Is Puppy compatible with Adobe Creative Suite? (AdobeCS)

Booting, installing, newbie
LittleSpooky

#1 Post by LittleSpooky »

Too many results came up when I searched for this, so I thought I'd ask the awesome folks here:

I have a friend of mine who's having issues with her computer, and I got talking to her about switching over to Pup Pup and some of the benefits of doing so. She's a Production Artist for the LDS Church Office Building here in Salt Lake City, Utah and they use Adobe as their design proggie (which is why she has it at home as well). I don't know the specifics of her computer, but I'm fairly sure that her hardware is just fine. Her big concern is AdobeCS.

Thanks folks.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

I think Nathan F. ( http://grafpup.com ) runs Adobe Photoshop in Wine.
So it might be worth a try.
Mark

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

CS2 might work with Wine. The installer doesn't work.

If I were to do it, I'd monitor an install on Windows and make a manual install by:

* copying the files over and changing permissions if needed

* updating the wine registry manually

-------------------------------

For more info on what others have tried:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=2631

------------------------------------

CS installer seems to work, back up a level and read about it

-------------------------------------

I think Photoshop 6 might be a good one to use with Puppy if CS fails.

LittleSpooky

#4 Post by LittleSpooky »

Well, she uses everything that comes with the CS product (I don't know what they all are, I can't afford it anyway :lol: )

And in her mind, to set all this up wouldn't be worth the troubles (I'd have to do it, and I don't mind at all), and her hubby would probably just go out and buy a new HD and do a fresh install that way *shrugs*. We'll see how it plays, but thanks for the info, I'll probably wind up using it *grins*

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

I think you made a good decision. She can install and use GIMP with little or problem.

It's just that someone spoiled by Photoshop may not take to GIMP right away. Other than that a person can do a lot with GIMP.

LittleSpooky

#6 Post by LittleSpooky »

Is GIMP compatible with Adobe? Only reason I'm asking is she uses Adobe at work (job supplied product), and if she works on a project at home and they're not compatible... that's X amount of more time spent on the project, possibly knocking it back even further.

If GIMP is compatible, then we're cooking with napalm :)

babbs

#7 Post by babbs »

I have Gimp 2.2.8 loaded on my Fedora install. The native Gimp extension is .xcf. I opened one of my xcf files and opened the "Save As" dialogs to see what formats it could be saved as. Here is the list:

Code: Select all

GIMP XCF image ......................................... .xcf
Alias|Wavefront PIX image .............................. .pix, .matte, .mask, .alpha, .als
AutoDesk FLIC animation ................................ .fli, .flc
bzip archive ........................................... .xcf.bz2, .bz2, .xcvbz2
COLORXHTML ............................................. .colorxhtml
C source code .......................................... .c
C source code header ................................... .h
Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine image ... .dcm, .dicom
Encapsulated PostScript image .......................... .eps
Flexible Image Transport System ........................ .fit, .fits
GIF image .............................................. .gif
GIMP brush ............................................. .gbr
GIMP brush (animated) .................................. .gih
GIMP compressed XJT image .............................. .xjt, .xjtgz, .xjtbz2
GIMP pattern ........................................... .pat
gzip archive ........................................... .xcf.gz, .gz, .xcfgx
HTML table ............................................. .html, .htm
JPEG image ............................................. .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe
KISS CEL ............................................... .cel
Microsoft Windows icon ................................. .ico
MNG animation .......................................... .mng
PGM image .............................................. .pgm
Photoshop image ........................................ .psd
PNG image .............................................. .png
PostScript document .................................... .ps
PPM image .............................................. .ppm
Silicon Graphics IRIS image ............................ .sgi, .rgb, .bw, .icon
SUN Rasterfile image ................................... .im1, .im8, .im24, im32, .rs, .ras
TarGA image ............................................ .tga
TIFF image ............................................. .tif, .tiff
Windows BMP image ...................................... .bmp
X BitMap image ......................................... .xbm, .icon, .bitmap
X PixMap image ......................................... .xpm
X window dump .......................................... .xwd
ZSoft PCX image ........................................ .pcx, .pcc

LittleSpooky

#8 Post by LittleSpooky »

Babbs: Sweet. Now let me see what all comes in Adobe CS ;)

I think Illustrator is the biggest thing. I'll check to see what's what with my friend.

Nathan F

#9 Post by Nathan F »

A few thoughts on the matter-

Gimp is certainly quite compatible in many regards with Photoshop. It has the ability to open, manipulate, and save in .psd format. If running in Windows it is also possible to use many Photoshop plugins (with varying levels of success). The biggest drawback right now is the lack of 16-bit image support. There are certain other deficiencies also but most can be addressed with addon plugins. CMYK support and RAW decoding to name two. Color management is not yet implemented, however it is available in the development branch and will be there in the upcoming 2.4 release. Script-fu performs tasks much like Photoshop actions but is much harder to figure out for the average user, as it involves writing scripts. The interface, which seems clunky at first, is actually a fair site better thaqn Photoshop itself once you learn how to use it. With the exception of the things I mentioned I believe Gimp to be Photoshop's equal in every other way.

Cinepaint steps in where Gimp leaves off by providing 16 and 32 bit image support, but the selection of tools, plugins, and filters is quite sparse in comparison. I use it mainly for high end photographic work and things destined for print. It is also compatible with .psd files.

Scribus compares quite favorably with just about any other DTP programs.

Inkscape is getting better all the time, and if built with the correct options can handle Illustrator files. My current package lacks this feature but I'm looking into enabling it in the next build I produce.

For other things that CS offers I'm not so sure you'll find equivelents. Video editing is not fully developed for Linux yet (at least not in the form of an OpenSource program) but you could try Cinelerra or Kino. I do have Cinelerra running quite well in Puppy/Grafpup but not Kino as of yet. Web editing is also not quite as advanced but NVU is quite good, as well as Bluefish if you don't mind looking at the code itself. One of the biggest things lacking is something to create and/or edit Flash.

As for running CS under Wine it would probably be quite hard to get things working alright. As of Wine-9.6 (the last version I tested) I could install and run Photoshop-7.0.1 fine, but Image ready won't work at all. The good news is that it actually ran slightly faster for me than under Windows, probably comparable to it's performance on a Mac. I did manage to get PhotoshopCS to install but it ran quite buggy, and I'm pretty sure CS2 would be an exercise in futility right now. I don't have access to the full CS suite (and never will) so I couldn't begin to tell you how you would fare. Basically my reccomendation would be to install Photoshop7 in order to get by while learning the native applications.

The Grafpup forum should be going off the temporary server in a coupke days after which time my forum will return. I'd be glad to see you over there.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#10 Post by Nathan F »

She's a Production Artist for the LDS Church Office Building here in Salt Lake City, Utah
Oh and by the way, I've been an LDS member for the last 11 years.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

LittleSpooky

#11 Post by LittleSpooky »

Nathan: Sweet. She does work on the Interior Temple Signs as well as some exterior and other stuffs as well. I'll have to see if I can swipe a couple of .jpgs etc that she's helped design and then PM em to you. I've got GrafPup book-marked, just in case ;)

One never knows when one needs to send an "artsy fartsy" person into the realm of Linux
:lol:

noip

#12 Post by noip »

LS,

Perhaps this will be an unpopular opinion here, but for what you are searching, I'd suggest that a better choice for your purposes would be SUSE or Ubuntu or something similar. Why?

1. Puppy is meant as a light-weight distro, and as such it's support for X and Wine is not as rounded as SUSE or Ubuntu.

2. For your stated purpose, you will need Wine. SUSE and Ubuntu have pre-compiled Wine packages ready for download and installation within hours of the latest version being released (from www.winehq.org ). This allows you to take advantage of the latest bug-fixes and features.

3. Unless your friend likes tinkering, she will not be happy having to learn GIMP when she already knows the Adobe suite. I've seen this too happen too many times not to warn you. When she asked "is it compatable?", my guess is she meant "does it use the same commands I'm used to".

Now, I grant you that Puppy can be made to do what you want, BUT tinkering will be involved, and I just think that for what you want, SUSE will provide a smoother ride. I suggested SUSE over Fedora / Mandrake partially due to personal preference btw, and others may like something else again. I'm also assuming your friends computer is already capable of graphics tasks under Windows.

Hope some of this helps.

GS

ftgs

babbs

#13 Post by babbs »

noip,

"Admin babbs" almost deleted your "other than Puppy" posting... :twisted: JUST KIDDING.

I dual boot Puppy and Fedora. After learning and loving Puppy, I kept -- and continue to use -- Fedora for two reasons, I really like Quanta for web design and my web server is also on a Fedora box.

If you have the option, my recommendation would be to load GrafPup and one of the "other" distros with grub and let the user compare. Sure wine will allow for the continued use of the same program, but the user may like the options available in Graf better.

Babbs

rarsa

#14 Post by rarsa »

It is my humble oppinion that she may be better off reinstalling Windows and configuring and securing it.

You don't specify what problems she is having.

Maybe and that's a big maybe, If she want's to try the Linux graphic toolset, also provide her with a Grafpup live CD. With this she will not miss her familiar environment (what she uses at work) but she can also see if Gimp meets her personal needs.

noip

#15 Post by noip »

Babbs,

Yes, when I see questions like this, I see how things can go wrong very quickly and the end user just throws up their hands and abandons Linux. Novell did a survey recently about which programs people would like to see ported to Linux - I think Photoshop came out on top, or amongst the top three. It transpired, that despite the existence of tools like Gimp, the artists didn't want to learn a new way of doing what they could already do.

I also know someone, who whilst extrememly competent, is very much the "Master and Commander" personality, and I've seen him just throw Linux out the window because he didn't have the patience to understand "the zen" as it were. He could never work out why I had such little trouble, and he just couldn't get it to work.

So having seen how end users can react, I've learnt the hard way that a softly, softly approach is better - in this case a Windows re-install may be the initial way - dual boot and give wine a try with whatever distro. Possibly the most important thing is not to strand the woman with something that doesn't quite suit her at home, when she desperately needs to get that bit of work done.

As a start, rarsa may even have the best solution.

Rgds

GS

ftgs

LittleSpooky

#16 Post by LittleSpooky »

One can't run Winblows on a Smackinsquash (Mac). Those are the computers at work (environment), and those are irrelavent. As for the problem she was having at home, once again, irrelavent in terms of the question I asked.

When I was asking about compatibility, I meant JUST THAT. Can you run Adobe CS with Puppy? NOTHING ELSE. Please don't speculate on anything beyond that. I didn't ask for people to trouble-shoot the problem at home. That's what I can do because I'd be sitting in front of the machine in question. The issue at home has been resolved, however, she's not opposed to learning about Linux in any way shape or form. I've fooled with Puppy, so naturally this is what I'm going to suggest. I know nothing of SuSe or Ubangee or whatever, so why would I recommend something I'm not familiar with?

And she didn't ask if was compatible, I did.

Pardon me if I sound short, but Nathan F, babbs, and Bruce B answered the question at hand, sufficiently and very well.

rarsa

#17 Post by rarsa »

Pardon me if I sound short,
Is 'short' an euphemism for rude? It's amazing how people can be rude and not even realize it.

Maybe if you learn to write concicely and to the point, the answers would be that way too.

Your post had two distinct topics: You first asked about Adobe CS compatibility and that was fully answered.

You then went to say the following (In case you forgot):
I have a friend of mine who's having issues with her computer, and I got talking to her about switching over to Pup Pup and some of the benefits of doing so... Her big concern is AdobeCS.
My post addressed this, I didn't speculate on anything else.
I've fooled with Puppy, so naturally this is what I'm going to suggest. I know nothing of SuSe or Ubangee or whatever, so why would I recommend something I'm not familiar with?
That I know how to use a hammer does not mean that I will use for screws. Not everything is a nail.

So again. The best way for not getting aswers you don't want is to have a concise question. Or even better! Don't ask in an open forum.

I would expect at least an appology for your ruddeness. Unless of course you are on your period in which case I am able to understand.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

LittleSpooky

#18 Post by LittleSpooky »

How about my grandmother is dying and we're counting the hours. Will that satisfy you?

My mistake for asking questions in this forum.

If I need help, I'll go elsewhere.

noip

#19 Post by noip »

If I need help, I'll go elsewhere
Please do.

GS

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think".

babbs

#20 Post by babbs »

noip wrote:Babbs,

Yes, when I see questions like this, I see how things can go wrong very quickly and the end user just throws up their hands and abandons Linux. Novell did a survey recently about which programs people would like to see ported to Linux - I think Photoshop came out on top, or amongst the top three. It transpired, that despite the existence of tools like Gimp, the artists didn't want to learn a new way of doing what they could already do.
<snip>
I used Photoshop when I still had Windows, although not professionally, but still a bit more than the average user. Since I haven't had Windows for some time now I found Gimp pretty easy to learn once I realized that <insert function> in Photoshop was the same as <xyz> in Gimp.

I this situation, I believe that a slow transition is probably best. Allow her to continue doing work at home while learning more about Linux. To me, its more important to move another Windows user away from Windows and into the world of Linux, than it is to argue about which flavor of Linux is better. It may take some trial and error to find which distro works best for her.

She might be most happy with a Windows/Puppy (or GrafPup) dual boot. Do the graphics in Windows, but only go online with Puppy. My work laptop is like that. It has WinXP on it, but I never go online in WinXP... Puppy LiveCDs are the BEST! :D

Long live Puppy!
Babbs