Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
prehistoric

chrome download fix worked

#1161 Post by prehistoric »

My off-site tester with the 900A reports the fix you suggested for files downloaded with chrome does the trick without the work around I had suggested.

Meanwhile, I've rebuilt my development machine, after tracing file corruption to an over-heated drive. I believe I've rebuilt software back to where I was two days ago. In the computer world, the red queen was right, you need to do all the running you can to stay in one place.

The drive which overheated works fine in an external SATA dock. With yet another 750 GB external back-up drive in my collection, I'll never have timcriger's problem. I think I have versions back to Puppy 1.08.

Now, how to catch up with testing Jemimah's output...

p.s. tim, you've only disposed of one symptom. I still have my doubts about that picture. It suggests you'll fit right in here.
puppymiep

#1162 Post by puppymiep »

01micko wrote:Hi

I tried 3 modems in BoxPuppeee with different carriers, a Huawei E169 on VirginBroadband (which I've had over a year), a Huawei E160 on Dodo and a Huawei E160X on VirginBroadband all connected with no fuss :) , I'm just wondering if the Option driver is working correctly with neurino's E1550 or there is something different in Puppeee to BoxPuppeee.

Cheers
Hi Micko, I'm trying to connect with Huawei E160 on Dodo Australia on a Asus eee 2G Surf. I haven't full installed Pupeee yet, I want to make sure it all works properly first. But I'm eager to, I love puppy and want it to work.

When I use the GPRS Connect option in the Network menu, it connects, but then when I open a web browser it doesn't load pages.

If anyone else knows what to do, you can pm me or answer here.

I'm pretty desparate to get this working as with XP it doesn't even have the memory to surf the web... ffs :roll:

Emmie
jemimah

#1163 Post by jemimah »

Take a look at /etc/resolv.conf after you've connected. If it's empty, it means dns is not being configured correctly.

I don't know much about GPRS. Hopefully someone here knows and can shed some light.
hokal

#1164 Post by hokal »

jemimah,

thanks for your offer thinking about firefox or other web-pet. :D

If you're interested, I found the thunderbird linking problem. It was indeed the default browser problem:

\usr\local\bin\defaultbrowser : open with editor and change 'chrome' to: "exec 'your browser' "$@" That's it. -greetings from Germany.
Snail

Pupeee and Bios upgrade

#1165 Post by Snail »

Hi,

I have a 701 still running the original BIOS. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to a later BIOS to get the best out of Puppeee 4.3.1?
jemimah

#1166 Post by jemimah »

As far as BIOS upgrades go, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Asus doesn't offer an easy way to load old BIOSes, so if you download a newer one and it sucks, you're stuck. (Hint to 1005HA owners, you probably want to stop at BIOS 905).

However, if you're having trouble booting or suspending, sometimes a BIOS update will fix it. So check the Asus website and see what the updates are supposed to fix (not that the short little blurb they post is very helpful :? )
jemimah

#1167 Post by jemimah »

Here is a potential fix for the Chrome printing problem. Uncompress the attached pdftops and put it in /usr/lib/cups/filters, replacing the existing file of the same name.

It's quite slow to print, but it seems to work. Let me know if this breaks printing for other applications.
Attachments
pdftops.gz
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
neurino

#1168 Post by neurino »

puppymiep wrote: When I use the GPRS Connect option in the Network menu, it connects, but then when I open a web browser it doesn't load pages.
Why using gprs connect?

I assume you have no switching troubles, otherwise connect the dongle, wait a couple of its led blinks than call usb_modeswitch (you must configure it properly first)

Then open Network > PupDial > Probe > Probe
your modem should be found on ttyUSB0
(not sure this step is necessary)

Then GnomePPP: set Settings & Connect

I assume this is valid also for GPRS only connections as I had my dongle to get GPRS network only and I could (slowly) surf anyway.
jemimah

#1169 Post by jemimah »

Is the GPRS connector completely redundant? Should I remove it to avoid confusion?
nooby

#1170 Post by nooby »

Installing the DevX

This is a complete development environment for puppeee. Place in the same directory as the other sfs files and use the boot manager to load it.
Title:
eee_devx_435.sfs
May I kindly ask what am I supposed to put in menu.lst for the

eee_devx_435.sfs to boot and

what to put for the ze435315.sfs to boot if that is not supposed to be done by the initrd?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
jemimah

#1171 Post by jemimah »

You don't need to modify the boot loader. Just put the sfs file there, and start Boot Manager from the menu, and it should see it. The zdrv will load automatically - you don't need to mess with that either.
nooby

#1172 Post by nooby »

ok I test it.

does it still only work on Netbooks with Atom with two cpu?

My computer has a AMD something 64 bit? I guess. Not so good at finding out what I ahve.
jemimah

#1173 Post by jemimah »

Yep, it really only works on the EeePc, and a couple of Acer Aspire Ones,
nooby

#1174 Post by nooby »

Yes I know you told me before but I am very naive and optimistic.
I guess the eee there will inform people to not expect it to work on something else.

Oh my!
puppymiep

#1175 Post by puppymiep »

neurino wrote:
Why using gprs connect?

I assume you have no switching troubles
I used gprs connect because puppy kept telling me to. I don't know how to know if I have switching troubles. The rest of your advice escapes me completely. I'm a newbie to linux.

I already did the probe and it worked, then i used connect.

What is Gnome PPP?

Sorry its all really confusing. I also want to be able to use the stick at the speed its supposed to... not slower.
nooby

#1176 Post by nooby »

gprs is for mobile cell phones as far as I know.
neurino

#1177 Post by neurino »

puppymiep wrote: What is Gnome PPP?

Sorry its all really confusing. I also want to be able to use the stick at the speed its supposed to... not slower.
Ok there's a long debate in this thread about this, if you make a search for posts written by me and about "e1550" you'll learn how, as a newbie, I managed to make my dongle work on puppy (and puppeee) with all the help of other forum members.

If you're using Puppeee then GnomePPP is an application you can find in "start" menu under Network.
It's there for you to connect, probably you know your provider settings such username and password (probably unused so you can set 'em as you like) and the phone number (probably *99# or similar).
This should be enough for you to connect.

About "switching" if you don't have problems finding your modem on ttUSB0 then you don't need it (and you save yourself froma a pain in the neck!)
jemimah

#1178 Post by jemimah »

I've posted Beta 3.6.

Here's what's changed since 3.5:
  • gxmessage wrapper for xmessage to hopefully make puppeee look a little less old skool.
    chrome fixes - printing, mime icons, downloaded file links
    abiword, claws, pidgin, bluetooth-wizard, and bluetooth-sendto upgraded
    Rox right clicks added
    Xfprot patched
    Smaller guis for many puppeee programs to better fit 7inch screens
    Acpi scripts updated
    Dougal's remaster script added
    Xlock patched
    kernel fix for frugal installs on ntfs broken in 3.5
    Initial support for Eee 1201n, nvidia driver and rtl8192se driver added
BJF

Beta 3.6

#1179 Post by BJF »

Jemimah, went and got 3.6 and put the files onto the bootable SD in the usual way, but it won't make a save file and save sessions. Don't think I missed anything. So I updated the 3.5 full install that I'd begun on the 701 so that I can play. Have you any idea where it went awry? I deleted the 3.5 files except for ldlinux.sys and copied the new files over to the SD.

(Edit)Don't panic! A completely clean redo fixed it. Sorry to bother you.
cimh

#1180 Post by cimh »

Excuse me for asking this again but can I upgrade my frugal install by just overwriting some of the files?

I think thats all that was needed before but I can remember which files need to be updated.

cimh