post by jemimah »

nooby wrote:I guess others have already suggested this. change Iron for Chrome.
chrome send info back to Google while Iron is same chrome without telling google everything.
I did see a post about Iron on the forum the other day. I'm definitely creeped out by how much information google has access to. Hopefully soon I'll get a chance to test Iron and make sure it's not less stable than Chrome.

jemimah

#1105 Post by jemimah »

01micko wrote: EDIT: jemimah... is it worth pursing this stupid bug? It's not your fault, it is the kernel. K 2.6.33 is out soon and hopefully that bug will be fixed. I dare say if it is in Ubuntu it will be given some sort of priority. This crap is wasting too much of your time.
Heh, I'm not even trying to fix the bug. The work around was supposed to be simple. :? At this point, it's just a matter of geek pride. :)

jemimah

#1106 Post by jemimah »

Nevermore wrote:i started to have problems with chrome...
sometime i am connected but chrome doesnt reach any page. I have to disconnect then reconnect, and it starts working.
Other time, its just painfully slow..
I dont know what is going on with chrome but all the rest apps work perfectly
The disconnects are probably a Pwireless2 problem. I'm still finding a few bugs with the latest version. Slowness, though, I don't think Pwireless2 would cause that. You could try installing another browser to see if Chrome is the problem, or networking in general.

jemimah

#1107 Post by jemimah »

I've shrunk the size of a few of Puppy's gtkdialog applications to better fit a 7inch screen. Please download and test.

The following apps have been shrunken or resized.
Pupdial
Xorg Wizard
BootFlash
Pdict
Connect Wizard
Boot Manager
Global Font Size
DotPup
Puppy Package Manager
PRename
Time Server Synchronizer

Did I miss anything crucial?
Attachments
small-screen-fix-pack-1.0.pet
(50.42 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

John Lewis

#1108 Post by John Lewis »

Hello jemimah,
Had another look this time with the 3.5 version.
I ran acpiconfig and then checked the value in wifi-driver. It was still r8180. I manually edited it, installed your updated version of wlan.sh and tried again.

lsmod shows rtl8187se present. So I tried fn f2.The blue light went out and message came up "bringing up wlan0 even though it was up. Then it locked up. Last night it did work when I tried. It did not lock up but the light didn't go out either. Time to do hard reset and try again.

Tried unchecking box in eee-control. That worked with no lock up but light still on. Lsmod shows the wireless module gone. rechecking box caused mesage that wifi was shutting down (rather than up as would be expected. No sign of module.
Tried fn f2 got a shutting down message again but no lockup. Light still on. Fn f2 again. Message shows coming up. No lock up and wireless works. Lsmod shows rtl module back. Tried it several more times and it continues to function but light remains on.

The crucial step for me seems to be unchecking and re checking WiFi in the eee-control before using Fn F2 the first time.

My results seem similar to micko's

My understanding is that when the light is off the wireless card is not drawing power. Somewhere must be an extra step to connect and disconnect power.

Incidently I lsmodded the original eee701sd Linux operating system and found that it uses the r8180 module.

Keep up the good work. Much appreciated.

John Lewis

John Lewis

#1109 Post by John Lewis »

micko.
A quick question. Does your eee701SD allow scrolling with the synaptic pad? Mine has never worked so wonder if available.

John Lewis

John Lewis

#1110 Post by John Lewis »

Hi Jemimah,
Had a look at the shrunken package kit. Seems to work except in the package manager. It fits the screen but the bottom section where you remove packages will still only let you get at one or two. No scroll button and I can't drag it deeper.

The problem exists in p 4.3.1 also when run in the 701.

Attached screen shot of the area in question.

John Lewis
Attachments
package-manager.jpg
(55.22 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

01micko

#1111 Post by 01micko »

Hi John Lewis

The only way I can manage to scroll is two quick taps on the scroll bar, holding the second tap, takes some getting used to.. I forget if it worked in Xandros, never liked it.. even after I got rid of the "easy" gui.

jemimah

FYI... in "/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc" you need to add the folowing code so Retrovol doesn't show up in the task bar

Code: Select all

<Group>
		<Class>retrovol</Class>
		<Name>retrovol</Name>
		<Option>nolist</Option>
	</Group>
Also, is there a reason you start retrovol from a startup script and not .xinitrc? Curious.

I fully understand your geek pride! While you keep trying to fix the "workaround" for the 701SD I'll keep testing, and offer what I can

Cheers

01micko

#1112 Post by 01micko »

Hi jemimah

The 2 most important apps to me, pupdial and PPM are not good. I don't know what changes you made but they are not apparent. I haven't peeked inside the .pet yet, may do so. Of course they work, but I still need to drag them around.

I'll try and help here, I'm learning quite a few ins and outs of gtk-dialog so maybe I can be useful. :lol: (or not :lol: )

jemimah

#1113 Post by jemimah »

01micko wrote: The 2 most important apps to me, pupdial and PPM are not good.
Hmmm. John's screenshot shows the old version... maybe there is a problem with the pet - though it worked for me. Weird, I'll check it again.

jemimah

#1114 Post by jemimah »

01micko wrote:
FYI... in "/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc" you need to add the folowing code so Retrovol doesn't show up in the task bar

Code: Select all

<Group>
		<Class>retrovol</Class>
		<Name>retrovol</Name>
		<Option>nolist</Option>
	</Group>
Also, is there a reason you start retrovol from a startup script and not .xinitrc? Curious.
Good point about retrovol, though it never really bothered me. I will add that fix to then next version. I prefer /root/Startup, because as a user, I think it's irritating to have to hunt all over the place to find the startup programs. It's nicer to keep everything in one place as much as possible. .Xinitrc is hidden, and most new users don't know about it, and would be afraid to mess with it (for good reason!).

jemimah

#1115 Post by jemimah »

This is what the new version of Pupdial and Puppy Package Manager are supposed to look like. I just tested and the pet worked for me. I'm posting it again in case the first one got corrupt.
Attachments
small-screen-fix-pack-1.0.pet
(50.42 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
pupdial.jpg
(38.62 KiB) Downloaded 842 times
ppm.jpg
(41.92 KiB) Downloaded 826 times

mfalls

#1116 Post by mfalls »

jemimah wrote:I've shrunk the size of a few of Puppy's gtkdialog applications to better fit a 7inch screen. Please download and test.

The following apps have been shrunken or resized.
Pupdial
Xorg Wizard
BootFlash
Pdict
Connect Wizard
Boot Manager
Global Font Size
DotPup
Puppy Package Manager
PRename
Time Server Synchronizer

Did I miss anything crucial?
All apps fit the screen except Puppy Package Manager on my 701SD, the screen's last line was "installed packages", not as far down as John Lewis's.

Yes, verified ppm run from terminal fits on screen.
Last edited by mfalls on Wed 17 Feb 2010, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#1117 Post by jemimah »

Hah, It looks like Puppy has 2 package managers. :shock:

Run 'ppm' from the terminal to see the one I modified. I will fix it so the other version is also small.

Edit:nope, there was only one - I stepped on a symlink and created 2.

BJF

Oversize screens (continued)

#1118 Post by BJF »

With Beta 3.5 on an SD plugged into my 701 4G, Chrome persists in putting the lateral scroll bar (does it actually have a name?) just off the bottom of the screen. I need to Alt-Left Mouse-Pad the bar at the top just off-screen to get at it, then back down to close a page. Infuriating! Jemimah, could you please wave your wagic mand over Chrome too? Ta.

tinker

#1119 Post by tinker »

I just noticed that when I try to download the single file for BoxPuppeee from the drop.io.puppeee site, the page says eee-435.sfs, the tooltip says eee-435.sfs, but when I actually click on the link, I get eee-431-sfs.

Is this correct?

jemimah

#1120 Post by jemimah »

BJF, does it work if you maximize it? That fixes it for me. Autohiding the panel might also be helpful. The options pane is way too big though - not a lot I can do about that. I tried building Chome from source yesterday and it was not pretty.

Tinker, it needs to be named eee-435.sfs. I guess I'll have to delete that one from drop.io and upload a new one with the correct name.