Puppy Stardust 010

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nooby

#61 Post by nooby »

I do start clean by using puppy pfix=ram that way it does not load any pupsave file and I always name them stardust008, 009 010 to not mix them.

I don't trust that the program find files in the wrong subdirectory so that seems unlikely the error.

I think more about nvidia or something.
It did happen in choicepup too. a puppybrowser did not load unless he has forgot to delete a dead link.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

technosaurus

#62 Post by technosaurus »

Re: clean system
I think this behavior is caused by the install scripts, because some images/files are not included in the sfs the scripts assume they are not on the file system... but if they are in your pupsave file they are in the file system. It probably just requires a check [ -f /some/file ] prior to doing those steps... also adding -f to the cp commands (force overwrite) may help to get it started from the right point. I didn't look at that part closely last time I had a look at the script.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

nooby

#63 Post by nooby »

I used search/pfind and that one did find many directory entry with firewall in them. I did not know which one to start up. I tried one but that one freezed the pfind and did not install a firewall.

what name that pfind find am I supposed to run to get it going?

I know that everybody says that iptables are built in and can not be deleted but it can most likely allow everything if one have no way to checking what it is set to do from scratch?

zigbert

#64 Post by zigbert »

nooby
try /usr/sbin/firewall_install.sh

zigbert

#65 Post by zigbert »

DC wrote:feature request - a reboot function button for the utility tray.
got it

nooby

#66 Post by nooby »

zigbert Thanks indeed for that help!

that made it working instantly and it promised to be there every time at boot up. I took the Automagic but being newbie did not understand what it said about behavior.

Is this like the basic Ms Windows XP/Vista that it stop outside from coming in but if they are in they have all ports open out?

nooby

#67 Post by nooby »

May I ask something odd that I as a newbie get surprised over.

Stardust boots very fast and just works so I am very satisfied with it.

Apart from one very annoying thing.

Right when it is booted. When everything looks ok and working then it get totally crazy and search for something on the frugally mounted NTFS 250GB internal hard disk and go for a more than 60 second total search through everything. this way the HDD will soon break down in small parts. :)

what is it searching? is this some kind of pfind cataloging of directories to build a directory tree of mounted media or what is it for.

Can I shut it off with some cheat code at boot? I fear the computer will break down everytime I boot up.

what is the purpose of this odd behavior?

apart from that I just love your puppy.

hendrikus

Browser

#68 Post by hendrikus »

Stardust is still the most stable linux for me, it would be great when the browser could be updated to a version with better support for applications as Facebook, Gmail, Yahoo and some other sites I use a SaaS applications. Would be nice when we are able install plus-in's. The speed is fantastic, the best I ever had on my system....

I tried to upgrade or install Seamonkey 2 --- doest start, even I cant use the installed version anymore

Installed Opera 10 --- doesn't work even

Tried Google chrome --- also didn't startup, couldn't even find a menu entry.

An other important application; OpenOffice worked out of the box using the puppy 3 pet. Thanks for that.

Regards
Hendrikus

01micko

#69 Post by 01micko »

hendrikus

This version of Seamonkey 2 works fine on all versions of Stardust every time. I install it as soon as I run Stardust. It is compiled for 4.3.1 which Stardust is based on and needs no dependencies.

These of Firefox work on Stardust but you need the dbus dependencies available here. I have tried 3.5 and 3.6 in Stardust.

I haven't tried Opera or Chrome in Stardust but if you get .pet versions compiled on 431 they should work.

HTH

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

hendrikus

#70 Post by hendrikus »

01micko wrote:
This version of Seamonkey 2 works fine on all versions of Stardust every time. I install it as soon as I run Stardust. It is compiled for 4.3.1 which Stardust is based on and needs no dependencies.
Thanks a lot, I will try it out today.... one good working browser is in my opinion enough, whatever it may be. -------- WORKS !!!! a huge advance for Puppy.... browsing is important these days haha --------

Why nobody update the puppy4 package manager? It would be great when we could choose the tested packages from there......

Regards
Hendrikus

DC

#71 Post by DC »

@hendrikus

If you want to try Opera again try 10.5 it is a alpha but very fast
(only for playing / testing not for normal use)
this version does not need any Qt lib's

http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-6225/

download opera-10.50-6225.i386.linux.tar.gz
unarchive it to /root

then this little script ( thanks to who's this script was originally )

operastart.sh
#!/bin/sh
cd /root/opera-10.50-6225.i386.linux/
exec /root/opera-10.50-6225.i386.linux/opera -notrayicon

and drag to your desktop for ease of use

DC

carl

#72 Post by carl »

Zigbert,
Just tried Stardust 10 for the first time and amazed at the look & feel & the ease of use. I am running with puppy pfix=ram, tried out the lameSMBxplorer and it quickly found all the shares on my home network. I also have NFS servers and I tried the lameNFSxplorer but unfortunately that did not work. I tried starting from within the rxvt terminal and received the message "Dependency: RPCinfo unavailable". Do I need to start a service for this to work? Any advice welcome.
Carl

`f00

#73 Post by `f00 »

first look (pfix=ram,nosave) - black geany has to go (sry). new 'global' ptheme may leave gtk setting unstable (that or requiring a widget theme definition when widgets are toggled off), whatever it is results in desired gtk theme in some apps and 'default' gtk in rox and others. Menu button may not change with icon-theme. Load speed improvement is noticeable.

___s7-s10 discswitch upgrade___

Only very minor fixes (all user settings retained quite well, almost a shock compared to other discswitch upgrades that insist on a return to oem defaults .. then again, stardust is an advanced ui). No idea what to do with ptheme since I don't use widgets, couldn't care less about a monocolor look and gtk is entirely correct without changing anything, even to the bg in rox child-windows :shock: (maybe after a save or two..). Possibly a few services could be trimmed (entirely a personal pref, that).

(ramfull, a slight reprise) .. I will beat this, somehow. Very likely too much for a liveCD multi to boot normally as I have it (skipping ahead, remaster is about 180mb in last viable form), so making prep for a boot-onlyCD and the (seems inevitable) outrigger savefile on USBstick. Did a couple tries at remaster of s10, but the first seemed awfully light ... yup, light is non-viable .. a few more tries .. form and function, wants and desires (words and terms as well); the power blinked on the last burn, always fun when that happens (just enough to .. a mere moment). Good thing 412 is so reliable, but odd going back to the 'old' drivenames :) pup-classic, even to burnverify giving me a nice traditional pinkslip. maybe this time (heft is about right for content).

She BOOTS :D (minor bit of 'regular' jwm freememapplet not showing and an odd read from freememapplet-tray which seems almost impossible as it's darn near the same as what RAM I got :lol: so dunno unless it's different for the setup - that was a unique anomaly, subsequent boots showed more 'normal' freememapp numbers). Not quite sure whether it finally did get to saving on reboots (very likely I fell asleep trying to recall just exactly what's needed for success since the re/coldboots didn't load the savefile at first .. then I went back to another remaster of 431 that worked for a refresher course when I woke up). I'll probably return to it after awhile since it did seem promising.

Opera 10a (an earlier non-static build) and an older qt-based file manager (qtcmdr) work nicely for me besides all the wm-candy junk and stuff. Wine usw

DC

#74 Post by DC »

@carl

following taken from

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45090

And the client;

# make a dir on client
/mnt/dc_server

# extract to /
nfs_common.tar.gz

# edit
/etc/host.allow
# adding (dont forget comma spaced and a carriage return)
ALL: 192.60.26.9 , 192.60.26.10

# add these to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
modprobe nfs
/etc/rc.d/rc.portmap start

# to check if nfs is running
rpcinfo -p localhost

# script in (this allows time for ip address to come up before mounting)
/root/startup/DCmount_nfs.sh
## poll interface eth0
while [ -z "`ifconfig | grep 'eth0'`" ]
do http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45090
sleep 3
done

mount-FULL -t nfs 192.60.26.10:/root /mnt/dc_server

The start script might have to started by hand not in the startup folder

DC

Squishy

#75 Post by Squishy »

I'm having some major trouble getting Stardust 010 onto a disc. I just wondered if anyone else has had any issues. I've tried burning the disc to Memorex CD-RW discs (3, in fact). I've used pburn and ImgBurn (on Puppy 431 and Windows XP, respectively) , both of which throw out discs which don't seem to work. md5sum checks out on the iso files on the last disc (the first 2 got corrupted somewhere), which got the farthest in the boot process - it got as far as the usual Puppy boot screen (where you input boot options), except that the screen was distorted, unreadable and seemed to hang.

Its certainly not a boot issue - I tried each disc on both computers and they both showed the exact same progress. Other bootable discs (Mint, Puppy 431, AntiX, Ubuntu, Xubuntu and NOP431) all work flawlessly on both PC's. I have a feeling it may be the CD-RW disc I'm using - I've had issues with memorex before BUT; there is a chance, though, however small, that something is wrong with the iso image.... (downloaded today at around 4pm GMT time)

EDIT: OK further testing shows its the discs, and not the iso. I seem to have had the incredible bad luck of getting a pack with not 1 but 4 faulty discs. Steer clear of Memorex if you value your sanity,

Squishy

#76 Post by Squishy »

Phew, finally got it burnt successfully and running! Zigbert, congrats on a beautiful Puplet - looks good, works well and is very solid. I adore the control panel you've built. Muchos respect!

zigbert

#77 Post by zigbert »

nooby wrote:Right when it is booted. When everything looks ok and working then it get totally crazy and search for something on the frugally mounted NTFS 250GB internal hard disk and go for a more than 60 second total search through everything. this way the HDD will soon break down in small parts. :)

what is it searching? is this some kind of pfind cataloging of directories to build a directory tree of mounted media or what is it for.

Can I shut it off with some cheat code at boot? I fear the computer will break down everytime I boot up.

what is the purpose of this odd behavior?
The indexing of your filesystem can be turned off in pcc (puppy control center). - See boot tab. This feature should maybe be turned off by default. Barry would have nailed me, if he noticed this. :lol: This is the first comment of the indexing .......... any others?

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: Browser

#78 Post by zigbert »

hendrikus wrote:Stardust is still the most stable linux for me, it would be great when the browser could be updated to a version with better support for applications as Facebook, Gmail, Yahoo and some other sites I use a SaaS applications.
Right now I think we should leave the heavy upgrades for Puppy 4.4. Tecnosaurus is doing a great job with compiling/testing newer libs and apps.

Sigmund

zigbert

#79 Post by zigbert »

carl wrote:I also have NFS servers and I tried the lameNFSxplorer but unfortunately that did not work.
Please point your issues to patriot in his lameNFSxplorer thread.

Sigmund

nooby

#80 Post by nooby »

zigbert, thanks, yes it sounded like when Windows did their indexing so it took me with surprize.

Now what could I do about the failure to mount an USB flash memory.

Could it be that my HP list them as Scsi while the HDD is listed as Sata.

I have a HP SR5622SC a cheap computer with AMD processor 64bit I guess.